• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith to take North spot at No 6 for Aus test team

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I can definitely see Smith as our #6 in a few years time, but at the moment I'd rather see North or White, providing we need a part-time spin option (and with Hauritz, Clarke and Katich we probably don't really). Hell, we could do a lot worse than David Hussey too, the guy has a FC average of over 55!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely the logical solution is to move Watson to 6 and allow Boy Wonder to open with Katich.That means Smith has to wait till he proves he is good enough.We keep hearing how Boy Wonder is the dogs wotsits but he hasn't really proved it yet so surely it is time to give him a run in the side and find out once and for all.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Surely the logical solution is to move Watson to 6 and allow Boy Wonder to open with Katich.That means Smith has to wait till he proves he is good enough.We keep hearing how Boy Wonder is the dogs wotsits but he hasn't really proved it yet so surely it is time to give him a run in the side and find out once and for all.
I'm a big proponent of NOT moving Watson away from opening in tests. In 18 innings since returning to the test team during the Ashes, he;

-Averages 54.47
-Has scored 50+ nine times (50%)
-Only scored <30 five times

Not saying that he wouldn't have amazing results batting at 6, but geez...talk about if it aint broke don't fix it!

pasag

RTDAS
Let's not forget the reason that we want to get rid of North and what we need in a number 6 - someone who can stop a collapse, someone with an airtight technique that can come in in difficult conditions and rebuild an innings, not a bloke that can knock off an easy 100 when everyone else in the top order has filled their boots.

Bowling ability nice but not necessary.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Let's not forget the reason that we want to get rid of North and what we need in a number 6 - someone who can stop a collapse, someone with an airtight technique that can come in in difficult conditions and rebuild an innings, not a bloke that can knock off an easy 100 when everyone else in the top order has filled their boots.

YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Smith should make his debut on a turner where we could have the following side:
1 Watson 2 Katich 3 Ponting 4 Hussey 5 Clarke 6 White 7 Haddin 8 Smith 9 Johnson 10 Hauritz 11 Bollinger.

So basically I agree with Matt, White > Smith at the moment.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think what excites many about the bowling of Smith is how much he improved in the space of a season. At the start of the 09/10 season many of us (including myself) wrote him off, as he was horrendous. Struggled to land a threatening delivery, and would resort to a flat trajectory as soon as he was attacked. Over the space of the season many of us then recognized just how much he had improved. He is not the finished product yet but if has a similar season of learning then he could be great.

How many flat trackers has he bowled in this T20 world cup? Probably count them on one hand. Last year he would bowl 3 an over.

Keep him away from the Test team until he actually does deserve it.
I still have some doubts about Smith's bowling ability in the longer format after going to the Gabba and watching him bowl in this match Queensland v New South Wales at Brisbane, Dec 11-14, 2009 He had figures of 16-2-110-0 :blink: He was brilliant in the field that day, so some things never change.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
White to get into the side before Smith IMO. Also a worthy candidate for leader. He keeps playing crucial innings in pressure situations. We wouldn't have had a shot today, or many other days, without his batting.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I'm a big proponent of NOT moving Watson away from opening in tests. In 18 innings since returning to the test team during the Ashes, he;

-Averages 54.47
-Has scored 50+ nine times (50%)
-Only scored <30 five times

Not saying that he wouldn't have amazing results batting at 6, but geez...talk about if it aint broke don't fix it!
It's a shame he hasn't scored more 100s because he certainly deserves to have done. I was impressed with how he came in and rolled his sleeves up as a opener in the Ashes. He is a way better batsman than I had first thought.

Spark

Global Moderator
On the topic (sort of)... say we see Ponting, Katich and Hussey retire at the end of the year (which is a slight possibility).

Then I assume the team is

Hughes
Watson
Clarke
? - I honestly have no idea. Khawaja/Bailey?
North
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris/Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Y/N/Maybe?

I hope they don't all retire though. That's a big hole to fill... Of all those three, I would say that Ponting is the least likely to retire.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
As per my sig, would rather see White in the short term, but Smith has made a really good start to his career and long term, I think they could both be in the team. The "spin-bowling number 6" has become less important with Hauritz's improvement in anycase - with Watson already providing a fifth bowling option, and Katich and Clarke in the team anyhow, the number 6 slot should simply go to the best batsman.

Pretty much agree with this at the moment. White also slots straight it at first slip which is handy.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
On the topic (sort of)... say we see Ponting, Katich and Hussey retire at the end of the year (which is a slight possibility).

Hughes
Watson
Clarke
North
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris/Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Y/N/Maybe?

I hope they don't all retire though. That's a big hole to fill... Of all those three, I would say that Ponting is the least likely to retire.
Well I doubt any of them will retire until after the ashes. Ponting will be around for a while still I reckon

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I personally think the number 6 spot will be Smith's to keep in a few years, I think he has got the signs to be an absolute star.

TumTum

Banned
It's a shame he hasn't scored more 100s because he certainly deserves to have done. I was impressed with how he came in and rolled his sleeves up as a opener in the Ashes. He is a way better batsman than I had first thought.
And I don't think he'll be scoring Test 100s anytime soon. They guy usually gets out after scoring a 50 and needs to get dropped at least once to get past the 90s.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And I don't think he'll be scoring Test 100s anytime soon. They guy usually gets out after scoring a 50 and needs to get dropped at least once to get past the 90s.
A 90's hardly much worse than a 100, tbf. Especially considering that he bowls as well.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain

Hughes
Watson
Clarke
North
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris/Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Y/N/Maybe?

Hughes- Has he overcome his weakness against the short stuff?

Clarke- Looks a bit high at number 3 to me.

Number 4 - "?" says it all

....the good news being (for the rest of us) that the above team will not be dominating test cricket for years to come.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Hughes
Watson
Clarke
North
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Harris/Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Y/N/Maybe?

White is the name missing there.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Much as i'm a fan of Baileys (seeing his name mentioned above), there's no way we can seriously be considering for a middle order spot in tests anytime soon is there? He's only managed to average more than 40 a season on 3 occasions, and even then his highest was only 43.

Can't see Ponting retiring after this ashes, think he's got another few seasons in him yet, Katich & Hussey's places will be under more scrutiny though because of the likes of Hughes, White, Smith & Khwaja.