• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still amazed that South Africa continue picking Harris. Even if it is spinning he can't bowl people out. You can't rely on batsmen to continue committing suicide against him. So you've basically got an end blocker who's a crap batsman. Pointless. Surely there must be some ambition to pick someone who is actually half-decent at one of the three disciplines?
Before 2009, might have disagreed with this, especially in light of no better options. But he's certainly not doing the job he was picked for of late. Might be time to look around?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Before 2009, might have disagreed with this, especially in light of no better options. But he's certainly not doing the job he was picked for of late. Might be time to look around?
Buying time for Tahir? The only other options are Botha and Robbie P.

Flem274*

123/5
Barath
Brathwaite
Powell
Darren Bravo
Hughes
Dwayne Bravo (C)
Russell
Devon Thomas/Jahmar Hamilton (wk)
Shilly
Benn
Roach
cool team

they aren't names who have been picked on a whim.
Shot bro

So not a complete overhaul, just about 8 changes and dropping all of the actual good players for unproven ones.

Yet you call the CEO of the WICB the idiotic one?
Its always the other guy whose the ****** with the flamethrower.

Flem274*

123/5
And another point, on other forums people are calling for Marlon Samuels to be rushed back in, having him at five instead of someone like Deonarine would have been brilliant, he's been playing a lot for Jamaica recently so at least he's back in the groove of things, though calling him back so quickly might be too much of a risk, but i guess desperate times call for desperate measures.
I thought you liked Deonarine?

maybe look at Sammy instead of Dwayne Bravo to be honest..
Quoted for hilarity.

Gayle
Richards
Darren Bravo
Chanders
Deonarine
Nash
Sammy/Bravo
Ramdin
Shillingford
Benn
Roach.
Make up your mind already. The other team was cooler bro. Need to get rid of Gayle and start scouting pre-schools for sum talentz imo.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Still think Rampaul's a better bowler than Sammy but it's not by that much and the tail is epically bad at the moment. Sammy would strengthen the team even if he'd very marginally weaken the bowling.
Nah, I think Rampaul is a pretty dire bowler. Can just completely lose it all too often for an international bowler and doesn't seem to threaten too much. Sammy has 27 wickets at 27.74, so far in Test cricket and has 16 FC fifties, he is a much more valuable option, imo. Stats are boosted by two five wicket hauls against Bangladesh, but he also has seven against England, showing he can do it against high quality (:ph34r:) opposition too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Were they made in pressure situations? :unsure: it's easy to turn it on when we've already lost the game!!, and as i said it's not just about his performances, his attitude and ability to lead must also come into question.

If he stands up when we really need him in the next two Tests then fair enough, but i'm yet to be convinced that he will.
You're the one who's always banging on about the team's improved showing in Australia, a huge chunk of that was down to Gayle's batting. Not only did his unbeaten ton in the 2nd Test earn you a draw, it put the Windies in a position where they might have won the Test.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. Gayle has carried Windies batting for a while ever since Shiv started his rapid decline. If anything, its time for the other batsmen to actually put their hand up, rather than suggesting Gayle should be dropped when he is the one holding this team together by the string of thread

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I thought you liked Deonarine?

Quoted for hilarity.

Make up your mind already. The other team was cooler bro. Need to get rid of Gayle and start scouting pre-schools for sum talentz imo.
Another well informed and conducive post by my NZ groupie i see!! 8-) .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You're the one who's always banging on about the team's improved showing in Australia, a huge chunk of that was down to Gayle's batting. Not only did his unbeaten ton in the 2nd Test earn you a draw, it put the Windies in a position where they might have won the Test.
And where was he in the first Test? 8-) as i said before he's too hit and miss and his lack of leadership skills is killing the team spirit imo.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And where was he in the first Test? 8-) as i said before he's too hit and miss and his lack of leadership skills is killing the team spirit imo.
Err, hitting in two of three Tests having gotten pinned by two decent balls in the first Test is not being hit and miss.

And, honestly, how would you know anything about the inner workings of the team? Press reports don't really count.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Err, hitting in two of three Tests having gotten pinned by two decent balls in the first Test is not being hit and miss.

And, honestly, how would you know anything about the inner workings of the team? Press reports don't really count.
His failure to perform in the first test put us on the backfoot from the very start, so yet again we were behind the ball by the time he hit his big scores, and yes press reports do count because they have inside sources.

I understand that Gayle being dropped anytime soon is not likely to happen, but i just want a fresh start with new faces now, i believe it's time to embrace the great youngsters we've got coming through and Gayle hasn't got the right personality to guid them in the right way.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His failure to perform in the first test put us on the backfoot from the very start, so yet again we were behind the ball by the time he hit his big scores, and yes press reports do count because they have inside sources.

I understand that Gayle being dropped anytime soon is not likely to happen, but i just want a fresh start with new faces now, i believe it's time to embrace the great youngsters we've got coming through and Gayle hasn't got the right personality to guid them in the right way.
Throwing a bunch of kids to the slaughter isn't the way to do that. In Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul, you've got three batsmen who are good enough at this level and the kids need to be added gradually to the batting lineup. Simply throwing in a bunch of kids to be beaten again and again will do nothing for West Indies cricket.

Besides, you repeatedly point to the performance in Australia as a sign that the West Indies are improving. Gayle was the key batsman in that series, it completely baffles me that you're choosing to ignore that.

Flem274*

123/5
throwing a bunch of kids to the slaughter isn't the way to do that. In gayle, sarwan and chanderpaul, you've got three batsmen who are good enough at this level and the kids need to be added gradually to the batting lineup. Simply throwing in a bunch of kids to be beaten again and again will do nothing for west indies cricket.

Besides, you repeatedly point to the performance in australia as a sign that the west indies are improving. Gayle was the key batsman in that series, it completely baffles me that you're choosing to ignore that.
awta.