• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman in the world is gambhir ?

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
How is possible for a player who cannot play the short pitch delivery to become the number ranked player in the world in test cricket ?
Thats just amazing, test cricket inwhich a captain can set various fields for a few bouncers.

In my opinion is quite telling when a player who can't play short balls is still able to make so much runs consistently to the point where he is ranked number one in the world.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Might be because he knows how to leave short deliveries all alone (which too, is not a very common quality among batsmen, even at international level)...

Also I believe he can play shots against (other than super-fast head-aimed) bouncers when he's on song...

Of course, he can't play shots effectively against quality bouncers when he's out of form (in t20) and chasing a score of 180 in a t20 match (when he can't leave a delivery all alone unlike test matches)...but how many can do that in such situation? and those who can, how are they against other kinds of deliveries (like quality spin)?...

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Might be because he knows how to leave short deliveries all alone (which too, is not a very common quality among batsmen, even at international level)...

Also I believe he can play shots against (other than super-fast head-aimed) bouncers when he's on song...

Of course, he can't play shots effectively against quality bouncers when he's out of form (in t20) and chasing a score of 180 in a t20 match (when he can't leave a delivery all alone unlike test matches)...but how many can do that in such situation? and those who can, how are they against other kinds of deliveries (like quality spin)?...
To me it's a joke to cricket he is currently the best, good short balls can't be left alone a player like gambhir should face a nightmare everytime he goes out to bat with his obvious weakness.

I personally don't know where India is going to be in a few years, the bowlers aren't good and with Tendulkar, Dravid, Khan all gearing up to leave the replacements don't look too promising. All the new batsmen can't short balls, well blame the dead pitches in India that don't encourage short pitched deliveries which results in their best batsman being unable to play them well.

To me the best batsman in the world should not have such a fundamental weakness.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Playing short pitched deliveries of fast bowlers on fast and bouncy wickets is not the only criteria to be no.1 in ranking. And that too in T20 chasing 180 when u can't leace the ball alone.
In such a situation ordinary fast bowlers can look menacing too if they bowl a decent pelt.

In test match cricket where pitches are more varied ,u can leave the balls and choose which one to attack and which one to leave or defend it is a complete different scenario. Gambhir has been tested at the test level ,with short pitch stuff and has looked pretty comfortable against it ,and not only leaving balls alone. And that is why he has been so consistent over the period of time in test cricket.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
He did not only fail in 20/20, I saw him fail in ODIs against WI.
From cricinfo

Ooh la la! the bouncer has done the trick. Again. That sinking Twenty20 feeling again. Well-directed pacy bouncer on the middle stump, from round the stumps, Gambhir took his eyes off the ball, yanked his head away from the line but tried to go through with the pull shot. Mistake. The ball took the top edge and lobbed to square leg. 25/1
1.2 What a start by the Windies. India two down and wobbling away. It wasn't a great delivery but hey try telling that to Gambhir. It was short in length and well outside off stump, Gambhir, rooted to the crease, has a lame poke at it. Edge and gone! The crowd roar. Sabina Park has come alive. The ball was full and well outside off stump, Gambhir's foot don't go anywhere but his bat does. 6/2

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
To me it's a joke to cricket he is currently the best, good short balls can't be left alone a player like gambhir should face a nightmare everytime he goes out to bat with his obvious weakness.

I personally don't know where India is going to be in a few years, the bowlers aren't good and with Tendulkar, Dravid, Khan all gearing up to leave the replacements don't look too promising. All the new batsmen can't short balls, well blame the dead pitches in India that don't encourage short pitched deliveries which results in their best batsman being unable to play them well.

To me the best batsman in the world should not have such a fundamental weakness.
Well the ICC ranking that you are talking about is a ranking on form, not on class...Even I don't think he's the best batsman on class, no way...So, we agree on that point...

But yes, I do believe that good short pitch delveries can be left alone (of course not by all) by batsmen who are good at it...And Gambhir is one of them...

And about India's future, don't worry mate. We'll remain a good side after Sachin, Dravid and Khan leaves...As far as bowling goes, India's bowling is not the best in the world currently; and it's gonna get better only (definitely spin bowling, and quite likely pace department too)...Batting also won't get affected much (of course, players like Sachin aren't born every year) as I'm sure some of the guys among Badri, Kohli, Raina (and definitely Gambhir) will mature with time...

Whether India will remain no. 1 test side, only time can tell. But I have no doubt in my mind that we'll remain a very good side and among the top sides in the world...

And finally, I believe the best batsman in the world might have a weakness. But he should know how not to get out again and again because of that weakness...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Playing short pitched deliveries of fast bowlers on fast and bouncy wickets is not the only criteria to be no.1 in ranking. And that too in T20 chasing 180 when u can't leace the ball alone.
In such a situation ordinary fast bowlers can look menacing too if they bowl a decent pelt.

In test match cricket where pitches are more varied ,u can leave the balls and choose which one to attack and which one to leave or defend it is a complete different scenario. Gambhir has been tested at the test level ,with short pitch stuff and has looked pretty comfortable against it ,and not only leaving balls alone. And that is why he has been so consistent over the period of time in test cricket.
word

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
Are we talking about test cricket in this thread? Or, have I come to the wrong thread?
I was just refuting the claim that it's a 20/20 problem. India has been playing in India alot so he may not be facing alot of short balls but if he is taking his eye off the ball thats a clear weakness.

Imagine him in the 80s, where would he hide from the short ball ?

I don't think of any other top ranked player with such a huge weakness, he needs to stop hiding in India and face pace in the wider cricketing world.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gambhir during his golden run in tests, which propelled him to the no.1 ranking, was excellent at judging deliveries.. His effort in NZ (bouncy by Indian standards) to bat for almost 13 hrs to save the test was outstanding.
His shortcoming against the short ball is nothing new. So many greats have the same weakness.
Steve Waugh is known as the greatest of fighters though he couldnt pull or hook for life.

Test cricket gives you the liberty of playing to your strengths and avoiding your weakness. Then the true talent of the batsman comes out , since the bowlers are trying the exact opposite - target your weakness and avoid your strength.

In T20, leaving the short ball is not an option and hence I figure India,SL and Pakistan might never win a ICC T20 tournament again.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has he ever got out to a bouncer in a test match? I can't remember him doing so, not while he's been on his recent hot streak anyway.

akilana

International 12th Man
Ghambir didn't play in Australia, SA or England. He played all of his tests in sub-continent except for three in NZ. It's a given that NZ don't posses a good attack that'd test a batsman's technique. Would be interesting to see him SA later this year. I think he's a decent batsman who was in great form.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Perfect example of someone seeing a batsman not be able to do something in ODI cricket, and assume he's thus poor in test cricket.

Gambhir can leave the short ball till his heart is content in test matches. He doesn't have to chase 8-9 rpo!

Sure, he hasn't played too many tests on tracks with a lot of bounce, and I'm sure he will be tested in the coming years with the short ball... but playing the short ball in T20 chasing a total is totally different to a test match.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's true. He's yet to be tested on fast, bouncy pitches at test level, but it's absurd to conclude that he can't play the short ball based on a few T20s in the West Indies. Just as it would be absurd to conclude that he can based on his excellent showing in the first World T20 in South Africa in 2007.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
IMO, He deserves no1 spot, he has batted superbly in tests against good pace attacks. Thumbs up to his gutsy batting style.

Sir Alex

Banned
Perfect example of someone seeing a batsman not be able to do something in ODI cricket, and assume he's thus poor in test cricket.

Gambhir can leave the short ball till his heart is content in test matches. He doesn't have to chase 8-9 rpo!

Sure, he hasn't played too many tests on tracks with a lot of bounce, and I'm sure he will be tested in the coming years with the short ball... but playing the short ball in T20 chasing a total is totally different to a test match.
This.

He failed in t20s how can he be good test player?lol

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah that's true. He's yet to be tested on fast, bouncy pitches at test level, but it's absurd to conclude that he can't play the short ball based on a few T20s in the West Indies. Just as it would be absurd to conclude that he can based on his excellent showing in the first World T20 in South Africa in 2007.
Or his performance in the One days in Australia.

Pathetic troll is pathetic.

Sir Alex

Banned
Someone having a different opinion doesn't make it trolling, Sir Alex, so please don't throw the word around.
So it's okay to make comments like 'why is he hiding in the subcontinent and not coming out to face real bowlers'?

So sir, what qualifies as a troll then?