Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: *Official* Zimbabwe Tri-Series (Zimbabwe, India, Sri Lanka)

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Plus points for SL up to now is the form showed by Randiv, Fernando and Thushara. Randiv is bowling with guile and latter two producing some pace. The pitch was not assisting fast bowling at all, but these two were able to beat batsmen for pace.

Indian and Pakistani bastmen will find these two interesting to handle on normally juicy Dambulla track in the Asia cup.
    I think spinners on the whole looked fairly all right for the series so far. Also Dilshan seems like he's found some sort of form again.

Pinball Champion!
    Taylor is so good.. Fantastic to see from Zim.. I know they are playing weakened sides, but you also look at the fact that there are less than 10 million people in Zimbabwe, and they basically lost all their players in the early part of the decade.. Great to see the fight is still there..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Looks like someone's getting a ticket to IPL soon... And that someone is??????
    Friends, I've started a group for all the WCL fans on facebook. So, who ever is interested pls join... Search "Non-Test Cricket Playing Nations!" in facebook. Thanks...

Cricket Is The Best Sport On Earth, It Deserves More Respect, More Partispating Nations & More Fans. Lets Do Our Best To Spread The Game, Friends.

<<<<<LAKSH>>>>>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Taylor is so good.. Fantastic to see from Zim.. I know they are playing weakened sides, but you also look at the fact that there are less than 10 million people in Zimbabwe, and they basically lost all their players in the early part of the decade.. Great to see the fight is still there..
    Just 10 million people?? Incredible!

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Just 10 million people?? Incredible!
    About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from

Banned
    About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from
    That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
    Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.

Pinball Champion!
    That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
    Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.
    No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..

Banned
    No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..
    Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.
    Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.
    same with Pakistan

Zimbabwe won me money. Good result all round.

Thought it was money down the drain when SL were 1/100 or something similar.

SL and India being done by spinners is funny ****, even if its their 3rd XIs.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Yep, China should be dominating world cricket right now.

Wow, that was Zim's first win over Sri Lanka in 7 years and only their second in 11 years, some 30 international games (ODIs, Tests and 20/20). Awesome.

Looks like that new franchise is working wonders. That and their older players coming back. I'm happy for them.

Coventry should have been sent in earlier. He's a much better batsman than some of the others who came in before him.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information