Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* South Africa in West Indies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    I would blame the pitches than the teams. With that pitch, it's hard to force a win.
    Exactly....

If the WIndies take all ten wickets on today's final day, I will eat my hat!

Quite frankly, it's wishful thinking to believe the Windies can force a win, on this road, no matter how much of a lead they had on first innings, and how many risks they'd taken in trying to push on the scoring.

I believe the approach they took was the realistic one - make sure that you're not in a losing position on a dead batting track first, and when that is certain, then try to get into a winning position. Bravo joined Shiv at 371-4, a good 170 runs behind, they were 420-odd overnight. If they'd taken the attack to the negative Saffer bowlers, took risks, they might've got out like Gayle and Deo did when they tried to push the scoring. Then, with the fragile tail, the Windies would be 100 runs behind, and South Africa would be in a position to score rapidly, set the WI a target of 200-odd by lunch, and it becomes another nervy fourth innings batting display on the final day, a la the England tour of the Caribbean last year....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
    WW, you have convinced me that Colin Croft is a crap commentator. And that's about it!

Now then, the game as it is: Any chance of quick wickets to fall on day 5? I don't think so...
    Croft always chatted a load of rubbish, usually motivated more by a desire to secure personal headlines, rather than to provide genuine insights into the situation in particular. Thankfully, he's not a selector, and never will be....

As for the game itself, this is still a road they're batting on, so I expect this game to peter out into a draw.

As for Shiv and Nash, they were never under 'pressure' for their places. It's not like the younger guys were scoring tons of runs and demanding a place in the side.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Yeah because Croft would do so much worse than the current selectors right? it wasn't Croft begging for Dowlin to play either Mike!!.. so if anything i thank god you're not anywhere near the selection panal!! .

P.S. It's funny seeing my detractors patting eachother on the back!!, i guess they think someone replying to my post with a smiley face has obviously "put me in my place"!! .

Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    Yeah because Croft would do so much worse than the current selectors right? it wasn't Croft begging for Dowlin to play either Mike!!.. so if anything i thank god you're not anywhere near the selection panal!! .

P.S. It's funny seeing my detractors patting eachother on the back!!, i guess they think someone replying to my post with a smiley face has obviously "put me in my place"!! .
    Yeah, the whole world is against you WW

On a serious note, I've mentioned this before & I'll mention it again. you'd certainly do yourself a small favour by dropping the babyish 'laughing' smiley & sarcastic 'eye-roll' smiley on every other post. Just a thought considering most posters are out of high-school

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!

Whereas if you were a selector we'd see 17 year old batsmen that average 20 odd in FC cricket and bowlers with less then a handful of FC wickets brought into the test team because they performed in the Under 19 World Cup?

Travis Dowlin before this series had played in four matches and averaged somewhere near 40, unless you have someone better you can't just drop him. Yeah, he basically has no future with West Indies cricket but while Adrian Barath is out injured he just has to be the next batsmen picked (or this was the case before the last two matches anyhow).
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Seriously, I don't understand why some of the people on here have to make an argument out of everything. You do realise it's possible to have a reasonalbe conversation about West Indian selectorial decisions, right? You're almost like a West Indian Scaly, although possibly with less swearing.

Although I generally agree with Howsie's points, it is most likely fair that Dowlin kept his place at least for the first couple of tests, given that he had been reasonably proficient in the few tests he had played before this series, although his faults have been rather exposed by the South Africans.

Yesterday was, from what I saw, hugely dissapointing for any fan. While I can sort of understand Shivfan's points, I still think that it is poor form to play cricket that sluggishly, especially given that the pitch they were batting on was equally as flat as the Day 3 pitch where West Indies had rattled aong at around four an over and also that, in all honestly, there's next to no chance of West Indies losing this test.
    My Supporting XI: V Sehwag, T Iqbal, S Katich (c), K Sangakkara, S Chanderpaul, E Morgan, S Al Hasan, M Rahim (+), G Swann, D Steyn, Z Khan

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Shilly is quite a decent bowler
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Loving the Windies banter around Amla right now as well

Quote Originally Posted by Flyonthewall View Post
    You're almost like a West Indian Scaly, although possibly with less swearing.
    And braincells.

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Whereas if you were a selector we'd see 17 year old batsmen that average 20 odd in FC cricket and bowlers with less then a handful of FC wickets brought into the test team because they performed in the Under 19 World Cup?

Travis Dowlin before this series had played in four matches and averaged somewhere near 40, unless you have someone better you can't just drop him. Yeah, he basically has no future with West Indies cricket but while Adrian Barath is out injured he just has to be the next batsmen picked (or this was the case before the last two matches anyhow).
    Clearly you haven't understood my views about Brathwaite, it's not just about his performances in the u19 world cup, that would be utterly frivolous and if that was the case i'd be calling for Shane Dowrich, Akeem Dwear and Yannic Cariah right now too, i've been backing Brathwaite because of his performances for Barbados at the end of the last regional season and for A-team against Zimbabwe of which he scored an 80 and 64, he let himself down a little in England recently but there's no doubt in my mind he would have scored more runs than Dowlin in this series, no doubt at all,

Dowlin getting a few lucky knocks doesn't mean jack to me, i knew he was rubbish and people like Mike tried to act like he was Barath #2!!, he might get himself a few runs today on this track but he's a waste of space imo and we would have done better with Dwayne Bravo or Deonarine opening instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    And braincells.
    Ah look it's a guy who makes an avatar bet on England's football team winning their first group game at a World Cup with an Italian manager. How'd that work out for you by the way?
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    And braincells.
    And your "Einstein" right? at least i'm bright enough to comprehend that this thread is about 'WI vs South Africa' and NOT WindieWeathers!! .

If you have a problem with my posts i'm sure there's a red box with an X in the middle that can put you out of your misery!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Shilly is quite a decent bowler
    How good do you think he can be with more experience G-S? as good as Swanny possibly?.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Ah look it's a guy who makes an avatar bet on England's football team winning their first group game at a World Cup with an Italian manager. How'd that work out for you by the way?
    I meant "less swearing and braincells" ie. less braincells.
    Keep hating though.

And your "Einstein" right? at least i'm bright enough to comprehend that this thread is about 'WI vs South Africa' and NOT WindieWeathers!! .

If you have a problem with my posts i'm sure there's a red box with an X in the middle that can put you out of your misery!!.
    Nah man, you're funny.

Page 53 of 79 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread Information