• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricketer's Cricketers.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes that was in the mid 90s I think.

Thats because till then..neither Lara nor Tendulkar had done anything significant against Wasim or Waqar while Crowe did score a lot of runs against them. Ofcourse thats because Tendulkar had just played one (or two?) series back in the 80s when he was 16.

Not just Wasim and Waqar, even Donald was once asked in the 90s who the best batsman was - Lara or Tendulkar and his answer was Steve Waugh. Its not hard to see why..Steve Waugh has a better record against Donald than Lara or Tendulkar.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yes that was in the mid 90s I think.

Thats because till then..neither Lara nor Tendulkar had done anything significant against Wasim or Waqar while Crowe did score a lot of runs against them. Ofcourse thats because Tendulkar had just played one (or two?) series back in the 80s when he was 16.

Not just Wasim and Waqar, even Donald was once asked in the 90s who the best batsman was - Lara or Tendulkar and his answer was Steve Waugh. Its not hard to see why..Steve Waugh has a better record against Donald than Lara or Tendulkar.
I'm not sure whether either of the Ws have changed their stance but Wasim said 'SRT is the best Batsman in the world' in '99, 'toughest batsman he ever bowled to' in this program with Richie Benaud and Ravi Shastri during the Ind/Aus series of 03/04 talking about his knock in the world cup and said it was one of their biggest regrets for both him and Waqar that they were not able to bowl to him at their peaks(early 90s) and it was a privilege of his to bowl in the SRT era.

Waqar said around '04 that Sachin is a genius and will end his Career 'way way up, in the all-time stakes' and has this to say about Lara and Tendulkar

"A few years ago I said Lara because when he is on song he is very difficult (to bowl to). He is probably more talented, more fluent but Sachin is in a different class altogether.

He is a very mature batsman. Probably Lara did not mature enough.

I should not be comparing them. They are both world class players,Sachin has matured very well'

Donald however has a clear stance, He wrote an article on Cricinfo about Sachin Tendulkar back in '01.

"There's Brian Lara, Steve Waugh and a notch above there's Sachin Tendulkar."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arthur Morris

Best Batsman:-Donald Bradman ( Doh')

Best Bowler:-Tiger O'Reilly.

I saw only two great players in my time: Bradman was the best batsman and O'Reilly was the best bowler.

The 'only' is interesting to say the least, shows how much the word 'great' is thrown around lately.
Heck of a call from Morris when one considers he played against Hammond (though he was a shadow tbf), Hutton, Compton, Bedser and Evans, as well as with Harvey, Miller and Lindwall, to name but a few.

Fair to say he had high standards then!

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure whether either of the Ws have changed their stance but Wasim said 'SRT is the best Batsman in the world' in '99, 'toughest batsman he ever bowled to' in this program with Richie Benaud and Ravi Shastri during the Ind/Aus series of 03/04 talking about his knock in the world cup and said it was one of their biggest regrets for both him and Waqar that they were not able to bowl to him at their peaks(early 90s) and it was a privilege of his to bowl in the SRT era.

Waqar said around '04 that Sachin is a genius and will end his Career 'way way up, in the all-time stakes' and has this to say about Lara and Tendulkar

"A few years ago I said Lara because when he is on song he is very difficult (to bowl to). He is probably more talented, more fluent but Sachin is in a different class altogether.

He is a very mature batsman. Probably Lara did not mature enough.

I should not be comparing them. They are both world class players,Sachin has matured very well'

Donald however has a clear stance, He wrote an article on Cricinfo about Sachin Tendulkar back in '01.

"There's Brian Lara, Steve Waugh and a notch above there's Sachin Tendulkar."
Yep as I said, those quotes by Donald, Waqar and Wasim were before they had their proper contests against Sachin and Lara..

And its not just Wasim's loss, it is the loss for any cricket fan that we werent able to see Wasim and Waqar at their peak vs Tendulkar at his peak in test cricket in the 90s.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Wilfred Rhodes

An interview quoted from Geoff Armstrong's book both Sean and Zaremba mentioned to have read in another thread

Neville Cardus narrates his chat with Wilfred Rhodes

I asked him what he thought of Ranjitsinhji. "He were a good bat were `Ranji.' But I always fancied myself getting him leg before doin' that leg glance of his." I tried again. What did you think of Trumper? "'E were a good bat were Victor." There was no advance on a good bat in Wilfred's vocabulary of praise. Once, though, he let himself go. I asked him his opinion of Sidney Barnes as a bowler. "The best of 'em today is half as good as Barnie."

Really delightful book it must be said, Saw it at the bookstore today,not even close to affording it though, read the Waqar and Barnes's columns at the bookstore silently. :p I'm broke and need the money to live on sub of the days. FML.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wilfred Rhodes

An interview quoted from Geoff Armstrong's book both Sean and Zaremba mentioned to have read in another thread

Neville Cardus narrates his chat with Wilfred Rhodes

I asked him what he thought of Ranjitsinhji. "He were a good bat were `Ranji.' But I always fancied myself getting him leg before doin' that leg glance of his." I tried again. What did you think of Trumper? "'E were a good bat were Victor." There was no advance on a good bat in Wilfred's vocabulary of praise. Once, though, he let himself go. I asked him his opinion of Sidney Barnes as a bowler. "The best of 'em today is half as good as Barnie."

Really delightful book it must be said, Saw it at the bookstore today,not even close to affording it though, read the Waqar and Barnes's columns at the bookstore silently. :p I'm broke and need the money to live on sub of the days. FML.
Don't tell me you're one of those losers who sits at the bookstore at Spencer's plaza and reads through cricket books with no intention of making a purchase.

Just like I did :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Don't tell me you're one of those losers who sits at the bookstore at Spencer's plaza and reads through cricket books with no intention of making a purchase.

Just like I did :ph34r:
Landmark in Hyd today, tbf. :p

Globalizing the trend, bringing pride to the clan. :)

Last edited: