• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman in the world is gambhir ?

Howsie

International Captain
So it's okay to make comments like 'why is he hiding in the subcontinent and not coming out to face real bowlers'?

So sir, what qualifies as a troll then?
He's played what, 1/3 of his ODI's outside of the subcontinent and 1/5 of his test matches outside the subcontinent, fair question tbh.

Sir Alex

Banned
Don't think thats the point tbh. While he may not have a choice, the above still stands true
The emphasis is on choice of words.

You don't exactly encourage a good discussion with statements like 'why is he hiding, come out and face the real guys' which somehow gives the impression as if he's chickened out of playing such opposition in the past.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He's played what, 1/3 of his ODI's outside of the subcontinent and 1/5 of his test matches outside the subcontinent, fair question tbh.
I guess 1/4th of test matches and ODI's outside the subcontinent would be average for a Indian Batsmen.

So that record still is not so bad.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So it's okay to make comments like 'why is he hiding in the subcontinent and not coming out to face real bowlers'?

And if u see his posting record he has done nothing so far ,except come and bash the Indian team,it's players and Mohammad Asif.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think thats the point tbh. While he may not have a choice, the above still stands true
Agreed. Absolutely True.

There is something still to prove in that department .Nobody is disputing that.
But it does not mean that he was hiding deliberately from playing outside.

And besides though i do not want to turn this into a thread about them, Greg Chappell,Dennis Lillee and even Joel Garner played very Minimal cricket,if at all in the sub-continent .Does not stop them being considered great players though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, from what I've seen he isn't flash at playing short stuff - which is probably why he doesn't.

DingDong

State Captain
he's done well everywhere he's played so far so i dont think its fair to assume he'll fail when he plays on fast wickets.
anyway this discussion is pointless as ryder will probably be the top player in the world in 6 months now that he's back playing

ryder :wub:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Whoops, looking over the thread for the second time now, I thought that you were calling Uppercut a troll for his posts, which was clearly not the case. My bad, apologies for that. ilovecric's posts, while possibly not the best thought out, are backed up with some evidence, and other members have agreed with some of the things he is saying, so it's still best to avoid the trolling comments. If you've got an issue with a post, just report it and the mod team will take a look at it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The emphasis is on choice of words.

You don't exactly encourage a good discussion with statements like 'why is he hiding, come out and face the real guys' which somehow gives the impression as if he's chickened out of playing such opposition in the past.
I'm not sure if this response to what I said. I didn't say anything about him hiding. Nevertheless, what Howsie posted was a valid point, regardless of whether he has a choice, and will remain a question mark until he plays more overseas.

Agreed. Absolutely True.

There is something still to prove in that department .Nobody is disputing that.
But it does not mean that he was hiding deliberately from playing outside.

And besides though i do not want to turn this into a thread about them, Greg Chappell,Dennis Lillee and even Joel Garner played very Minimal cricket,if at all in the sub-continent .Does not stop them being considered great players though.
Agree with the bottom bit. In saying so, modern day cricket allows for far greater mobility in terms of playing overseas, and until a player proves himself in those places, questions will be raised.

In terms of the past, opportunities were far less frequent and as such, tarnishing the legacy of past players because they didn't play on the subcontinent is unduly harsh as it is criticising a player for something he could not help when there is nothing to suggest they would not have succeeded.

What I'm trying to say is that a player (most times) can simply only be judged on what he has accomplished thus far, or over their career, rather than what he hasn't had the opportunity to do.

I think I may have contradicted myself a bit here. But basically, the players of the past can only be judged on what they have done, not what they hadn't had the chance to try. While a player like gambhir will have questions raised considering the nature of int cricket now

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

lol.. way to miss the point. To say "he has not been tested outside the subcontinent much yet" (as Jono and UC did) is totally diff. to what the OP said...

Sir Alex

Banned
Whoops, looking over the thread for the second time now, I thought that you were calling Uppercut a troll for his posts, which was clearly not the case. My bad, apologies for that. ilovecric's posts, while possibly not the best thought out, are backed up with some evidence, and other members have agreed with some of the things he is saying, so it's still best to avoid the trolling comments. If you've got an issue with a post, just report it and the mod team will take a look at it.
Ok. Cheers.

Sir Alex

Banned
@Got spin

I was pointing out why I thought ilovecric was trolling, and not directed at you.

Agree with you, Gambir deserves a chance to fail at least, before jumping into silly conclusions like he can't be successful overseas. It's not as if every player who has succeeded in Australia, South Africa, or England have been greatest hookers or pullers. And the converse also holds good, all good hookers and pullers haven't went on to being number 1 batsmen either in tests.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty simple

Gambhir has scored a mountain of runs on slow pitches with minimal bounce and is basically untested on anything like a quick wicket against a fast bowler