• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 is taking my interest from cricket away

Howsie

International Captain
8-) What about the Ban-NZ series? Was it reduced to 1 test series also due to IPL?

Fact is test cricket isn't getting as many spectators in NZ. Please don't blame that on IPL.
So you don't find it a tad suspicious that the top New Zealand players (Vettori, McCullum, Taylor etc) refused to sign there national contracts on time and then when they did it was announced only a week later that the Australian test series was going to be shortened

Hmmmm.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This sentence makes no sense.

You don't mind that players are being paid well.

But you mind that players are being dragged away from international cricket because what they are paid in the IPL.

Surely the solution is for international cricketers to earn more right? But there are only around 15-20 consistent international cricketers in a country.

It's ****ty odds to actually earn a living from the sport.
No I meant I don't mind that players are paid reasonably well, just not the absurd amounts in the IPL. State Contracts are pretty good as well tbh.

Sir Alex

Banned
So you don't find it a tad suspicious that the top New Zealand players (Vettori, McCullum, Taylor etc) refused to sign there national contracts on time and then when they did it was announced only a week later that the Australian test series was going to be shortened

Hmmmm.
Haha I wonder why then Australian players had no problems touring NZ then. Considering they were having the fatter contracts of the two.

IPL won't allow any players if the home Board register their protests. So there was no way NZ players could've played in IPL without signing the NZ contracts.

Further could you please link to the issue?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
8-) What about the Ban-NZ series? Was it reduced to 1 test series also due to IPL?

Fact is test cricket isn't getting as many spectators in NZ. Please don't blame that on IPL.
What the **** was the rolleyes for? Am I not allowed to offer my two cents to the debate without getting approval from you?

archie mac

International Coach
Money, money, money

You can't blame the players, they are there for only a short time. I would love them to all want to play Test cricket over 20/20 (I am sure they would prefer it as well), but fair play, earn what you can:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What the **** was the rolleyes for? Am I not allowed to offer my two cents to the debate without getting approval from you?
I agree.

Sir Alex I think you use that smilie unnecessary and turn posters off your side very quickly.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Was Brad Hodge part of the Australian test setup?

No, but he retired from First class cricket because he wanted to spend more time with his wife who happened to be battleing some kind of sickness ( might even be cancer ) at the time and still might be at this present time, not to mention the fact he is like 36 years old. Still plays One day cricket and 2020 cricket for Victoria though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was Brad Hodge part of the Australian test setup?

Flintoff's retiral from test cricket was obvious due to his injuries. He anyway didn't participate in this IPL.

You seem to miss the point. Their respective Boards had no issue in letting them go and play in the IPL, Hodge is unlikely to play in next year's IPL, so is Flintoff. It seems you are looking for things which aren't there imho.
I don't know enough about the legal systems elsewhere in the world, but if the ECB attempted to prevent Flintoff (or anyone else) from playing in the IPL, legally they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would be interesting to see a central contract - I don't see any reason why they couldn't impose a bar on IPL participation, though I doubt many would sign one if such a bar was absolute - would be interested to know what an employment lawyer thought

Sir Alex

Banned
:huh: Am I not then?

I don't know enough about the legal systems elsewhere in the world, but if the ECB attempted to prevent Flintoff (or anyone else) from playing in the IPL, legally they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
The last word of course would be IPL's, and I highly doubt they'll be willing to jeopardise relations with ECB over just one player.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The ECB would have no right whatsoever to tell a player not contracted to them that he can't play in the IPL.