Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best batsman in the world is gambhir ?

U19 Debutant

The best batsman in the world is gambhir ?

How is possible for a player who cannot play the short pitch delivery to become the number ranked player in the world in test cricket ?
    Thats just amazing, test cricket inwhich a captain can set various fields for a few bouncers.

In my opinion is quite telling when a player who can't play short balls is still able to make so much runs consistently to the point where he is ranked number one in the world.

Might be because he knows how to leave short deliveries all alone (which too, is not a very common quality among batsmen, even at international level)...

Also I believe he can play shots against (other than super-fast head-aimed) bouncers when he's on song...

Of course, he can't play shots effectively against quality bouncers when he's out of form (in t20) and chasing a score of 180 in a t20 match (when he can't leave a delivery all alone unlike test matches)...but how many can do that in such situation? and those who can, how are they against other kinds of deliveries (like quality spin)?...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    He's not the best batsman in the world for my money, very good player though.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Might be because he knows how to leave short deliveries all alone (which too, is not a very common quality among batsmen, even at international level)...

Also I believe he can play shots against (other than super-fast head-aimed) bouncers when he's on song...

Of course, he can't play shots effectively against quality bouncers when he's out of form (in t20) and chasing a score of 180 in a t20 match (when he can't leave a delivery all alone unlike test matches)...but how many can do that in such situation? and those who can, how are they against other kinds of deliveries (like quality spin)?...
    To me it's a joke to cricket he is currently the best, good short balls can't be left alone a player like gambhir should face a nightmare everytime he goes out to bat with his obvious weakness.

I personally don't know where India is going to be in a few years, the bowlers aren't good and with Tendulkar, Dravid, Khan all gearing up to leave the replacements don't look too promising. All the new batsmen can't short balls, well blame the dead pitches in India that don't encourage short pitched deliveries which results in their best batsman being unable to play them well.

To me the best batsman in the world should not have such a fundamental weakness.

Simon Champion!
    Playing short pitched deliveries of fast bowlers on fast and bouncy wickets is not the only criteria to be no.1 in ranking. And that too in T20 chasing 180 when u can't leace the ball alone.
    In such a situation ordinary fast bowlers can look menacing too if they bowl a decent pelt.

In test match cricket where pitches are more varied ,u can leave the balls and choose which one to attack and which one to leave or defend it is a complete different scenario. Gambhir has been tested at the test level ,with short pitch stuff and has looked pretty comfortable against it ,and not only leaving balls alone. And that is why he has been so consistent over the period of time in test cricket.

U19 Debutant
    He did not only fail in 20/20, I saw him fail in ODIs against WI.
    From cricinfo

Ooh la la! the bouncer has done the trick. Again. That sinking Twenty20 feeling again. Well-directed pacy bouncer on the middle stump, from round the stumps, Gambhir took his eyes off the ball, yanked his head away from the line but tried to go through with the pull shot. Mistake. The ball took the top edge and lobbed to square leg. 25/1
    1.2 What a start by the Windies. India two down and wobbling away. It wasn't a great delivery but hey try telling that to Gambhir. It was short in length and well outside off stump, Gambhir, rooted to the crease, has a lame poke at it. Edge and gone! The crowd roar. Sabina Park has come alive. The ball was full and well outside off stump, Gambhir's foot don't go anywhere but his bat does. 6/2
    Last edited by Ilovecric; 13-05-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecric View Post
    To me it's a joke to cricket he is currently the best, good short balls can't be left alone a player like gambhir should face a nightmare everytime he goes out to bat with his obvious weakness.

I personally don't know where India is going to be in a few years, the bowlers aren't good and with Tendulkar, Dravid, Khan all gearing up to leave the replacements don't look too promising. All the new batsmen can't short balls, well blame the dead pitches in India that don't encourage short pitched deliveries which results in their best batsman being unable to play them well.

To me the best batsman in the world should not have such a fundamental weakness.
    Well the ICC ranking that you are talking about is a ranking on form, not on class...Even I don't think he's the best batsman on class, no way...So, we agree on that point...

But yes, I do believe that good short pitch delveries can be left alone (of course not by all) by batsmen who are good at it...And Gambhir is one of them...

And about India's future, don't worry mate. We'll remain a good side after Sachin, Dravid and Khan leaves...As far as bowling goes, India's bowling is not the best in the world currently; and it's gonna get better only (definitely spin bowling, and quite likely pace department too)...Batting also won't get affected much (of course, players like Sachin aren't born every year) as I'm sure some of the guys among Badri, Kohli, Raina (and definitely Gambhir) will mature with time...

Whether India will remain no. 1 test side, only time can tell. But I have no doubt in my mind that we'll remain a very good side and among the top sides in the world...

And finally, I believe the best batsman in the world might have a weakness. But he should know how not to get out again and again because of that weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Playing short pitched deliveries of fast bowlers on fast and bouncy wickets is not the only criteria to be no.1 in ranking. And that too in T20 chasing 180 when u can't leace the ball alone.
    In such a situation ordinary fast bowlers can look menacing too if they bowl a decent pelt.

In test match cricket where pitches are more varied ,u can leave the balls and choose which one to attack and which one to leave or defend it is a complete different scenario. Gambhir has been tested at the test level ,with short pitch stuff and has looked pretty comfortable against it ,and not only leaving balls alone. And that is why he has been so consistent over the period of time in test cricket.
    word

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecric View Post
    He did not only fail in 20/20, I saw him fail in ODIs against WI.
    From cricinfo
    Are we talking about test cricket in this thread? Or, have I come to the wrong thread?

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Are we talking about test cricket in this thread? Or, have I come to the wrong thread?
    I was just refuting the claim that it's a 20/20 problem. India has been playing in India alot so he may not be facing alot of short balls but if he is taking his eye off the ball thats a clear weakness.

Imagine him in the 80s, where would he hide from the short ball ?

I don't think of any other top ranked player with such a huge weakness, he needs to stop hiding in India and face pace in the wider cricketing world.

Gambhir during his golden run in tests, which propelled him to the no.1 ranking, was excellent at judging deliveries.. His effort in NZ (bouncy by Indian standards) to bat for almost 13 hrs to save the test was outstanding.
    His shortcoming against the short ball is nothing new. So many greats have the same weakness.
    Steve Waugh is known as the greatest of fighters though he couldnt pull or hook for life.

Test cricket gives you the liberty of playing to your strengths and avoiding your weakness. Then the true talent of the batsman comes out , since the bowlers are trying the exact opposite - target your weakness and avoid your strength.

In T20, leaving the short ball is not an option and hence I figure India,SL and Pakistan might never win a ICC T20 tournament again.
    My favourite X1
    Viru Sehwag, Matty Hayden,
    BC Lara, S Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Andrew Flintoff,
    Adam Gilchrist
    S Warne, C Ambrose
    D Steyn, G McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Has he ever got out to a bouncer in a test match? I can't remember him doing so, not while he's been on his recent hot streak anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Ghambir didn't play in Australia, SA or England. He played all of his tests in sub-continent except for three in NZ. It's a given that NZ don't posses a good attack that'd test a batsman's technique. Would be interesting to see him SA later this year. I think he's a decent batsman who was in great form.

Perfect example of someone seeing a batsman not be able to do something in ODI cricket, and assume he's thus poor in test cricket.

Gambhir can leave the short ball till his heart is content in test matches. He doesn't have to chase 8-9 rpo!

Sure, he hasn't played too many tests on tracks with a lot of bounce, and I'm sure he will be tested in the coming years with the short ball... but playing the short ball in T20 chasing a total is totally different to a test match.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah that's true. He's yet to be tested on fast, bouncy pitches at test level, but it's absurd to conclude that he can't play the short ball based on a few T20s in the West Indies. Just as it would be absurd to conclude that he can based on his excellent showing in the first World T20 in South Africa in 2007.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information