• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Worst last-ball finish I've seen since the England v New Zealand ODI a couple of summers ago which involved the body-check run out, when England managed to completely forget out backing-up and, much to the delight of neutrals everywhere, tossed the game away.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Amla is in some form...whaddaplaya!

Last 10 ODI innings of Hash;

80; 57; 86; 11; 34; 87; 102; 92; 34; 58*
Last 10 in Tests aren't bad either;

19, 100, 2, 6, 14, 95, 75, 253*, 114 and 123*

He's in alright form isn't he.

Ouch, Gayle doesn't appear to be very happy with Sulieman Benn in the post-match presentation. What exactly did Benn do/not do?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Last 10 in Tests aren't bad either;

19, 100, 2, 6, 14, 95, 75, 253*, 114 and 123*

He's in alright form isn't he.

Ouch, Gayle doesn't appear to be very happy with Sulieman Benn in the post-match presentation. What exactly did Benn do/not do?
Feign injury by the sounds of it.

Poor game. Windies had 3 guilt edge opportunities to win a game that they should have lost with balls to spare. Amla may need to spend the night at the hospital, he looked ill.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Benn refused to bowl over the wicket which was the plan set by Gayle and the management team so they sent him off the field.

Benn has such a bad attitude. He is not a good enough bowler to behave in such a manner and get away with it, especially with the likes of Shillingford putting in consistently good performances and about 10 other West Indian spinners having much better FC records.

I think this might be a blessing in the long run tbh.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Benn refused to bowl over the wicket which was the plan set by Gayle and the management team so they sent him off the field.

Benn has such a bad attitude. He is not a good enough bowler to behave in such a manner and get away with it, especially with the likes of Shillingford putting in consistently good performances and about 10 other West Indian spinners having much better FC records.

I think this might be a blessing in the long run tbh.
Shilly is gonna play in the tests anyway Beamer, but we NEED Benn too because like i've been saying from the start the Saffies don't like spin, Miller is currently injured and in any case i don't think he's good enough so unless we're gonna give Khan or Brown their debut alongside Shillingford Benn has to play, at the end of the day he has a 4fer against England and a 5fer against Australia, the man knows how to perform on the big stage,

As for the game, well just more heartbreak in the end, but i still maintain the belief that we'll turn up in the Tests big style, that's our best players forte, Taylor and Roach missing from our bowling attack didn't do us any favors at all either, what gave me great joy though was seeing Darren Bravo show everyone what he's all about, the kid is gonna be one hell of a batter for us in the long term.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Shilly is gonna play in the tests anyway Beamer, but we NEED Benn too because like i've been saying from the start the Saffies don't like spin, Miller is currently injured and in any case i don't think he's good enough so unless we're gonna give Khan or Brown their debut alongside Shillingford Benn has to play, at the end of the day he has a 4fer against England and a 5fer against Australia, the man knows how to perform on the big stage,

As for the game, well just more heartbreak in the end, but i still maintain the belief that we'll turn up in the Tests big style, that's our best players forte, Taylor and Roach missing from our bowling attack didn't do us any favors at all either, what gave me great joy though was seeing Darren Bravo show everyone what he's all about, the kid is gonna be one hell of a batter for us in the long term.
While the Windies may need Benn he needs to be taught a lesson and dropped. Otherwise, this behaviour will continue into the future and the team as a whole will suffer then. Clearly he hasn't learned anything from his past indiscretions yet and they may end up costing the team even more than just a potential LO victory

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Here's the story....

Chris Gayle sends Sulieman Benn from the field | Cricket News | West Indies v South Africa 2010 | Cricinfo.com

"I actually asked him to leave the field,' Gayle told reporters after the game. "As a captain, it was a situation like you ask a particular bowler to do it and he said he had never done certain things before. That's why you have practice sessions, to practise. I asked him to simply bowl over the wicket. I don't see why it should be a problem. He wasn't up for it and if you're not up for it, why give that particular bowler the ball. I just see it that he [Benn] doesn't want to take part. It was my call to actually ask him to leave and tell him that he is not needed anymore."

I agree with Beamer. We don't 'need' any player who refuses to follow instructions from his captain, whoever he is. The WI management need to issue a warning to Benn, drop him, fine him, etc. If the WICB don't take a strong line against Benn, then they're undermining the authority of Gayle, and he may as well quit as WI captain. If Miller is injured, and Benn is a psycho, then there are other spinners to turn to - Shilly, Odean Brown, Jaggernauth, etc.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Here's the story....

Chris Gayle sends Sulieman Benn from the field | Cricket News | West Indies v South Africa 2010 | Cricinfo.com

"I actually asked him to leave the field,' Gayle told reporters after the game. "As a captain, it was a situation like you ask a particular bowler to do it and he said he had never done certain things before. That's why you have practice sessions, to practise. I asked him to simply bowl over the wicket. I don't see why it should be a problem. He wasn't up for it and if you're not up for it, why give that particular bowler the ball. I just see it that he [Benn] doesn't want to take part. It was my call to actually ask him to leave and tell him that he is not needed anymore."

I agree with Beamer. We don't 'need' any player who refuses to follow instructions from his captain, whoever he is. The WI management need to issue a warning to Benn, drop him, fine him, etc. If the WICB don't take a strong line against Benn, then they're undermining the authority of Gayle, and he may as well quit as WI captain. If Miller is injured, and Benn is a psycho, then there are other spinners to turn to - Shilly, Odean Brown, Jaggernauth, etc.
You don't rate Imran Khan Mike? :laugh: having played all the A-team games and totally dominated the last regional season shouldn't he be the next in line? a good leggy might do damage against them like Mishra did for India,

I still wouldn't drop Benn though in all honesty, Gayle's just letting the power go to his head, he's been in shocking form himself and he has the nerve to start calling out others? 8-) Benn simply wasn't comfortable bowling over the wicket in that situation, there was no need to publically condemn the man for it.

shivfan

Banned
Imran Khan failed with both the bat and the ball in the unofficial Test series against Bangladesh. He needs to go on the A team tour of England to recapture that form. That said, Jaggernauth is probably out of shape too. So, I think the only serious contenders for replacement are Shilly and/or Brown. After all, Brown is a leggie, and a better one than Khan....

Windie, I can't believe you're supporting the acts of an indisciplined WI cricketer....
8-)
His captain told him to bowl over the wicket, and the bowler refused. I don't care who the captain is - that kind of insubordination cannot be tolerated. Despite all their differences, Warne would never have done that to Ponting.

If you refuse to follow a captain's instruction, then you have no place in the team....

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Imran Khan failed with both the bat and the ball in the unofficial Test series against Bangladesh. He needs to go on the A team tour of England to recapture that form. That said, Jaggernauth is probably out of shape too. So, I think the only serious contenders for replacement are Shilly and/or Brown. After all, Brown is a leggie, and a better one than Khan....

Windie, I can't believe you're supporting the acts of an indisciplined WI cricketer....
8-)
His captain told him to bowl over the wicket, and the bowler refused. I don't care who the captain is - that kind of insubordination cannot be tolerated. Despite all their differences, Warne would never have done that to Ponting.

If you refuse to follow a captain's instruction, then you have no place in the team....
It's pretty hard "following" a captain who doesn't even lead by example himself though, it's one thing calling the shots but if you can't deliver the goods yourself your aurthority is bound to be questioned sooner or later, the bowler is the one who will take the slack if he fails so why not let Benn play his natural game? he was our best bowler by a mile in the 3rd Odi so i don't know why Gayle felt inclined to get involved, if he wanted balls bowled over the wicket he could have easily done it himself 8-) ,

Gayle never seems to take responsibility for his own failings, it's always "someone elses fault", like i've said elsewhere if we get whitewashed in the Tests then enough is enough, the seniors have to pack their bags and it will be time for the youngsters to rise up,

As for Khan, yeah he didn't cover himself in glory against Bang but ironically he did get wickets against South Africa in the other matches, we know on a good day the man can bat so he'd be handy down the order and he's an attacking spinner with a few tricks up his sleeve, he just might be the "wild card" needed that gives the Saffies something to think about, if not him then i guess it's Brown, i wouldn't have a problem with him because he's been taking wickets consistently for a few years now.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Those wickets than Imran took was in the one-dayers, which we really shouldn't use to decide on Test selection. The more important matches are the unofficial Tests, so yes, I think Imran needs another tour to stake his claim, i.e. England. To me, it's between Shilly and Brown....

I'm sorry, I don't care who the captain is - it could be Bravo, Ganga, Sarwan, whoever - Benn's behaviour is totally unacceptable. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks of the level of leadership Gayle is providing. He hardly ever berates players on the field, unlike Lara or Adams, so that reaction by Benn was doubly unacceptable.

You're quite obviously missing something, Windie. If the captain tells you to bowl over the wicket, he has a plan in mind, and you're working towards it. If you don't want to be a part of that plan, get out of the team - simple! Any player who has no intention of following his captain's plan should never be a part of any team in the future....

We need spinners who're prepared to bowl to a captain's plan. Benn is clearly not one of them....

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Those wickets than Imran took was in the one-dayers, which we really shouldn't use to decide on Test selection. The more important matches are the unofficial Tests, so yes, I think Imran needs another tour to stake his claim, i.e. England. To me, it's between Shilly and Brown....

I'm sorry, I don't care who the captain is - it could be Bravo, Ganga, Sarwan, whoever - Benn's behaviour is totally unacceptable. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks of the level of leadership Gayle is providing. He hardly ever berates players on the field, unlike Lara or Adams, so that reaction by Benn was doubly unacceptable.

You're quite obviously missing something, Windie. If the captain tells you to bowl over the wicket, he has a plan in mind, and you're working towards it. If you don't want to be a part of that plan, get out of the team - simple! Any player who has no intention of following his captain's plan should never be a part of any team in the future....

We need spinners who're prepared to bowl to a captain's plan. Benn is clearly not one of them....
Indeed. I think it was mentioned that a clear game plan had been conjured up between gayle and Gibson before as well