• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Zimbabwe Tri-Series (Zimbabwe, India, Sri Lanka)

Sir Alex

Banned
About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from
That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.

Langeveldt

Soutie
That bears no logic as majority of Indians don't even consider devoting a career to such sports. It's not like a better population automatically assures a higher per capital skill level is it? Rather on the contrary limited resources shared among higher population would reduce resources per person and produce a large base of average quality. It's still a 11 vs 11 contest out there.

Look at Jamaica and how they pawned US in athletics in last Olympics.
Or England's Ashes record against Australia for a large part of last 20-30 years.
No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..

Sir Alex

Banned
No, but say you are looking for prodigies, Warnes etc that crop up once every generation and are destined to become superstars at a certain sport, then its strange how the population of a country has no bearing on how many appear. Look at Barbados and the number of "special" cricketers that have been produced there.. I guess Zimbabwe are doing well at the moment because they have no individual stars, and India didn't pick theirs..
Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Prodigies perhaps are born one every million but then there is no guarantee they all get discovered right? India mightbe fortunate to have a Sachin Tendulkar but perhaps there might be a thousand Tendulkars working in tea shops. call centres or as CEOs out there right? Arjun, a poster here, has a nice signature in that respect "Talent is nothing without opportunity".

It's a strange combination of self awareness, opportunities, and luck.
Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Totally agree. The Indian middle class try to keep as much distance as possible from cricket as a profession. Education is the path to a better future is totally ingrained into us. I have seen so many guys who were pretty good (not saying they were Sachins in the making) but were forbidden from cricket by their parents after Class 10 as they are to concentrate on their studies.

Another big problem with Indian cricket is getting recognized. There is so much politics involved in selecting any age group team. A lot of talent has to make way for sons of administrators. Once this happens they decide to play safe and start studying and no one knows how good they could have been.
same with Pakistan:@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zimbabwe won me money. Good result all round.

Thought it was money down the drain when SL were 1/100 or something similar.

SL and India being done by spinners is funny ****, even if its their 3rd XIs.

Himannv

International Coach
About 11 Million at the turn of the century, we've got a couple of million here now though.. The numbers playing the game there are high though, which is encouraging.. But yeah, it always amazes me how countries like India can still not win so many competitions despite having such an advantage in terms of people to pick from
Yep, China should be dominating world cricket right now. :ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, that was Zim's first win over Sri Lanka in 7 years and only their second in 11 years, some 30 international games (ODIs, Tests and 20/20). Awesome.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Looks like that new franchise is working wonders. That and their older players coming back. I'm happy for them.

Himannv

International Coach
Coventry should have been sent in earlier. He's a much better batsman than some of the others who came in before him.

masterblaster

International Captain
It's so good to see Zimbabwe doing well again and that some of their best and most deserving players are back in the squad. They thoroughly deserve their success.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played SL. Dilshan's capatincy looks better than Sanga's. He's unfortunate not to get man of theseries award.

Himannv

International Coach
Yeah I thought Dilshan would scoop up both the man of the match and man of the series awards. Doesn't matter. On the whole a good outing for the team and we managed to get some worthwhile experience to some good young prospects.

Well done to Sri Lanka.I gotta say them and India play way too many meaningless tri series though....one in Bang and now one here.