• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India A tour of England

Sir Alex

Banned
Lord look at those FC batting figures!

Pujara 3692 runs @ 59
Ajinkya Rahane 3621 @ 67
Mukund - 2179 runs @ 54.5
Tiwary - 2846 @ 55

And we have Yuvraj, Raina, Kohli etc talked of as our next best.. ****.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Lord look at those FC batting figures!

Pujara 3692 runs @ 59
Ajinkya Rahane 3621 @ 67
Mukund - 2179 runs @ 54.5
Tiwary - 2846 @ 55

And we have Yuvraj, Raina, Kohli etc talked of as our next best.. ****.
It is what happens when you value ODI figures more than FC figures regarding Test cricket. Tbf though, Yuvi, Raina and Kohli all have solid FC records, removing Tests in Yuvi's case.

Sir Alex

Banned
It is what happens when you value ODI figures more than FC figures regarding Test cricket. Tbf though, Yuvi, Raina and Kohli all have solid FC records, removing Tests in Yuvi's case.
Not anything near what Rahane, Pujara etc are having. **** selectors can't look past IPL.

They might turn out to be Hicks or Ramprakashs, but it is worth the effort trying them out rather than falling back on Yuvraj time and again, or worse accomodate Murali Vijay in the middle order etc.. They toyed with Gambhir like this, he should've ideally debuted when we were struggling to find anyone to open with Sehwag, like Chopra, Bangar etc.

None of them out have any vision. It's limited to the next bloody IPL at best.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at what Yuvi has done, minus Test cricket (and consider that his peak has been spent playing ODI cricket) and what Raina/Kohli have done in the last year or two.

shivfan

Banned
I think this shows that talk about pushing young WI batsmen into the main team early in their careers may just be premature....
:unsure:

Sir Alex

Banned
Look at what Yuvi has done, minus Test cricket (and consider that his peak has been spent playing ODI cricket) and what Raina/Kohli have done in the last year or two.
Lol because you think Yuvraj is past his peak now.

What has Kohli and Raina done except making tonloads of runs against SL or mediocre opposition on airport runways in ODIs and T20s?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol because you think Yuvraj is past his peak now.

What has Kohli and Raina done except making tonloads of runs against SL or mediocre opposition on airport runways in ODIs and T20s?
Kohli and Raina both had strong First Class seasons in the past two years. Remember, that they started FC cricket when they were very young. Yuvraj Singh is not past his peak, but the bulk of his career, at the top of his game, has been spent with the ODI team, not inflating the FC average. The averages of Rahane and co are brilliant, but you must put them into perspective. The pitches are flat, the pace bowlers often slow and runs easy to come by. A 'good' average in an Indian domestic season is a lot higher than, say, in an English season and so this must be taken into account. However, this is still not to say we don't have a plethora of batting talent.

shivfan

Banned
The WI bowlers have done well to peg back the Indians this morning....

So far, Andre Russell has taken 5-44 to restrict India to 217-8.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I think this shows that talk about pushing young WI batsmen into the main team early in their careers may just be premature....
:unsure:
I was at the ground yesterday Mike and the ball did move a ridiculous amount in the morning session, just as it has done today by the looks of things and the Indians had the same problems as us. Batting was a lot more comfortable in the afternoon/evening sessions.

Braithwaite looked extremely solid before getting a rip snorter from Unadkat, who got one to pitch on off stump from around the wicket and leave him exaggeratedly. Tbh I'm not sure the other batsmen would have even got a touch on it but Kraigg did. Most impressively, he plays late and with very soft hands so I reckon he will score heaps of runs on tours of England during his career.

None of the other batsmen, aside from Imran Khan and Bernard Jr, looked close to being ready however. Edwards and Walton looked particularly clueless.

The morning session scores:

Day 1 - West Indies A 63/6

Day 2 - India A 57/7

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Did Unadkat look like the general so called fast bowlers from India or did he look different and actually good?

Sir Alex

Banned
Did Unadkat look like the general so called fast bowlers from India or did he look different and actually good?
Looked pretty much human from what I heard, and girls em say Indian bowlers like Zaheer and Irfan actually look good.

So it's a mixture of both.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What real value do the likes of Rahane, Pujara, Tiwary and Mukund provide? Not much. Some have played too little cricket, even domestic. Mukund, for instance is a greenhorn. Tiwary is massively over-rated, and struggles against attacking bowling, and lacks adequate big hits. They've batted only against domestic bowlers, and haven't played much A-team cricket. Besides, outside of FC cricket, they struggle in limited-overs cricket, suggesting there's a lot missing, which will be opened up. In fact, they may be no different from someone like Wasim Jaffer, who's played loads of FC cricket in India but a failure at a higher level. At least the IPL gives them a chance to face a much higher standard of bowling which Ranji or Duleep Trophy can't replicate with the current setup. Of the current so-called promising young batsmen, only Vijay and Badrinath are good enough for the Test team, and still won't score enough to win a match despite a weak bowling attack.

Sir Alex

Banned
What real value do the likes of Rahane, Pujara, Tiwary and Mukund provide? Not much. Some have played too little cricket, even domestic. Mukund, for instance is a greenhorn. Tiwary is massively over-rated, and struggles against attacking bowling, and lacks adequate big hits. They've batted only against domestic bowlers, and haven't played much A-team cricket. Besides, outside of FC cricket, they struggle in limited-overs cricket, suggesting there's a lot missing, which will be opened up. In fact, they may be no different from someone like Wasim Jaffer, who's played loads of FC cricket in India but a failure at a higher level. At least the IPL gives them a chance to face a much higher standard of bowling which Ranji or Duleep Trophy can't replicate with the current setup. Of the current so-called promising young batsmen, only Vijay and Badrinath are good enough for the Test team, and still won't score enough to win a match despite a weak bowling attack.
Strange post.

Considering India's best ever batting lineup came through the same Duleep & Ranji formats without the so called IPL.

Considering they're playing not in India, but in England against WI bowlers, which arguably is better prospect (from challenge pov) than Indian bowlers on Indian pitches.

Considering IPL's work on current generation is not proven vis-a-vis tests or even ODIs. We all saw how the IPL bred "youngstars" failed massively in Zim.

Considering you have 6.917 posts prior to this!

shivfan

Banned
I was at the ground yesterday Mike and the ball did move a ridiculous amount in the morning session, just as it has done today by the looks of things and the Indians had the same problems as us. Batting was a lot more comfortable in the afternoon/evening sessions.

Braithwaite looked extremely solid before getting a rip snorter from Unadkat, who got one to pitch on off stump from around the wicket and leave him exaggeratedly. Tbh I'm not sure the other batsmen would have even got a touch on it but Kraigg did. Most impressively, he plays late and with very soft hands so I reckon he will score heaps of runs on tours of England during his career.

None of the other batsmen, aside from Imran Khan and Bernard Jr, looked close to being ready however. Edwards and Walton looked particularly clueless.

The morning session scores:

Day 1 - West Indies A 63/6

Day 2 - India A 57/7
This is why I would've like to see Darren Bravo on this tour....

It would've been a good learning experience for him to play on these pitches. Ah, well....

Brathwaite is out, and so is Smith, and WI are 90-2 in their second innings. Phillips and Fletcher need to hit big scores here.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Might this be Unadkat's foray in FC overseas? He's now taken a 10-for at an average of 8 against a reasonable Windies A team.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He wasn't quick, medium/fast I would say, but he moved the ball both ways at will and bowled a wonderful line and length.

He was particularly difficult for the right handers to deal with when he bowled from around the wicket where he got the ball to move away sharply.

I was very impressed with him and I would expect to see him play test cricket in the not too distant future. If the sun comes out on a flat Whitgift School wicket in the next match it will be good to see how he goes. If he does this again then we are talking about a serious bowler in the making.