• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith to take North spot at No 6 for Aus test team

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steve Smith is a freak, will play in the Ashes this year and will go on to dominate the test scene with both bat and ball for a long, long time.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Quite a bold statement there. Would love to see you be right, however.

I'd rather see him suceed as a leg spinner than a batsmen too. Both would obviously be ideal.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Quite a bold statement there. Would love to see you be right, however.

I'd rather see him suceed as a leg spinner than a batsmen too. Both would obviously be ideal.
The ECB pushed mighty hard to entice him over to England. No stone was left unturned on that one. They promised an immediate test spot, all the bells and whistles. There were even whispers that they had words with his mother to try to swing the kid over, play the "ancestral pride" card, but unfortunately (read: sickeningly) for us his dad brought him into cricket and hence the green and gold was running through the veins from the start. In speaking to someone who tends to have the good word on these things, the general feeling from the ECB is that they missed out on a once in a generation cricketer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I've said before, I think it'd be much more beneficial for Smith's career to stay in the Shield for another couple of seasons where he can play as a frontline spinner and learn his trade a bit more. If he came into the Test team now he'd bat six or seven and be the sixth bowler - he'd more than likely handle that now but the team will get a lot more out of him going forward if he can work on his bowling seriously for a little while longer.

Personally I still favour bringing in Hughes or Rogers, dropping Watson or Katich down to four (but no lower - I don't want to see them coming out in the lower middle order as they've both failed there before and look a lot more comfortable in the top order) and moving Hussey to six. Obviously no justification in dropping North now though given what he did last start.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's also no justification for dropping Watto/Katto down the order. It matters far less where they've failed before than where they're both currently succeeding.

Disagree about Smith too. Reckon, even if picked as a batting all-rounder (unlikely, for mine), if he is indeed being groomed as a front-line spinner (which I think he is), he'll progress faster being in the Aussie set-up than wheeling through overs for NSW which will, really, just confirm what is already pretty obvious. Sometimes guys are just so obviously good they'll pick up what they need to succeed and move faster at the top level than they would through orthodox channels.

EDIT: Not saying he should be in the Test side right now. Just against him arbitrarily having to play a season or two for NSW before being considered for selection. Anyway, the selectors seem to rate him pretty highly as a bowler and have been picking him every opportunity they can so if Hauritz has even the slightest form dip, expect Smith to be next in line. It's Taylor/Warne all over again.

Last edited: