Page 39 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* South Africa in West Indies

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    And another point, on other forums people are calling for Marlon Samuels to be rushed back in, having him at five instead of someone like Deonarine would have been brilliant, he's been playing a lot for Jamaica recently so at least he's back in the groove of things, though calling him back so quickly might be too much of a risk, but i guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    They were the only shining light for me GS, Shilly had a very good debut and Benn carried on taking wickets, for me they should stay in the side for a while now, the problem is our batting is so bad it's frightening, Gayle is too hit and miss, Chanders can't seem to stay at the crease for extended periods like he used to, Nash is playing stupid shots, and once we get to Bravo it seems only a matter of time before a total collapse ensues, now it's a case of do we play an extra batter and sacrifce a bowler? they've got some hard decisions to make,

I expect Roach to be back, i pray Barath and Sarwan are too but i wouldn't bet on it, if they aren't then Richards will probably replace Dowlin and i'd play Darren Bravo now, i'd also maybe look at Sammy instead of Dwayne Bravo to be honest..

Gayle
    Richards
    Darren Bravo
    Chanders
    Deonarine
    Nash
    Sammy/Bravo
    Ramdin
    Shillingford
    Benn
    Roach

Might be the way to go, an extra batter just might make us much more competative, and Sammy/Bravo could back up Roach with the bowling, with Deo and Gayle adding more spin if Benn and Shilly need a rest, i don't want to see Rampaul anywhere near the side ever again, the guy is a total waste of space.
    Agree with Rampaul. Doesn't seem to offer much.

Don't think Sammy should play instead of Older Bravo. Doesn't offer as much with the ball or bat despite bravo not exactly being at his best.

The only problem with your lineup is that there's no great options for Roach to open the bowling with. What will the pitch me be like for the next test? I won't post my side up until we know about the injuries but that side looks dangerously short on any bowling other than spinning options. How long is Taylor still injured for?
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Agree with Rampaul. Doesn't seem to offer much.

Don't think Sammy should play instead of Older Bravo. Doesn't offer as much with the ball or bat despite bravo not exactly being at his best.

The only problem with your lineup is that there's no great options for Roach to open the bowling with. What will the pitch me be like for the next test? I won't post my side up until we know about the injuries but that side looks dangerously short on any bowling other than spinning options. How long is Taylor still injured for?
    Don't know how long Taylor is out, apparently it was a hip injury and not the back problems that kept him out earlier this year, i'd guess he might have a chance of making it,

Taylor
    Roach
    shilly
    Benn

Would of course be my first choice bowling unit, my worry though is the top order just can't seem to cope, if we have an extra batsman to push us over 300 then we might be able to at least draw a game, it's gonna be a hard decision to make,

We have a kid named Andre Russell who just took a 5fer against India A the other day (and earlier this summer took a two 4fers and scored a ton against Ireland for Jamaica) who bowls as fast as Roach and has fantastic potential, the added bonus is he can actually bat very well too, someone like him backing up Roach would have been great because he could at least add something to our batting department aswell, but i guess the selectors would think he's "too inexperienced" to get a chance right now.
    Last edited by WindieWeathers; 14-06-2010 at 12:45 AM.

I will get Bravo Jnr for Dowlin and Sammy for Rampaul.

This will be my side

Gayle
    Bravo snr
    Deo
    Shiv
    Nash
    Bravo jr
    Sammy
    Ramdhin
    Shill
    Benn
    Roach.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Don't know how long Taylor is out, apparently it was a hip injury and not the back problems that kept him out earlier this year, i'd guess he might have a chance of making it,

Taylor
    Roach
    shilly
    Benn

Would of course be my first choice bowling unit, my worry though is the top order just can't seem to cope, if we have an extra batsman to push us over 300 then we might be able to at least draw a game, it's gonna be a hard decision to make,

We have a kid named Andre Russell who just took a 5fer against India A the other day who bowls as fast as Roach and has fantastic potential, the added bonus is he can actually bat very well too, someone like him backing up Roach would have been great because he could at least add something to our batting department aswell, but i guess the selectors would think he's "too inexperienced" to get a chance right now.
    I guess it depends on the fitness of Taylor/Roach as to how my lineup would change. The batting just needs Barath and Sarwan to return most importantly of all.

I did notice Andre Russell, was having a look at him the other day. He is far too inexperienced though and ultimately, the selectors should be looking to nurture such players for the future, rather than focusing on what will probably be a losing cause in the present. That's why I'd still be hesitant in playing Lil Bravo now. Though he could prove to be extremely successful straight away, I'd prefer to see the next generation of Windies talent being eased into tougher competition, rather than thrust upon one of the best teams in the world. In saying that, I'm not overly against lil bravo playing if both Sarwan and Barath remain injured as a means of bolstering what otherwise looks like a very weak batting line up.

They were the only shining light for me GS, Shilly had a very good debut and Benn carried on taking wickets, for me they should stay in the side for a while now, the problem is our batting is so bad it's frightening, Gayle is too hit and miss, Chanders can't seem to stay at the crease for extended periods like he used to, Nash is playing stupid shots, and once we get to Bravo it seems only a matter of time before a total collapse ensues, now it's a case of do we play an extra batter and sacrifce a bowler? they've got some hard decisions to make,

I expect Roach to be back, i pray Barath and Sarwan are too but i wouldn't bet on it, if they aren't then Richards will probably replace Dowlin and i'd play Darren Bravo now, i'd also maybe look at Sammy instead of Dwayne Bravo to be honest..

Gayle
    Richards
    Darren Bravo
    Chanders
    Deonarine
    Nash
    Sammy/Bravo
    Ramdin
    Shillingford
    Benn
    Roach

Might be the way to go, an extra batter just might make us much more competative, and Sammy/Bravo could back up Roach with the bowling, with Deo and Gayle adding more spin if Benn and Shilly need a rest, i don't want to see Rampaul anywhere near the side ever again, the guy is a total waste of space.
    Really don't think that can work with only two pace bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Is there such thing as a "more dangerous" bowler than Steyn?
    Morkel's probably been their most dangerous this year in terms of taking wickets and roughing up the batsmen. Steyn is fast and moves the ball but Morkel continually unsettles the batsmen. When they toured Australia, Morkel wasn't in his best form but most Aussie batsmen interviewed said they least liked facing him.

Predictable result tbf, SA were always going to be far too strong for the Windies for mine, even if playing away. Would love nothing more than to see WI bounce back in the 2nd test, but honestly, can't see it.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    West Indies are a poor side and South Africa for me are the best around so this result was always likely.I expect more of the same in the remaining games unless Roach can produce something remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Morkel's probably been their most dangerous this year in terms of taking wickets and roughing up the batsmen. Steyn is fast and moves the ball but Morkel continually unsettles the batsmen. When they toured Australia, Morkel wasn't in his best form but most Aussie batsmen interviewed said they least liked facing him.
    Batsmen will always say that, Steyn's style of bowling won't put a batsman in physical danger the way Morkel's can, he'll just take your wicket again and again and again.

Banned
    I admire your optimism, Windie....

As for me, I'm spending more time following Caribbean athletes in the Diamond League. At least there they're world beaters. I'm not torturing myself with this sorry bunch!

Well, as everyone knows, I'm a Chanderpaul fan, but I'm concerned at his decline in recent times. That said, I still maintain that he should play all the matches of this series, and then a decision by taken about his form after that. I'm also disappointed at the manner of Nash's batting in the second innings, which was out of character. It's sad that Gayle was the only batsman capable of hitting a half-century in the entire match.

As far as I know, Roach, Taylor, Sarwan and Barath are all still injured, which does not provide us with many options for the Test in St Kitts....

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Steyn has taken 32 wickets in 5 games @ 18.12 with a wpm of 6.4 and a SR of 33.5(!) including an immortal match-snatching spell against India with 3 5w and 1 10w

Morkel has taken 23 wickets in 5 games @ 23.04 with a wpm of 4.6 and a SR of 42.7 with his only 5w coming against England at Cape Town in a draw.

No doubt Morkel has been exceptional but Steyn has been divine.

Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post
    I admire your optimism, Windie....

As for me, I'm spending more time following Caribbean athletes in the Diamond League. At least there they're world beaters. I'm not torturing myself with this sorry bunch!

Well, as everyone knows, I'm a Chanderpaul fan, but I'm concerned at his decline in recent times. That said, I still maintain that he should play all the matches of this series, and then a decision by taken about his form after that. I'm also disappointed at the manner of Nash's batting in the second innings, which was out of character. It's sad that Gayle was the only batsman capable of hitting a half-century in the entire match.

As far as I know, Roach, Taylor, Sarwan and Barath are all still injured, which does not provide us with many options for the Test in St Kitts....
    "Optimism" Mike? it's easier to take when you already know what's coming, i was saying before the Zimbabwe series that these guys are finished but everyone started jumping on my case, there comes a time when you have to say enough is enough, if the whitewash happens i believe the status quo should be let go and a new bunch brought in with the intention of getting them prepard for the Sri Lanka series in December,

Gayle hinted that it might be the same team for the next Test , if that's the case then **** it, i'm not gonna bother watching it, it's almost beyond embarrssing now seeing them chuck away every great opportunity and then fall like a stone when it's time to step up.
    Last edited by andyc; 14-06-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Filter avoidance

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    WW, please don't avoid the filter. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen a post of yours where you've done it. If you're going to swear, either asterix all of it or just type it out and let the filter take care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    WW, please don't avoid the filter. This is the second time in the last couple of days I've seen a post of yours where you've done it. If you're going to swear, either asterix all of it or just type it out and let the filter take care of it.
    Pardon me Andy, i didn't know about the filter stuff.

Page 39 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread Information