Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 214

Thread: *Official* Zimbabwe Tri-Series (Zimbabwe, India, Sri Lanka)

  1. #196
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Plus points for SL up to now is the form showed by Randiv, Fernando and Thushara. Randiv is bowling with guile and latter two producing some pace. The pitch was not assisting fast bowling at all, but these two were able to beat batsmen for pace.

    Indian and Pakistani bastmen will find these two interesting to handle on normally juicy Dambulla track in the Asia cup.
    I think spinners on the whole looked fairly all right for the series so far. Also Dilshan seems like he's found some sort of form again.

  2. #197
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Taylor is so good.. Fantastic to see from Zim.. I know they are playing weakened sides, but you also look at the fact that there are less than 10 million people in Zimbabwe, and they basically lost all their players in the early part of the decade.. Great to see the fight is still there..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  3. #198
    State Vice-Captain laksh_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,175
    Looks like someone's getting a ticket to IPL soon... And that someone is??????
    Friends, I've started a group for all the WCL fans on facebook. So, who ever is interested pls join... Search "Non-Test Cricket Playing Nations!" in facebook. Thanks...

    Cricket Is The Best Sport On Earth, It Deserves More Respect, More Partispating Nations & More Fans. Lets Do Our Best To Spread The Game, Friends.

    <<<<<LAKSH>>>>>

  4. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Taylor is so good.. Fantastic to see from Zim.. I know they are playing weakened sides, but you also look at the fact that there are less than 10 million people in Zimbabwe, and they basically lost all their players in the early part of the decade.. Great to see the fight is still there..
    Just 10 million people?? Incredible!


  5. #200
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Just 10 million people?? Incredible!
    About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from

  6. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from
    That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

    Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
    Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.

  7. #202
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

    Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
    Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.
    No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..

  8. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..
    Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

    It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.

  9. #204
    International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

    It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.
    Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

    Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.

  10. #205
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

    Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.
    same with Pakistan

  11. #206
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,573
    Zimbabwe won me money. Good result all round.

    Thought it was money down the drain when SL were 1/100 or something similar.

    SL and India being done by spinners is funny ****, even if its their 3rd XIs.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  12. #207
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from
    Yep, China should be dominating world cricket right now.

  13. #208
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,552
    Wow, that was Zim's first win over Sri Lanka in 7 years and only their second in 11 years, some 30 international games (ODIs, Tests and 20/20). Awesome.

  14. #209
    State Vice-Captain popepouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,132
    Looks like that new franchise is working wonders. That and their older players coming back. I'm happy for them.

  15. #210
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Coventry should have been sent in earlier. He's a much better batsman than some of the others who came in before him.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. India v Sri Lanka Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 05:13 PM
  2. 98/99 Feast or Famine?
    By Goughy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •