• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowler survival round of 16

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Seeing Donald get shellacked in the votes brings a tear to my eye. So so underrated.
I don't think it was any reflection on Donald, most of us rate him as nothing short of brilliant. He was just unfortunate to be up against the bloke I daresay many of us consider to be the very best of all.

Himannv

International Coach
I don't think it was any reflection on Donald, most of us rate him as nothing short of brilliant. He was just unfortunate to be up against the bloke I daresay many of us consider to be the very best of all.
Exactly. Just a bad draw for Donald. He could have held his own against most of the others I reckon.

Himannv

International Coach
So, 3 Pakistanis, 2 West Indians, 2 Australians and 1 New Zealander get through to the quarters...

One might get the feeling that there should have been 1 more West Indian (and probably 1 Englishman).

Garner and Barnes are probably a bit unlucky to miss out (Nothing against Waqar and Lillee though, both champion fast bowlers in their own right).
Yeah Barnes in particular is a surprising omission. Voted for both Garner and Barnes to no avail.

Teja.

Global Moderator
My ideal eight would have differed slightly from this list with Garner and Trueman in and Akram and Ambrose out.

Barnes I believe is the finest bowler ever, but whether he was a fast bowler is a matter of speculation and finally, opinion.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why did this suddenly turn into a string of battles? It would have been better if for the last 16 everybody picked their top 12 and then their top 8 and so on down to 6, then 4, then 2 and then had a final. The battle player v player format has become a bit tired and the most popular don't necessarily "survive".

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why did this suddenly turn into a string of battles? It would have been better if for the last 16 everybody picked their top 12 and then their top 8 and so on down to 6, then 4, then 2 and then had a final. The battle player v player format has become a bit tired and the most popular don't necessarily "survive".
Well the plan was always to run it this way.

Three rounds should be enough to accurately seed players, especially as players were seeded for round 3.

The reason I've gone to a standard round of 16/quarters/semis/finals format was that honestly, it was both far too much work for me personally to do. It took half an hour to an hour to compile each of the group results stages (and around two hours to do the wildcard round).

Admittedly the workload would have gotten less as the rounds progressed, but not significantly so. Either way, this should be the most definitive ranking of fast bowlers that CW has seen. Or at least that's the marketing line. :laugh: