• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paul Collingwood should be the captain in Tests and ODI's

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
Seriosuly he is a really good captain as shown here in the T20 worldcup. He should be named captain for Tests and ODI's also

Discuss.....

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not been impressed. His batting and fielding have suffered and I think the field placings etc have been heavily influenced by the others in the side (eg KP)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No,Strauss is a good test captain,end of.

Can see a reason to give him the 50 over job because Lumb and Kieswetter could go as the openers to the World Cup.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Seriosuly he is a really good captain as shown here in the T20 worldcup. He should be named captain for Tests and ODI's also

Discuss.....
Not convinced that Strauss's record in our last two test series is a sacking offence.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Strauss is not losing the Test captaincy. I'd argue whether he's actually the best choice, as I still think KP should be captain in all forms, but I don't think Collingwood's shown enough with his captaincy to warrant being given it in all forms, but he might as well have it in ODi's too. Strauss hasn't been too flash in ODi's with the bat. I'd actually rather see Pietersen as ODi and T20i captain, but that's not going to happen.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morgan, Moore, Joyce - possibly Taylor - Ramps and Tres as well of course :)
Will have to wait and see I suppose. Morgan would have to have a pretty special season IMO. I know he's done well in ODIs and T20Is but his FC record is really nothing special, last season he was appalling and he's not yet proved himself at that standard.
Would probably go for Joyce at this very moment in time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Expecting Morgan to debut before the Ashes, tbh. Has ice water for blood & seems to thrive on the big stage.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Haha, yeah, knowing Colly he'll play his way to within one innings away from being dropped and then pull a century out of his backside. :happy:
Not the sign of a great player but the surely the sign of a strong personality. I have been guilty of calling for the sacking of Collingwood from the team before, his style looks way short of test cricket when out of touch, but I respect his character and he is slightly better than people give him credit for.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Will have to wait and see I suppose. Morgan would have to have a pretty special season IMO. I know he's done well in ODIs and T20Is but his FC record is really nothing special, last season he was appalling and he's not yet proved himself at that standard.
Would probably go for Joyce at this very moment in time.
Morgan's List A and ODi record before making his debut for England wasn't anything special either; remember seeing a post by Uppercut iirc pointing out how Morgan had only scored runs against terrible opposition. I guess it's the same in FC cricket. Morgan's clearly good enough for Test cricket though, has taken to ODi's for England like a duck to water. He's been exceptional, and he really should be next in line for the Test side. Don't think he'll play in the Ashes though. I think we're going to end up playing 5 bowlers, so either Wright, or maybe even Flintoff could end up in the XI. I see Fred being tempted back for 1 final Ashes tour if he's fit enough and gets a few games for Lancs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Expecting Morgan to debut before the Ashes, tbh. Has ice water for blood & seems to thrive on the big stage.
Pity he can't bat unless the criteria is "reverse scoop for 8 balls'

Seriously, the guy has no fc runs and you expect him to step up to test cricket?

He might score runs against Bangladesh but I'd be amazed if he averaged 20 against a half reasonable test team

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Seriously, the guy has no fc runs and you expect him to step up to test cricket?

He might score runs against Bangladesh but I'd be amazed if he averaged 20 against a half reasonable test team
lol

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain

Tour Match: Middlesex v South Africans at Uxbridge, Jul 4-6, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Not a bad innings against bowlers such as Steyn, Ntini and co. He scored over a 1000 runs and averaged around 50 the season before last.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Personally think Collingwood is a captain with far more steel and determination than Strauss. having said that, I dont believe he's one of the better test batsmen that England have produced. Let him continue to perform regularly with the bat in that format first before considering it.