Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After Sachin, the deluge??

Banned

After Sachin, the deluge??

Well sadly, that's the way our guys seem to be thinking atleast with Indian cricket.

Ok, I know people used to say samething when Sunny retired, but then India were really never a formidable test team then, really we had nothing much to lose.

But situation is much different. We have become number one test team, and while that's an incredible achievement, the batting part of it has been solely due to a bunch of 35 plus guys and one 31 year old at the top.

And we know these guys aren't going to be there forever. Actually with Sachin, and Dravid, this itself seems to be bonus years they've obliged to give to Indian cricket, and hence has admirably prevented exposing our soft batting underbelly in the process.

But I think it's just bought out time before the inevitable happens. We seem to be content with gimmicks like scheduling more test matches to prove our commitment to the longer version of the game. While they're indeed great, they are short sighted. What are we doing to ensure that there will be a bunch atleast to take the baton when the terrific trio go? Surely Sehwag will no longer be 'young' and if it's going to be guys like Yuvraj and Raina, then Indian test cricket is headed for dark ages.

I know names like Vijay and Sharma are thrown up. While I do agree Vijay is exciting, and probably would've matured enough to assume full time responsibilities in a year or two, the likes of Sharma aren't even in the reckoning of selectors.

Badri, for all the hype, has not been able to take his domestic form to International level, and he won't be exactly young either when the present trio hang up their boots.

Where is the next batting superstar? Where is our next 'core'?

Sehwag, Gambir and Vijay? With Yuvraj, Raina and Sharma? And a stopgap in Badri?

Might as well stop watching cricket tbh, rather than enduring these guys pawned abroad.

Massive over-reaction.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Touch early to write Badrinath off yet? You don't dominate First Class cricket for close to a decade only to be discarded after two below par Tests.

He is younger than when Michael Hussey made his debut, and Australia have gained 50 great Tests from him. Not suggesting Badrinath is the next Hussey, but he has had a similar career progression, and has the weight of runs behind him.

You would think that at least a couple of those guys will stand up when the extra responsibility is pushed on to them. No need for panic stations yet. India's bowling looks more of a concern than the batting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Massive over-reaction.
    Lol, overreaction to what? A loss in a t20 match? We anyways have been without the greats' services in that format for last 3 years. So no.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Touch early to write Badrinath off yet? You don't dominate First Class cricket for close to a decade only to be discarded after two below par Tests.

He is younger than when Michael Hussey made his debut, and Australia have gained 50 great Tests from him. Not suggesting Badrinath is the next Hussey, but he has had a similar career progression, and has the weight of runs behind him.
    Yes, but he is not going to be regular anytime soon, and by the time he becomes, his time might have passed already.

Besides How many Husseys have we really witnessed in last 30 years? He too was great for about 20 tests (when Aus were facing much inferior attacks on own soil) and once they started touring massively went out of form.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    You would think that at least a couple of those guys will stand up when the extra responsibility is pushed on to them. No need for panic stations yet. India's bowling looks more of a concern than the batting.
    We've never really been great in bowling department. Actually I think we perhaps have the most promising pace contingent in Ishant, Sreesanth and Mishy for spin. Bhajji is only entering his peak years, and Zak will be around too for some time. Not really worried about bowling. We surely can't do worse than we have been anyway.

If we were to look and say where high quality talent is coming and where it isn't, the batting looks pretty good. The pace bowling is far more of a worry. Plenty of talented batsmen scoring heavily in domestic cricket, some have even made the step up in international limted overs.

Anyway, it's guesswork. I never expected Sehwag to become what he is.

Dhoni is an incredibly talented and dedicated batsman and though he's not pretty to look at, is bloody effective.

Gambhir looks to be a stellar Test Batsman and has scored tons of runs since his debut, though he seems to have problems against the rising ball and quality pace.

Sehwag is well....Sehwag!

Sachin MIGHT stay around for 3-4 years and that would be a massive blessing to the Indian Team if he does.

We do have to find 2-3 new Batsmen as replacements for Laxman/Dravid/SRT but really, the situation isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Dhoni is an incredibly talented and dedicated batsman and though he's not pretty to look at, is bloody effective.

Gambhir looks to be a stellar Test Batsman and has scored tons of runs since his debut, though he seems to have problems against the rising ball and quality pace.

Sehwag is well....Sehwag!

Sachin MIGHT stay around for 3-4 years and that would be a massive blessing to the Indian Team if he does.

We do have to find 2-3 new Batsmen as replacements for Laxman/Dravid/SRT but really, the situation isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
    I didn't ray anything contrary to the above, but missed out Dhoni who will still average around 40.

1. So you're basically suggesting a 34-35 year old Sehwag and Gambir will be the answer to our problems?

2. We've been talking about replacing the trio since 05, but still nobody really has stepped up except Gambir. Do you expect 3-4 players to emerge in the next 2-3 years to fill their gap?

3. The fact that we still can't find anyone other than Yuvraj to fill in for Ganguly is an indicator of the state of our reserves isn't it?

IMO, When the Older batsmen retire, Dhoni can convert himself into a stable middle order batsmen rather than a late-order hitter or a Saviour when the wickets are down.

Banned
    Interesting. But I still don't think he has the game to average above 45 at any point in his career. At no.6 or 7 that is perfectly acceptable also.

I hope I am proven wrong though. He definitely has the willingness to do the grind, but sometimes goes into a shell. That can paralyse the scoring rates as well.

Let's judge our young batsman when they've barely had a chance to play test cricket. Awesome.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let's judge our young batsman when they've barely had a chance to play test cricket. Awesome.
    That sounds like a great idea! I think we'll be fine. We have only just become the number one test team in the world and Sachin's been playing for the last 20 years! It takes more than just Sachin Tendulkar to be the number one side in the world.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    That sounds like a great idea! I think we'll be fine. We have only just become the number one test team in the world and Sachin's been playing for the last 20 years! It takes more than just Sachin Tendulkar to be the number one side in the world.
    Ha ha way to miss the point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information