• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner

Do you think he is good enought to be playing international cricket?

• Total voters

Sylvester

State Captain
My only issue with Warner is that he hasn't really made a big score (100 plus even) against a top attack in First Class Cricket yet.

I'm excited for him and wish him the best though.
Problem is Queensland is the only team with a top class attack atm. Victoria and WA would have one at full strength but neither have been at full strength for over a month. His 200 was against a Test attack though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He could've, if he had some idea how much Southee was going to be swinging the ball at that stage - could criticise him if he'd faced a few balls from him and that happened, but to get that first up was nasty. Just kept on following him. Bloody well bowled.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Problem is Queensland is the only team with a top class attack atm. Victoria and WA would have one at full strength but neither have been at full strength for over a month. His 200 was against a Test attack though.
I'm pretty sure Warner's 200 was against a 2nd XI Zimbabwe attack. Not a test quality attack, that's for sure.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I went through his First Class matches and it was noticeable that the attacks that were weaker were the attacks he performed well against. I would consider Tasmania's attack from last year a good attack for instance.

I also question the fact that Warner's technique is superior to Khawaja's. I just don't see it to be a conclusive thing at all.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure Warner's 200 was against a 2nd XI Zimbabwe attack. Not a test quality attack, that's for sure.
it was against Zimbabwe A, but I think it was probably closer to Zimbabwe. They were gearing up for their first tests of course, so it wasn't like our A team. PEWS no doubt can clear it up

adub

International Captain
it was against Zimbabwe A, but I think it was probably closer to Zimbabwe. They were gearing up for their first tests of course, so it wasn't like our A team. PEWS no doubt can clear it up
The Zim A attack when he scored his 200 was Vitori, Jarvis, Mpofu, Price, Chigumbura
The Zim test attack against Bangladesh: Vitori, Jarvis, Mpofu, Price, Chigumbura
The Zim test attack against Pakistan: Vitori, Jarvis, Mpofu, Price, Lamb
The Zim test attack against NZ: Jarvis, Ncube, Mpofu, Price, Masakadza

So pretty much the full strength Zimbabwe test attack

Athlai

Not Terrible
That Zim A attack was their strongest attack.

Vitori, Jarvis and Price are all Test quality. Not brilliant but they're decent enough.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was their full strength attack. Or what they thought their full strength attack was at the time, anyway.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jarvis and Vitori were yet to play a Test match. At the time this attack was not a good attack as far as I'm concerned, especially considering it was an A game, where they were likely to be testing out a few things, like Hilfenhaus admitted he was for Australia A.

I'm not trying to say that Warner is rubbish or anything, it's just he's so inexperienced as a batsman in long form Cricket, he hasn't had many chances to score big against attacks that he's likely to face predominantly in Test Cricket.

A very poor shot on debut, it kind of reminded me of Hughes on debut, lets hope Warner's next 3 innings follow Hughes now.

Flem274*

123/5
I think you're being extremely harsh tbh. It was short of a length and followed him, making a beeline for his gloves. If you're on debut, you do not want a ball like that first up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
A poor shot? Please...it was a short ball that didn't get up enough, he tried to drop the gloves below it but it never got up high enough to do so. If it had've sat up, he would've gone under it and you'd say he played it reasonably well.

Knee-jerks, out in force again.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes, after reading what I wrote, I used the wrong word definitely. I should have said a 'very frustrating dismissal' on debut.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know he could've done a lot about it. One of those ones you get before you reach 10, sometimes.

The real test will be when he gets beyond 10-15-20 and how he builds an innings/goes on with the job. For a player geared towards short and sweet, that will be the real marker of whether he is meant to be in five-dayers.

uvelocity

International Coach
I don't know he could've done a lot about it. One of those ones you get before you reach 10, sometimes.

The real test will be when he gets beyond 10-15-20 and how he builds an innings/goes on with the job. For a player geared towards short and sweet, that will be the real marker of whether he is meant to be in five-dayers.
Good post.

Personally, I think he is meant to be. Will be dropped when injuries come back, but hope he scores a few for confidence. Can see him entrenched by the season after next at the latest. Seems like a thinker, and a gun fielder too. Long termer I reckon.

Bobisback

International Regular
I think he will be dropped after this test. Cant see him needing to score enough runs to justify picking him in the next test. He probably wont be picked again for 2 years, even though they will persist with Lyon even after the Indians tear him a new one.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
For some reason, many Australian fans have been obsessed with Phil Hughes, while a much better batsman in David Warner constantly presents a case before us.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think he will be dropped after this test. Cant see him needing to score enough runs to justify picking him in the next test. He probably wont be picked again for 2 years, even though they will persist with Lyon even after the Indians tear him a new one.
If the criteria for picking a spinner was "must not get smashed by India" then teams would constantly be rotating their spinners.