• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He was riling up the SA players.. did that to Boucher.. then was laughing at Steyn. Later was having words with Prince and has a history of getting ugly with players. Therefore he is an idiot and prat.
What "history"? one incident in Australia of which Johnson barged into him and suddenly "he's an idiot"? 8-) so he had a few words with the opposition!!. isn't that part of the game? :unsure: and you dodged the question so i'll ask it again!!.. does that give Steyn the right to spit at him? .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Oh yes, a stellar 42 wickets @ 37.55 picking up a wicket every 80 balls. Wow - you've convinced me.
You just can't help being other peoples mouthpiece it seems!! 8-) , look at WHO he took his wickets against and then revise that view, i mean one of his 4fers came against your beloved England when we bowled your lot for 51 runs!!, so the "stats" don't tell the full story!!.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Steyn should not have spat at Benn but for some bizarre reason the big West Indian can't seem to help himself when it comes to controversy. His behaviour in Australia was pretty ordinary at times.

Briony

International Debutant
And a comment about Steyn :mad2: , if that prat isn't banned for a long spell after spitting in Benn's direction then imo it's clear the ICC are prejudice!!, "best fast bowler in the world" or not that behavior is simply unacceptable, they came down on Benn like a ton of bricks even though it was Johnson who barged into him in the Australia series so lets so how they react to this incident!! 8-) .
Disagree, I thought it was actually Benn who charged Johnson. Haddin provoked a bit of what went on and he and Benn were the most culpable. Benn had been aggressive and asking for trouble. Steyn should be censured for what he did but he won't attract a huge penalty given that the ICC often seems to be lenient on some less than acceptable behaviour.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Steyn should not have spat at Benn but for some bizarre reason the big West Indian can't seem to help himself when it comes to controversy. His behaviour in Australia was pretty ordinary at times.
Clearly Benn is a troublemaker. You only have to look at his club career to see that. But I can't help shake the feeling that people are trying to defend the indefensible here, Steyn should be punished severely for that behaviour and that is pretty much that.

Also it takes two to tango and Johnson's behaviour in Australia was equally deplorable. The general feeling in the West Indies camp was that he got away with behaviour that was just as bad as Benn's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You just can't help being other peoples mouthpiece it seems!! 8-) , look at WHO he took his wickets against and then revise that view, i mean one of his 4fers came against your beloved England when we bolwed your lot for 51 runs!!, so the "stats" don't tell the full story!!.
I speak for myself - no matter how many times you attempt to label me otherwise - it just happens that a number of people have the same opinion (and I wonder why that may be?)

It doesn't matter who the wickets come at when they're only coming every 13-14 overs and are costing the best part of 40 runs a time - it's not really an acceptable tally to be classed as passable, let alone the world class you seem to want him to be.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope that's an absolute myth now IMO, Hamilton and Walton are just as good behind the stumps as he is, Ramdin's glove work has been anything but great in the series and if he isn't dropped now it would be a damn miracle!!, i also agree that Deo hasn't done himself any favors at all, and neither has Nash to be honest!!.
Walton is pretty good, but still looks nervous behind the stumps when I've seen him. Hopefully that will improve with his 'A' team experience. Can't recall seeing Hamilton (he's Leewards right?) so I'll take your word for it.

I think Nash has done enough. He's not been getting himself out per se, in this series, and a couple of dismissals have been downright unlucky. He's certainly shown a better propensity to stay at the crease and actually try to score runs. But yes, there's (thankfully) a bit of pressure on him to come good.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Clearly Benn is a troublemaker. You only have to look at his club career to see that. But I can't help shake the feeling that people are trying to defend the indefensible here, Steyn should be punished severely for that behaviour and that is pretty much that.
Steyn definitely should be punished, yes. Especially since he's constantly dishing out verbals, and now he can't take it? From a spinner?

Also, regarding Benn, I found it pretty funny when he told Gayle he wouldn't bowl over the wicket in the ODI series, because he couldn't. Said it's not something he'd worked on in practice. Lol'd.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I speak for myself - no matter how many times you attempt to label me otherwise - it just happens that a number of people have the same opinion (and I wonder why that may be?)

It doesn't matter who the wickets come at when they're only coming every 13-14 overs and are costing the best part of 40 runs a time - it's not really an acceptable tally to be classed as passable, let alone the world class you seem to want him to be.
"A number of people agree"? what two others? :laugh: and no "labels" would be needed you stopped trying to talk for others every five minuets 8-) , the fact is Benn has been getting better and better over the last 18 months and has taken big wicket hauls against the top ranked sides in the world, apart from Swann which other spinner is doing better than Benn? Hauritz and Botha? :lol: .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Walton is pretty good, but still looks nervous behind the stumps when I've seen him. Hopefully that will improve with his 'A' team experience. Can't recall seeing Hamilton (he's Leewards right?) so I'll take your word for it.

I think Nash has done enough. He's not been getting himself out per se, in this series, and a couple of dismissals have been downright unlucky. He's certainly shown a better propensity to stay at the crease and actually try to score runs. But yes, there's (thankfully) a bit of pressure on him to come good.
Walton broke some record for the most catches in his only Test against Bangladesh so he clearly knows how to use the gloves, the problem with him now though is he's performing like Ramdin with the bat for the A-team!!, which is a shame because he started so well, so for me i'd promote Hamilton and give him the chance, the kid proved he can bat in the last regional season and he's handy with the gloves too, there's also Dowrich waiting in the wings but it might be a little too soon for him.

As for Nash, he had one decent knock on a crap pitch but otherwise he's been just as bad as the others Mr M!!, i'm just sick of these guys now, i think Samuels would be better in his position to be honest.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As for Nash, he had one decent knock on a crap pitch but otherwise he's been just as bad as the others Mr M!!, i'm just sick of these guys now, i think Samuels would be better in his position to be honest.
And as I said, he's hardly been giving it away in this series. Sometimes you get good balls- that's life. Sometimes you get unlucky- that's cricket. Fact is that Nash has been on of the most consistent, and consistently hardworking, batsmen for West Indies (and West Indies 'A' for that matter) over the past year.

He has more credit in the bank than Deonarine.

Howsie

International Captain
"A number of people agree"? what two others? :laugh: and no "labels" would be needed you stopped trying to talk for others every five minuets 8-) , the fact is Benn has been getting better and better over the last 18 months and has taken big wicket hauls against the top ranked sides in the world, apart from Swann which other spinner is doing better than Benn? Hauritz and Botha? :lol: .
Swann
Hauritz
Shakib
Harbhajan
Kaneria
Herath

Also you keep bringing up his 4fer against England at the start of last year, why? After that test match he averaged 45.7 with the ball up until this series with South Africa.

Here, just in case you don't believe me :) Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Howsie

International Captain
Nah, just looking at spin bowlers averages since the start of 09 Benn actually has a better average and strike-rate then Vettori.