• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

shivfan

Banned
I looked here
International Cricket Council

Smith is there but no mention of Hinds. Maybe the ICC have just stuffed up and its not been recorded.

BTW Hinds was fined for deliberiately overstepping the popping crease and throwing the ball at Smith. The spitting in this instance was not the reason Hinds was charged or fined.
On the contrary, the spitting incident fell under the category of 'unacceptable conduct'. I remember it well, because I was watching the match. The news coverage and the commentators at the time were talking more about his spitting than his overstepping the crease. That's why he was initially hit with a Level 3 offence at the time, before Crowe reduced it....

Now, what's happened to Steyn? Is he going to get off scotfree?
:unsure:
No word from the match referee yet....

Is this yet another case of hit the West Indian when he transgresses, but let the guy from the bigger nation off with jsut a slap on the wrist?

I hope not....

Is this yet another case of hit the West Indian when he transgresses, but let the guy from the bigger nation off with jsut a slap on the wrist?

I hope not....

There musr be hundreds of instances where the WI get punished and the bigger nations get a slap on the wrist.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeeeez! Couple of grown up kids fighting over a pathetic lousy Benn? Come on - drop it guys!
Without a doubt the most immature debate in CW history, the constant childish ":laugh:" & "8-)" smileys along with the feeble attempts at condescension make it all the more unbearable.

On the series.....a thoroughly dominate away performance by the African's

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh look i have another "detractor"!! :no:, i could mention NZ's recent results but what's the point?!! everyone knows the deal already!! :ph34r: .
You have been warned before for this sort of thing. Cut it out, and cut out the condescending use of smilies while you're at it.

shivfan

Banned
Yep, it does seem that Steyn has gotten off scotfree....

I guess it's okay to spit in the direction of West Indian players then.
8-)
If the roles were reversed, and it was Benn doing the spitting, action probably would've been taken against him.

Interestingly, on caribbeancricket.com, posters predicted that because it was a Saffer who was spitting, the match referee would not be as hard on him as he was on Hinds back in 2005. Sadly, they were right....

It says something for the unbalanced way in which match referees deal with instances concerning the smaller teams. First, Chris Broad and his rubbish in Australia, and now this.
:@

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You have been warned before for this sort of thing. Cut it out, and cut out the condescending use of smilies while you're at it.
So someone says this about me and WI cricket..

What is sad is that when I read all of the replies that WW makes on this forum, and all of the arguing he does with people, it makes me want the West Indies to lose. Seriously, I looked at the scorecard and was glad they got such a hiding, becauce I didn't want WW to be proved right.
And there's no warning? :unsure: i know i ain't no saint but that blatantly stepped over the line imo.

akilana

International 12th Man

8-)
If the roles were reversed, and it was Benn doing the spitting, action probably would've been taken against him.

Interestingly, on caribbeancricket.com, posters predicted that because it was a Saffer who was spitting, the match referee would not be as hard on him as he was on Hinds back in 2005. Sadly, they were right....

It says something for the unbalanced way in which match referees deal with instances concerning the smaller teams. First, Chris Broad and his rubbish in Australia, and now this.
the whole world is against WI, isn't it?

WindieWeathers

International Regular

8-)

Call it what it is Mike!!, if they refuse to punish Steyn then the ICC are simply prejudice against us :@ , and so are them incompetent referees who cost us big style with some shocking errors!!.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ok you two, I've deleted 19 posts of complete and utter rubbish so that no-one else has to read it. Stick to discussing the cricket without baiting and insulting each other please.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Benn is clearly a moron if he thinks that staring out Mark Boucher is going to make a blind bit of difference to anything. Boucher is far too experienced to be fazed by some idiot gawping at him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ok you two, I've deleted 19 posts of complete and utter rubbish so that no-one else has to read it. Stick to discussing the cricket without baiting and insulting each other please.
And because of that, from a moderator's perspective, that page of this thread is probably the funniest yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Benn is a vastly improved performer and would probably have decent stats if he had bowled lots against Bangladesh. That is a given, but he still has a lot to do before I will start bigging him up as much as WW is. Kemar Roach on the other hand, is something to shout about for all West Indies fans and we really need spmething to shout about during these dark times.
There's a whole lot to be excited about with Roach. He's far from world class still, but he's smart, passionate, quick, relatively accurate, and very much devoted to WI cricket (kisses the badge after each wicket). Certainly more promising than practically every fast bowling talent I've seen since Reon King.

shivfan

Banned
I see my pessimism was premature, and for that I apologise....
:)
WI v SA: Dale Steyn, Kemar Roach fined for disciplinary run-ins | Cricket News | West Indies v South Africa 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Jeff Crowe certainly took his time about it, but I think he arrived at the right decision.

1) Dale Steyn - fine of 100% of his match fee. That's consistent with the fine Wavell Hinds received for a similar incident in 2005.

2) Kemar Roach - fine of 50% of his match fee. Passion is good, but he lost it a bit towards the end. Fair enough....

3) Suleimann Benn - not punished. That is consistent with what happened in 2005 as well. Graeme Smith's sledging started the incident in 2005, and he also got off without any punishment. Consistency is key.

So, hats off to Jeff Crowe! Chris Broad could learn something from you....

I'd lost faith in match referees after Broad's rubbish in Australia, but Crowe has restored my faith in the institution.

akilana

International 12th Man
Surprised that benn was not punished for his 'laugh' in the face of a dismissed batsman and constantly roaming around many batsmen giving them earful. That's inconsistency. oh well it wasn't Watson.

Last edited: