• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in England

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arse, I forgot they were playing the Dutch here, only realised when I drove past the ground at about 1:30pm (right in the middle of that afternoon cloudburst)

Glasgow must have one of the worst records for rain-affected matches, everytime Scotland have an ODI at Titwood it's been almost a complete washout. Should have played the games after the Test series v England, weather was glorious then, or at least not scheduled it for a Fair Monday, always ****ing rains.

Stapel

International Regular
Believe Kerveezee (sp?) is Dutch by upbringing despite the SA birth.

Couple of suspiciously anglophone surnames in there tho.

Still, global game and what's sauce for the goose, etc.
Kervezee, just 4 e's in total :) . A common Dutch name.

Actually, only Cooper is an anglophone name. I'm pretty sure Raja and Bukhari are Dutch by upbringing, despite being born in Pakistan. Swarczynski has a Dutch upbringing too.

Barresi seems an Italian nam and Swarczynski is Polish. All other names are Dutch.

If we wanna nitpick on this subject, probably Cooper and Barresi qualify as guests :) . Probably they do have a Dutch connection.

Anyway, this is simply a good thing for Dutch cricket!

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Congrats to the Netherlands on the win, and now getting on the ICC Rankings table. Does this mean more games against other full members?

I'm not really in favour or the requirements needed: gaining the required victory against a Full Member while holding an overall win ratio of 60%. I don't think it's a problem having the likes of Scotland, Afghanistan on the table too.

It doesn't dampen the table IMO having teams with extremely low ranking points.

Steulen

International Regular
Arse, I forgot they were playing the Dutch here, only realised when I drove past the ground at about 1:30pm (right in the middle of that afternoon cloudburst)

Glasgow must have one of the worst records for rain-affected matches, everytime Scotland have an ODI at Titwood it's been almost a complete washout. Should have played the games after the Test series v England, weather was glorious then, or at least not scheduled it for a Fair Monday, always ****ing rains.
Damn you, Ginge. Had hoped to meet you there.

You would have recognized me by my orange shirt and overexcited flagwaving near the end.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Damn you, Ginge. Had hoped to meet you there.

You would have recognized me by my orange shirt and overexcited flagwaving near the end.
Day off, so an afternoon of baby shopping with the missus. Wasn't completely wasted, got 160 nappies sitting in the boot of my car.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Kervezee, just 4 e's in total :) . A common Dutch name.

Actually, only Cooper is an anglophone name. I'm pretty sure Raja and Bukhari are Dutch by upbringing, despite being born in Pakistan. Swarczynski has a Dutch upbringing too.

Barresi seems an Italian nam and Swarczynski is Polish. All other names are Dutch.

If we wanna nitpick on this subject, probably Cooper and Barresi qualify as guests :) . Probably they do have a Dutch connection.

Anyway, this is simply a good thing for Dutch cricket!
Fair dos. Was thinking Borren sounded an English surname too, but guess it sounds equally as Dutch. More so, when I repeat it in my head.

Amyway, given the common heritage I imagine there's quite a few Saffers with Dutch antecedents, so wouldn't blame your selectors taking advantage. Ours certainly not shy in doing so. :ph34r:

Stapel

International Regular
Fair dos. Was thinking Borren sounded an English surname too, but guess it sounds equally as Dutch. More so, when I repeat it in my head.

Amyway, given the common heritage I imagine there's quite a few Saffers with Dutch antecedents, so wouldn't blame your selectors taking advantage. Ours certainly not shy in doing so. :ph34r:
Borren is a fairly common Dutch surname.

About the Saffers:
Steyn, Langeveldt, Van der Merwe, Bosman & De Wet all are Dutch names. It must be said that most Afrikaners from German or French decent, first went to the Dutch Republic (many French protestant Huegenots for instance) and as such some French and German names have been Dutchified. De Klerk clearly comes LeClerc. A proper French example is Duminy, Boucher and probably Kallis. Langeveldt might actually be Dutchified from the German Langefeldt. Morkel is most likely a German name.

Anyway, the most Dutch name in Cricket is PIETERSEN. And I like the former Sri Lanka opener Van Dort as a fair second.

Sorry for drifting off topic.....

Stapel

International Regular
Ceylon used to be a Dutch colony didn't it?
Yeah, during most of the 2nd half of the 17th and 18th century. Just like in South Africa, the British took over during the Napoleon years.

The Fort (and clock) near the Galle stadium is Dutch iirc. In Colombo there is a borough called Bloemendahl.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, we're waiting until the baby comes to find out. More fun that way, but also frustrating in a way, cause the only clothes we can buy are boring neutral ones.