• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower as England Coach

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think he needs a bit more credit than he gets for the job he's done, the side's improved an absurd amount in all formats since he took over. So much more spirited than they were towards the end of Vaughan's reign.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Totally agree. We've recovered brilliantly after the shambles at the end of the Moores reign. Our improvements in Limited Overs cricket has been impressive. Picking the right players, and they seem to have much more freedom when out in the middle. They're expressing themselves and showcasing their talent. There've been some excellent selections since Flower took over too, moving Bell back to 6 in the Test side, finally dropping Prior in limited overs cricket, Eoin Morgan's discovery and the selections of Michael Yardy, Craig Kieswetter and Michael Lumb into the T20 side have worked brilliantly. Loving the job Andy Flower's doing, hope we continue to improve.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Won back The Ashes and got us to an ICC limited overs final. Pretty sure raising Lazarus was a piece of piss compared to that.

akilana

International 12th Man
Though not blessed with many talented players, England are working together well as a team. Credit to everyone involved in it.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

You need the infrastructure and supportive leadership as well as good players, though. When Flower played for SA, he averaged mid-20's in the midst of a wooden spoon season whilst averaging almost over 40 either side of that season for Essex. Even he couldn't overcome the tsunami of suck that was (is, tbh) South Australia. Neither could Rod Marsh, in fairness.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In my casual (very casual) observations, one thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be the obstinance in selection that there has been previously. "This is my man, and I'm going to stick with him through thick and thin", which was definitely apparent in the past few administrations. The onus is on the player to perform, and the amount of time given to show his wares seems to be the correct amount.

Sir Alex

Banned
I'd give equal share of credit to the selectors as well. Keysweater, Lumb, Luke, Bresnan, Morgan have all been fantastic selections.

He's been lucky also. But then they say you create your own luck.

I will reserve my judgement till the Ashes down under.

Uppercut

In my casual (very casual) observations, one thing I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be the obstinance in selection that there has been previously. "This is my man, and I'm going to stick with him through thick and thin", which was definitely apparent in the past few administrations. The onus is on the player to perform, and the amount of time given to show his wares seems to be the correct amount.
Yeah I think that's true. They went from a revolving door selection policy to the stage where you wondered whether certain players were giving favours but they seem to have found quite a good middle ground at the moment.

Although there have still been some absolute shockers. Onions being dumped out of the team for Harmison comes to mind.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Flower has also been good with the media. Nothing flashy or ott, but you also don't feel like you're being fobbed off with a load of crap like you used to.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Flower has also been good with the media. Nothing flashy or ott, but you also don't feel like you're being fobbed off with a load of crap like you used to.
Yes and he comes across as thoughtful and articulate.

It's embarrassing to think that not that long ago we had the likes of Ted Dexter and David Lloyd.

flibbertyjibber

He has done very well so far and his record is good in tests and improving in the shorter versions of the game.He has made England a very tight unit who are a tough nut to crack now and for that he needs to be given praise.The good thing aout him though is that he would shrug off the praise and say they have achieved nothing yet and won't have until they win a tournament or a major series away from home.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think that's true. They went from a revolving door selection policy to the stage where you wondered whether certain players were giving favours but they seem to have found quite a good middle ground at the moment.

Although there have still been some absolute shockers. Onions being dumped out of the team for Harmison comes to mind.
And Onions being ditched for the final test in SA too.

However, that's very much the exception rather than the rule. For the first time in ages, England are actually rather more than the sum of their parts. I still think it's a fairly fragile recovery given the players at his disposal, and he needs to keep getting pretty much everything right, but this is all hugely encouraging. Is it facile to suggest that he's moulding a side that mirrors his own attributes?