Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Dilemma...

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar

Dilemma...

Ok the jist of it is im 22 (23 soon) and ive never played a game of cricket in my life (bar at school at play time which i can hardly count ), oh and the summers i use to practice doing my best shane warne impression in the garden
    So as ive being a fan of cricket for as long as i can remember i thought its about time i sorted that out and started playing.
    But most teams are only looking for young players or older players with expericence.
    As im an older player with no experience i was wondering how difficult it would be to get into a team?
    I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone knows any teams that basically are desperate

Any info on club cricket would also be nice as i dont have a clue how it all runs

Thanks in advance.

SpaceMonkey.

Banned
    You should find a club. Might be a but hard...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Visit www.play-cricket.com

It's the official ECB club network and there are at least 1000 sites on it, so you ought to find a team near you. There will be contact numbers there.

Most clubs will take extra hands as they're often short of players, and there are plenty of places where you can help out around the club if you don't play - coaching/helping with transport for junior cricket for example!

Let us know how you get on
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Hyperthectically if I were to come to England I wanted to play club cricket, you there be any qualifications I would need to play? I once read on the Accrangton CC site that to be a professional I need to have played at least 7 FC matches or to play as an amatuer I would need to be a resident.

Is this true?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    That's the Lancashire League which is the highest standard of Club Cricket in the country. Anywhere else in the country and I don't think there are many rules at all.

Certainly aren't in the Lincolnshire League.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Craig
    Hyperthectically if I were to come to England I wanted to play club cricket, you there be any qualifications I would need to play? I once read on the Accrangton CC site that to be a professional I need to have played at least 7 FC matches or to play as an amatuer I would need to be a resident.

Is this true?

The Lancashire league is so good it is a bit like the gap between club and county cricket i guess...

Pretty much all sides down here (Somerset) would have vacancies for any age/nationality/experience... There certainly arent rules for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

So I could move to Yeovil, and join up with a club there is no problems?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yes, the way it's going, it'd be Somerset!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    I'm 18 and I last played club cricket in the U-18 grade in 2001/02.

Does anyone know what the easiest club grade is for an 18 year old (too old to play under 18s) in Auckland?

I suppose there's always social grade cricket, but I'd prefer something more serious, but equally crap I have no desire to return to the weekly pants crapping "what fast bowlers am I going to face this week" ritual. I am a very paranoid person.

Here Thierry, be grateful I have done this for you:

HERE!

Contacts for clubs

I dont live in Auckland anymore so I cant help you anymore then I have nor do I know which part of Auckland it is you live in.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Ummm, thanks Craig, although I don't think that was really necessary :P I'm more interested in some peoples insights into the level of competition I suppose.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Craig
    So I could move to Yeovil, and join up with a club there is no problems?

Or you could move to Taunton (which is nicer) and has the county ground on your doorstep, and a load of good clubs..

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar

Re: Dilemma...

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
    Ok the jist of it is im 22 (23 soon) and ive never played a game of cricket in my life (bar at school at play time which i can hardly count ), oh and the summers i use to practice doing my best shane warne impression in the garden
    So as ive being a fan of cricket for as long as i can remember i thought its about time i sorted that out and started playing.
    But most teams are only looking for young players or older players with expericence.
    As im an older player with no experience i was wondering how difficult it would be to get into a team?
    I live in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone knows any teams that basically are desperate

Any info on club cricket would also be nice as i dont have a clue how it all runs

Thanks in advance.

SpaceMonkey.
    There are clubs in Worcestershire.... look on the yellow pages or look at your local club Kidderminster Victoria and they will ask you to play next year and you could attend the senior nets in thw winter and you will get games... but get Praticing

Thread Information