• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith to take North spot at No 6 for Aus test team

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah can't see why Katto's spot would be in trouble. Sure the bloke struggles to get to 100 once passing 50 but he's still passing 50 regularly. Hughes has been dominating state attacks but looked out of his depth when thrown back into the Test side. Even his one good knock since being dropped the first time was very streaky.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't mean his spot is in any danger now, but if he has a poor patch, and Hughes is gunning it again, would be at all surprised to see him dropped tbh.

morgieb

North should be ****ed off, but he'll still get picked. Don't think he's doing his job but the selectors are showing faith... 8-)

Andre

International Regular
North should be ****ed off, but he'll still get picked. Don't think he's doing his job but the selectors are showing faith... 8-)
Cricket Records | Trans-Tasman Trophy, 2009/10 - Australia | Records | Batting and bowling averages | Cricinfo.com

That's North's most recent series. Can't do much better than that.

The fact that he got picked for the series was debatable, but fact of the matter is he took his chance and more than did his job.

Not sure what else you'd want out of him other than to keep up the good form - can't make Test runs while we aren't playing them.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket Records | Trans-Tasman Trophy, 2009/10 - Australia | Records | Batting and bowling averages | Cricinfo.com

That's North's most recent series. Can't do much better than that.

The fact that he got picked for the series was debatable, but fact of the matter is he took his chance and more than did his job.

Not sure what else you'd want out of him other than to keep up the good form - can't make Test runs while we aren't playing them.
I'd want him to contribute consistently rather than only when his head is on the chopping block.

morgieb

He just can't score runs under pressure. Scoring runs when everyone else does so at 6 is irrelevant afaic.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
He just can't score runs under pressure. Scoring runs when everyone else does so at 6 is irrelevant afaic.
To be fair, he was under a fair amount of pressure in that 1st test in New Zealand coming in at 150/4 odd and he ended up scoring a ton and had a big partnership with Clarke, there was also a decent amount of talk about Steve Smith aswell.

flibbertyjibber

Can't see the Aussies picking Smith ahead of North.If they follow their usual policy he will be nearly 30 before they give him a chance,either that or he will get a couple of games before being dropped for an older player to replace him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hughes- Has he overcome his weakness against the short stuff?

Clarke- Looks a bit high at number 3 to me.

Number 4 - "?" says it all

....the good news being (for the rest of us) that the above team will not be dominating test cricket for years to come.
Obviously, but the question mark is more to me not really knowing as much as I should about the domestic scene. I'm sure others would have a list of very, very capable names.

And I don't really see anyone better than Clarke at number 3 given that line up. Who else are you going to put there... North?

TumTum

Banned
Hughes has been dominating state attacks but looked out of his depth when thrown back into the Test side. Even his one good knock since being dropped the first time was very streaky.
Dude he has only played 2 Tests after he was dropped. And AFAIC he did pretty well.

Top_Cat

Dude he has only played 2 Tests after he was dropped. And AFAIC he did pretty well.
Hey I'm a fan and I've little doubt he'll be a top Test player but he looked very, very nervy when I was watching, Arnel and Martin had him in real trouble quite a few times. Understandable, on a hiding to nothing, etc. but still, not very reassuring to see big airies outside off from your number 1 or 2 when you're 3 or 4. Good on him for getting as far as he has in a hurry but I reckon the Aussies have backed the right blokes for now.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
I've only read the first page (40 posts), but in the long term teams, Ferguson hasn't got a mention. He should be back to improve after his injury, and will hopefully be a mainstay in the middle order in years to come.

I must say, we're spoilt for choice. I'd like to have Hughes opening, the only way for that is Watson or Katich to slip down the order - exactly what I don't want to happen. I guess we'll just have to stick with our team for now, spots will open up as form slumps/retirements happen.

Oh, and this Cameron White in Tests bull****? No thanks. The guy hasn't done too well in Tests, hit's a ton and a couple of 50's against some pretty average bowlers from Pakistan and the West Indies in ODI's and everyones wanting him in the Test team. For christ sake.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've heard he's a long term replacement, but shoving him straight into #3?

Even Ponting spent quite some time down at 6-ish.

Riggins

International Captain
Yea I guess, Ponting went 6 - 3 because Mark Waugh was already at 4 and pretty much perfectly suited to it, and I think I see Clarke this way aswell.

Maybe north to 3 khawaja 6, if only just to allow enough time for north to show he's **** and get dropped and khawaja to adjust. lol

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've only read the first page (40 posts), but in the long term teams, Ferguson hasn't got a mention. He should be back to improve after his injury, and will hopefully be a mainstay in the middle order in years to come.

I must say, we're spoilt for choice. I'd like to have Hughes opening, the only way for that is Watson or Katich to slip down the order - exactly what I don't want to happen. I guess we'll just have to stick with our team for now, spots will open up as form slumps/retirements happen.

Oh, and this Cameron White in Tests bull****? No thanks. The guy hasn't done too well in Tests, hit's a ton and a couple of 50's against some pretty average bowlers from Pakistan and the West Indies in ODI's and everyones wanting him in the Test team. For christ sake.
As opposed to a guy like Ferguson who has a worse and much less complete FC record but has scored some much less pressured runs in a couple of ODIs and is yet to make it back from a serious injury? 8-)