• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

shivfan

Banned
Windie, it's a big step up from playing on dead batting strips against Bangladeshi bowlers, to facing Steyn and co on wickets that assist pacers....

As I've said before, let Lil Bravo play the remaining two ODIs, but he has more to learn from touring England with the A team, than being rushed in prematurely against a South African Test team. The England A team is superior to their Bangladeshi equivalent, and the wickets assist bowlers in England. That's the next level for Darren Bravo. Let him cross that bridge first, and then when he passes that test, he can get into the test side.

I know you're the eternal optimist, but it would be useful to read what the WICB CEO has to say about the general absence of talent in the Caribbean....

'More embarrassment in store from West Indies' - Hilaire | West Indies Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

"Until the High Performance Centre, as a structure of support that has been created now [in Barbados] to prepare the next generation, we will suffer a lot of embarrassments and a lot of awfulness, because our present cricketers are not prepared. I have listened to many past players, taxi drivers, immigration officers, and hotel barmen to name a few. All will give you advice on what to do with West Indies cricket. People ask me, 'What will you do about this team? They are an embarrassment'! I tell them you have about three more years of embarrassment still to witness." Hilaire said there was little hope even in those who could take over the reins from the existing senior team. "I keep hearing from people, 'Fire those [current] guys, and bring in new ones!', but where is the new set coming from? Who are we going to bring in? Somebody said to me, 'Bring in the Under-19s. They came third at the Youth World Cup'. And I whispered that almost half of the Under-19 team could barely read or write. The simple fact is that we are producing cricketers who are not capable of being world-beaters in cricket. It's just a simple fact." While acknowledging that there was talent coming through, Hilaire said there was a general failure in the transition to succeeding at the highest level. "We can win matches occasionally, but not consistently with what we have," he said. "It is not that we do not have the talent, but in today's cricketing world, having talent alone means absolutely nothing. For the last nine years, we have been chopping and changing. Between 2000 and 2009, the WICB has tried 59 new players in Test match cricket alone. We have put young men in the international arena only to be slaughtered, demoralised, dejected, and the development path they ought to take never really takes place."

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Windie, it's a big step up from playing on dead batting strips against Bangladeshi bowlers, to facing Steyn and co on wickets that assist pacers....

As I've said before, let Lil Bravo play the remaining two ODIs, but he has more to learn from touring England with the A team, than being rushed in prematurely against a South African Test team. The England A team is superior to their Bangladeshi equivalent, and the wickets assist bowlers in England. That's the next level for Darren Bravo. Let him cross that bridge first, and then when he passes that test, he can get into the test side.

I know you're the eternal optimist, but it would be useful to read what the WICB CEO has to say about the general absence of talent in the Caribbean....

'More embarrassment in store from West Indies' - Hilaire | West Indies Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

"Until the High Performance Centre, as a structure of support that has been created now [in Barbados] to prepare the next generation, we will suffer a lot of embarrassments and a lot of awfulness, because our present cricketers are not prepared. I have listened to many past players, taxi drivers, immigration officers, and hotel barmen to name a few. All will give you advice on what to do with West Indies cricket. People ask me, 'What will you do about this team? They are an embarrassment'! I tell them you have about three more years of embarrassment still to witness." Hilaire said there was little hope even in those who could take over the reins from the existing senior team. "I keep hearing from people, 'Fire those [current] guys, and bring in new ones!', but where is the new set coming from? Who are we going to bring in? Somebody said to me, 'Bring in the Under-19s. They came third at the Youth World Cup'. And I whispered that almost half of the Under-19 team could barely read or write. The simple fact is that we are producing cricketers who are not capable of being world-beaters in cricket. It's just a simple fact." While acknowledging that there was talent coming through, Hilaire said there was a general failure in the transition to succeeding at the highest level. "We can win matches occasionally, but not consistently with what we have," he said. "It is not that we do not have the talent, but in today's cricketing world, having talent alone means absolutely nothing. For the last nine years, we have been chopping and changing. Between 2000 and 2009, the WICB has tried 59 new players in Test match cricket alone. We have put young men in the international arena only to be slaughtered, demoralised, dejected, and the development path they ought to take never really takes place."
"Eternal optimist" Mike? :laugh: i'm optimistic about the youngsters we have coming through who are quite clearly the best bunch we've probably had in around 20 years!!, that foolish "CEO" won't change my line of thinking, i'm looking to the future, relying on the likes of Gayle, Sarwan and Chanders right now is obviously a lost cause but that doesn't mean the likes of Barath, Brathwaite, Chesney Hughes, Darren Bravo, Roach, Holder, Powell, Hamilton, Gabriel, Andre Russell, Akeem Dewar ect are gonna fall by the wayside like others have before them,

And i can see why you'd agree with the CEO to be honest because like him you're prepard to make excuses for the status quo and give them chance after chance!!, i'm simply a fan of moving forward, not standing still and expecting things to change over night.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
In fairness to WindieWeathers, Hilaire did not say it was a lack of talent (because that is so clearly not the truth tbh), he said it is a lack of intelligence (again, this is incredibly obvious at all levels of our cricket).

I also do not like you writing Bravo off based on one dismisal. I'd also like to remind you that he dominated an SA A attack including Tsotsobe and Test spinner Paul Harris as well as the Bangladesh A side.

Lets wait and see how he does in the other two ODI's before saying he is ready or not. You are being too hasty which is precisely what you keep accusing WW of being!

kingkallis

International Coach
No. 5 look a problem. Peterson and Duminy aren't up to snuff.
I dont understand how Petersen is better than Albie or Boucher? Petersen needs to play @ No.3 if the selectors are damn desperate to have him in the team.

Hows that Kuhn guy? I somehow am not positive about seeing ABDV in the keeper role. Damn I'd pay to see him field @ cover or point...

Give gloves to Kuhn and let AB concentrate on his batting only...

Boucher for test matches...
Kuhn for ODIs and T20s if he bats well...he cant do bad than what Petersen is doing down the order!

kingkallis

International Coach
Selectors should let JP play a full season or two in domestic cricket + english county...

He needs to regain his confidence and form back...he is way too talented to get wasted like this!

Briony

International Debutant
The Africans have brought back Duminy for Petersen and Tsotsobe for Steyn. The latter move gives the Windies a big sniff. The Windies have dropped Taylor for Bernard.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I dont understand how Petersen is better than Albie or Boucher? Petersen needs to play @ No.3 if the selectors are damn desperate to have him in the team.

Hows that Kuhn guy? I somehow am not positive about seeing ABDV in the keeper role. Damn I'd pay to see him field @ cover or point...

Give gloves to Kuhn and let AB concentrate on his batting only...

Boucher for test matches...
Kuhn for ODIs and T20s if he bats well...he cant do bad than what Petersen is doing down the order!
Kuhn hasn't really proven himself in the shorter version of the game. I agree that Petersen should be batting higher.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Know he scored fifty odd but Richards is awful on the eyes. Bats a bit like a tailender, doesn't seem to bother to get inline and gets squared up a lot.

Number 5 position for South Africa is a tricky one as there is not many natural number fives around other than Kempie. Duminy looks shot and Virus is an opener/number 3.

Stapel

International Regular
60 runs from the first 10 overs and than 79 from the next 20. A Chanderpaul special.
Yet, 168/2 is a very good position after 35 overs. I can't complain here. Not only hoping but also expecting the Windies to win this!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They've set the platform, so I wouldn't knock Chanderpaul too much. Didn't light the world on fire, but if Pollard comes off its not that bad.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Mike you have converted me, Darren Bravo is totally not ready for this level of cricket, send him back to the A team where he belongs :laugh:.

But in all seriousness I'm not going to get too carried away with that innings and suggest he is going to average 50 in tests, but it shows the stupidity of writing a youngster off after 1 innings.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mike you have converted me, Darren Bravo is totally not ready for this level of cricket, send him back to the A team where he belongs :laugh:.

But in all seriousness I'm not going to get too carried away with that innings and suggest he is going to average 50 in tests, but it shows the stupidity of writing a youngster off after 1 innings.
Did he look convincing when he was batting?

Really hope WI can get up here

shivfan

Banned
In fairness to WindieWeathers, Hilaire did not say it was a lack of talent (because that is so clearly not the truth tbh), he said it is a lack of intelligence (again, this is incredibly obvious at all levels of our cricket).

I also do not like you writing Bravo off based on one dismisal. I'd also like to remind you that he dominated an SA A attack including Tsotsobe and Test spinner Paul Harris as well as the Bangladesh A side.

Lets wait and see how he does in the other two ODI's before saying he is ready or not. You are being too hasty which is precisely what you keep accusing WW of being!
Lil Bravo did play well in this match, didn't he?
:cool:
With regards to Darren's batting in Bangladesh, I was talking mainly about the two 'Tests' against Bangladesh, because I've already written off this ODI series!
:laugh:
I'm just urging caution, because he doesn't exactly seem to be heads and shoulders above everyone else in the side. In the first match, which was a bowler's pitch, he failed, but in the second match, which is good for batting, he got runs, but so did Richards, Chanderpaul, and his brother. Yes, both matches are played at Roseau, but they are clearly different pitches.

As you said in a later post, he will be an even better player after the tour of England. We don't want to make Lil Bravo into another Xavier Marshall....