• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dilemma...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Ok the jist of it is im 22 (23 soon) and ive never played a game of cricket in my life (bar at school at play time which i can hardly count ;)), oh and the summers i use to practice doing my best shane warne impression in the garden :)
So as ive being a fan of cricket for as long as i can remember i thought its about time i sorted that out and started playing.
But most teams are only looking for young players or older players with expericence.
As im an older player with no experience i was wondering how difficult it would be to get into a team?
I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone knows any teams that basically are desperate :)

Any info on club cricket would also be nice as i dont have a clue how it all runs ;)

Thanks in advance.

SpaceMonkey.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Visit www.play-cricket.com

It's the official ECB club network and there are at least 1000 sites on it, so you ought to find a team near you. There will be contact numbers there.

Most clubs will take extra hands as they're often short of players, and there are plenty of places where you can help out around the club if you don't play - coaching/helping with transport for junior cricket for example!

Let us know how you get on :)

Craig

World Traveller
Hyperthectically if I were to come to England I wanted to play club cricket, you there be any qualifications I would need to play? I once read on the Accrangton CC site that to be a professional I need to have played at least 7 FC matches or to play as an amatuer I would need to be a resident.

Is this true?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's the Lancashire League which is the highest standard of Club Cricket in the country. Anywhere else in the country and I don't think there are many rules at all.

Certainly aren't in the Lincolnshire League.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Hyperthectically if I were to come to England I wanted to play club cricket, you there be any qualifications I would need to play? I once read on the Accrangton CC site that to be a professional I need to have played at least 7 FC matches or to play as an amatuer I would need to be a resident.

Is this true?

The Lancashire league is so good it is a bit like the gap between club and county cricket i guess...

Pretty much all sides down here (Somerset) would have vacancies for any age/nationality/experience... There certainly arent rules for that...

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm 18 and I last played club cricket in the U-18 grade in 2001/02.

Does anyone know what the easiest club grade is for an 18 year old (too old to play under 18s) in Auckland?

I suppose there's always social grade cricket, but I'd prefer something more serious, but equally crap:lol: I have no desire to return to the weekly pants crapping "what fast bowlers am I going to face this week" ritual. I am a very paranoid person.:)

thierry henry

International Coach
Ummm, thanks Craig, although I don't think that was really necessary:) :P I'm more interested in some peoples insights into the level of competition I suppose.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
So I could move to Yeovil, and join up with a club there is no problems?

Or you could move to Taunton (which is nicer) and has the county ground on your doorstep, and a load of good clubs..

chris.hinton

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Ok the jist of it is im 22 (23 soon) and ive never played a game of cricket in my life (bar at school at play time which i can hardly count ;)), oh and the summers i use to practice doing my best shane warne impression in the garden :)
So as ive being a fan of cricket for as long as i can remember i thought its about time i sorted that out and started playing.
But most teams are only looking for young players or older players with expericence.
As im an older player with no experience i was wondering how difficult it would be to get into a team?
I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone knows any teams that basically are desperate :)

Any info on club cricket would also be nice as i dont have a clue how it all runs ;)

Thanks in advance.

SpaceMonkey.
There are clubs in Worcestershire.... look on the yellow pages or look at your local club Kidderminster Victoria and they will ask you to play next year and you could attend the senior nets in thw winter and you will get games... but get Praticing