• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who will be new zealands test seamers ?

Flem274*

123/5
bowlers who can't reach 130k aren't going to be any good at test level no matter how good their domestic form is.
Shayne O'Connor, Daryl Tuffey pre-injury. Thats just NZers.

For decent parts of their careers, McGrath, Clark, Pollock and Vaas were around 130.

In any case, Bates is about 135.

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
From an almost permanent fixture in the Auckland A side to a Test player, that would be a meteoric rise for McKay.

Don't forget he's played crap all FC games, even fewer than Bennett who is 7 years his junior and is often injured. And on top of that was even out-bowled by Doowayne Bowden from the same number of matches last season.

Taking a punt would do no harm, but if he can't remove James Marshall from the crease, quality batsmen will be keen to tuck in.

As for Bates, we don't want an attack entirely composed of trundlers. Arnel was threatening against Oz so he should keep that spot.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to be too hopeful about our (test) bowling attack for the coming season. The most optimistic thought I can come up with is that Arnel, McKay and especially Southee end the next season without injury and as slightly improved bowlers compared to now, and that a handful of half-decent domestic bowlers get through the season uninjured.

Some relatively accurate trundlers (by which I mean 3/4 of those available) should be adequate at home against Pakistan, but I shudder to think about how they'll go against India in India.

Edit: More hopeful on the batting front, but McCullum giving up the gloves in tests is a spanner in the works.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Nah they like to have Scott and Aldridge trundle in at 125. 130 is too fast. :p
Considering we have three bowlers in our A team that have all clocked upwards of 145K I'd say an average bowler like Michael Bates would struggle to break into that team on the basis of the potential of those three bowlers. If Trent Boult, Anurag Verma or Andrew Mathieson played anywhere else in the country they'ed probably already be leading the attacks of the other provinces.

Flem274*

123/5
Considering we have three bowlers in our A team that have all clocked upwards of 145K I'd say an average bowler like Michael Bates would struggle to break into that team on the basis of the potential of those three bowlers. If Trent Boult, Anurag Verma or Andrew Mathieson played anywhere else in the country they'ed probably already be leading the attacks of the other provinces.
Oh yeah, uh huh.

If they're sooooo awesome, why aren't they ahead of Scott, Aldridge and Yovich?

Boult should be in the ND senior team but...hang on...did you just call him 145k?

Dude, I doubt it.

Last time I saw Verma, he was medium pace. Proper medium pace. Yes he was seventeen, but that hasn't stopped Milne and Small from being 140ks at the same age. I doubt he went from just hitting 130 to 145ks.

Mathieson I've never seen play, but last year you were saying he hits the bat hard in the high 130s. He's the only one I could accept being 145k.

The last two wouldn't be leading any attack in the country. They can't even lead their own ahead of some decent, but unremarkable, medium fasts.

What's the difference between Michael Mason and Bradley Scott? Aside from Mason being faster I mean. :p

Michael Bates took a truckload of wickets last year, ND would love to have him.

Howsie

International Captain
Oh yeah, uh huh.

If they're sooooo awesome, why aren't they ahead of Scott, Aldridge and Yovich?

Boult should be in the ND senior team but...hang on...did you just call him 145k?

Dude, I doubt it.

Last time I saw Verma, he was medium pace. Proper medium pace. Yes he was seventeen, but that hasn't stopped Milne and Small from being 140ks at the same age. I doubt he went from just hitting 130 to 145ks.

Mathieson I've never seen play, but last year you were saying he hits the bat hard in the high 130s. He's the only one I could accept being 145k.

The last two wouldn't be leading any attack in the country. They can't even lead their own ahead of some decent, but unremarkable, medium fasts.

What's the difference between Michael Mason and Bradley Scott? Aside from Mason being faster I mean. :p

Michael Bates took a truckload of wickets last year, ND would love to have him.
Waikato Valley features at ND Awards

This years winner is Anurag Verma. Anurag continued to make progress in his cricket this season, representing ND in the A team. Anurag is a right arm pace bowler, but his batting also makes him a prospect as an all rounder. Some of you may have seen Anurag bowling at the tea break at the Australia Test, where he was recorded on the speedball radar at a consistent speed of 145km. Anurag is currently studying for an engineering degree at Auckland University
Yeah so umm....

Howsie

International Captain
And calling Brent Arnel and Graeme Aldridge "decent" medium fast bowlers and getting your knickers in a twist when I call Michael Bates the exact same thing is a little hypercritical don't ya think?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Always hard to tell due to different conditions etc. Top 2 quite a way out in front then the other three quite similar I'd say.

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm...

In order of pace:

Mathieson
Davis
Bates
Verma
Boult
Jimmys back! Well done on the season mate. :)

Thats interesting. Some say Davis still has real pace, but you say Matheison is faster? How quick are we talking here? Thats pretty good.

Flem274*

123/5
You're correct there then. I withdraw my Verma speed comment.

And calling Brent Arnel and Graeme Aldridge "decent" medium fast bowlers and getting your knickers in a twist when I call Michael Bates the exact same thing is a little hypercritical don't ya think?
Where did I mention Arnel? Arnel is better than Aldridge and co.

Michael Bates is a decent fast medium bowler yes, though he's probably better than Scott or Aldridge.

My issue is with your overration of young ND players. You still haven't answered my previous post.

Howsie

International Captain
Where did I mention Arnel? Arnel is better than Aldridge and co.

Michael Bates is a decent fast medium bowler yes, though he's probably better than Scott or Aldridge.

My issue is with your overration of young ND players. You still haven't answered my previous post.
Naturally thought you would have lumped Arnel in with that comment.

Regarding my "supposably" overration of young ND players, I really don't see it tbh. Players like Verma and Boult have that something about them, an extra level some people would say about their play. Michael Bates on the other hand is just your run of the mill Ewen Thompson like bowler playing domestic cricket in this country that isn't likely to succeed at the next level.

Howsie

International Captain
Jimmys back! Well done on the season mate. :)

Thats interesting. Some say Davis still has real pace, but you say Matheison is faster? How quick are we talking here? Thats pretty good.
That link I posted up about Verma's pace, Matheison also bowled during that break and was clocking up the same speeds as he was. Simon Doull brought up both of them just after the tea break irrc.

Flem274*

123/5
Naturally thought you would have lumped Arnel in with that comment.

Regarding my "supposably" overration of young ND players, I really don't see it tbh. Players like Verma and Boult have that something about them, an extra level some people would say about their play. Michael Bates on the other hand is just your run of the mill Ewen Thompson like bowler playing domestic cricket in this country that isn't likely to succeed at the next level.
Bates *cries to talk about an Aucklander this way* is more likely to be a success than Thompson. Mid 130s, left arm, movement, nice yorker. He's got t00lz.

Trent Boult, I agree, will be a great asset if he ever gets off the injury bench.

If Matheison and Verma are special, then they should be getting game time. Quality 145ks isn't often seen in this country (outside the injury list) so why are they not ahead of the current troops?

It doesn't add up. Going off what we've got, I guess Bradburn thinks Matheison and Verma need more games in the A team. How old are these guys now? Verma would be about 20 right?

Andrew Milne and Bevan Small for the India tour etc etc :p

Howsie

International Captain
Bates *cries to talk about an Aucklander this way* is more likely to be a success than Thompson. Mid 130s, left arm, movement, nice yorker. He's got t00lz.
Yeah agreed, Thompson was just the first bowler that came to mind tbh. But, I just really don't like what I've seen of him tbh. Like I said from what I've seen of him live he'd struggle to be that much faster then 130K, and he's hardly a demon new ball bolwer (like say Tim Southee). He's only 26 so he might improve but at this stage I'd much rather have the likes of Boult and co in my ranks.

If Matheison and Verma are special, then they should be getting game time. Quality 145ks isn't often seen in this country (outside the injury list) so why are they not ahead of the current troops?

It doesn't add up. Going off what we've got, I guess Bradburn thinks Matheison and Verma need more games in the A team. How old are these guys now? Verma would be about 20 right?

Andrew Milne and Bevan Small for the India tour etc etc :p
Matheison was injured for a good part of last season, so that basically explains him. Not to sure about Verma though, however he was in the squad for one of the early season FC games last year. I'm guessing Bradburn just wanted to stay loyal towards the older guys (Bradley Scott mostly) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone come next season either.

Matheison is 20 and Verma is 19 ftr.