• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nice to see Amla perform yet again, maybe he will finally get an extended run in the side now instead of a temp job.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nice to see Amla perform yet again, maybe he will finally get an extended run in the side now instead of a temp job.
5th fastest in history to 1,000 ODI runs - only Pietersen and Richards (21), Greenidge and ten Doeschate (23) have managed it in fewer than the 24 innings it's taken Amla to reach the landmark.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Like this SA team a lot more. AB is capable behind the stumps, obviously not of Boucher's caliber but adds the extra batsman. One change I would make is bring in Petersen for Duminy who is struggling a lot. Other than that, the bowling looks good. McLaren is a much bowler than Albie and although he leaves a hole as a power hitter, Miller looks like a better prospect. There's also Parnell to come back from injury.

Shifter

5th fastest in history to 1,000 ODI runs - only Pietersen and Richards (21), Greenidge and ten Doeschate (23) have managed it in fewer than the 24 innings it's taken Amla to reach the landmark.
Interesting stat. Its a mystery why he has been overlooked for the likes of the well past it Gibbs all this time.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
How many more years of Ramdin mediocrity am I going to be looking at?
A lot more I fear. He is far too complacent in his position and who can blame him when Fletcher is the competition chosen by the selectors?

I missed most of our chase but tuned in on time to see the local umpire give a farcical lbw decision against JT because Botha shouted at him for a few seconds longer than usual:laugh:.

Oh my we are in a mess. All the alternative players are on tour, some perfectly talented players just aren't performing and our local West Indian umpires are even worse than the players.

God help us! If there are not huge changes to the squad after Monday I will not even bother watching a single ball. It simply isn't worth my time to watch people who aren't fit to wear the maroon representing me. I would think that even Mike (a very conservative West Indies fan if he doesn't mind me saying so:)) will want changes after this carp.

Last edited:

Shifter

I missed most of our chase but tuned on in time to see the local umpire give a farcical lbw decision against JT because Botha shouted at him:laugh:.
I haven't seen it but Cricinfo has a much different description.

Botha to Taylor, OUT, 99.9 kph, gone this time, in bizarre fashion, it pitched in line, Taylor left it, and ushered it on to his pad, and it's plumb

Beamer

I haven't seen it but Cricinfo has a much different description.

Botha to Taylor, OUT, 99.9 kph, gone this time, in bizarre fashion, it pitched in line, Taylor left it, and ushered it on to his pad, and it's plumb
Yes I saw that and I really can't understand that commentary. Anyone watching could have told you it was going down leg side by a fair distance.

Obviously the match was already over so it doesn't really matter but the manner of the lbw decision gives an insight into just how bad these West Indian umpires are.

akilana

International 12th Man
The useless Duminy and Tsotsobe should go for Petersen/Ingaram and Parnell when he returns from injury. If McLaren improves his batting a bit, this is a well balanced SA team.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I would think that even Mike (a very conservative West Indies fan if he doesn't mind me saying so:)) will want changes after this carp.
"Mike want changes"? :blink: you must be mad!! :laugh: , as far as i'm concerned these players running around in the great WI shirt ARE NOT CRICKETERS!!, the same old clowns have been letting us down for years so why would things be any different now? i was calling for changes before we played Zimbabwe so that we could see if the youngsters could cut it and in turn create more options for this series but that notion was ridiculed by certain posters 8-) , we might not have a choice now because a white wash on home soil is simply NOT acceptable.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Fletcher is such a rubbish cricketer at this stage in his career, he should hang out with Imrul Keyes, both would have heaps in common.

Beamer

"Mike want changes"? :blink: you must be mad!! :laugh: , as far as i'm concerned these players running around in the great WI shirt ARE NOT CRICKETERS!!, the same old clowns have been letting us down for years so why would things be any different now? i was calling for changes before we played Zimbabwe so that we could see if the youngsters could cut it and in turn create more options for this series but that notion was ridiculed by certain posters 8-) , we might not have a choice now because a white wash on home soil is simply NOT acceptable.
Let me clarify that I'm not for dropping Gayle, Sarwan or Shiv anytime soon. It's the Fletcher, Ramdin, Deonarine, Miller's of this World that need to step up big time and provide support to the men that have been carrying our ODI side for far too long. At the moment they are proving unworthy and hurting all West Indian fans with their incompetence.

The only thing that keeps me going through these few matches is the thought that soon we will have Barath, Braithwaite and Lil Bravo providing us with much joy and entertainment as they take the places of those mentioned above.

The big 3 have absolutely outstanding ODI records, dropping them would be madness.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Let me clarify that I'm not for dropping Gayle, Sarwan or Shiv anytime soon. It's the Fletcher, Ramdin, Deonarine, Miller's of this World that need to step up big time and provide support to the men that have been carrying our ODI side for far too long. At the moment they are proving unworthy and hurting all West Indian fans with their incompetence.

The only thing that keeps me going through these few matches is the thought that soon we will have Barath, Braithwaite and Lil Bravo providing us with much joy and entertainment as they take the places of those mentioned above.

The big 3 have absolutely outstanding ODI records, dropping them would be madness.
Agreed. What's also really concerning is the bowling as well. Would be good to see a couple outstanding bowlers, pace especially, coming throug

Beamer

Agreed. What's also really concerning is the bowling as well. Would be good to see a couple outstanding bowlers, pace especially, coming throug
Yep when Roach and Edwards are injured our pace attack lacks fire. JT is excellent but inconsistent and injury prone. Rampaul is not that quick and again ridiculously inconsistent.

Baker is rubbish, Pascal is pacy but expensive, Gabriel and Bess are tall and fast but nowhere near ready. Jason Holder is not quick but tall and has Ambrose like accuracy and menace.

In the short term I think we will have to focus on spin against teams like the Proteas tbh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yep when Roach and Edwards are injured our pace attack lacks fire. JT is excellent but inconsistent and injury prone. Rampaul is not that quick and again ridiculously inconsistent.

Baker is rubbish, Pascal is pacy but expensive, Gabriel and Bess are tall and fast but nowhere near ready. Jason Holder is not quick but tall and has Ambrose like accuracy and menace.

In the short term I think we will have to focus on spin against teams like the Proteas tbh.
So is Roach injured again? I was wondering why he wasn't playing tonight (wasn't at home to check). Agree on Rampaul though.

So do you think any of Gabriel/Bess/Roach/Holder have the potential to lead the attack? They are all fairly young though I suppose.

The Windies seem to be churning out the spinners, Shillingford (sp?) in particular so perhaps that could work in the short to medium turn. From what I've read from yours and other posts I don't think batting will be the main concern in the future, especially with Gayle and Sarwan still relatively young, but mainly the bowling. it must also be of concern that Roach keeps getting injured.

Last edited: