Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Changes to the Laws

I don't like the change on mid-air boundary saves at all. Seeing a save or a catch from a fieldsman dealing with the boundary is one of the exciting things in cricket. Also, it will be an absolute nightmare trying to determine if a ball has crossed the boundary or not.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    I don't like the change on mid-air boundary saves at all. Seeing a save or a catch from a fieldsman dealing with the boundary is one of the exciting things in cricket. Also, it will be an absolute nightmare trying to determine if a ball has crossed the boundary or not.
    That's not what the law's doing though, have an actual read of the proposed change. All it now says is that if a fielder is going to parry the ball back inside the ropes, he has to jump from inside the field, rather than being able to step a few metres outside the boundary and then jumping back into play. The catches that we've been seeing won't be affected at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Does this mean that this catch would no longer be allowed?

Considering that the last step that he took before catching the ball was from outside the arena?

Personally, that's how I believe it should be policed, a la basketball. Makes it nice and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Does this mean that this catch would no longer be allowed?

Considering that the last step that he took before catching the ball was from outside the arena?

Personally, that's how I believe it should be policed, a la basketball. Makes it nice and simple.
    Hmmm not sure. He only stepped outside of the field of play at the end, and the only time he touched the ball after doing so, the ball was well and truly back inside the ropes. Would be iffy. Personally I'd say something like that should be out, since the contact made with the ball after stepping outside the boundary was done back inside the field.

I think the change is being suggested more to prevent some like this from being allowed, which it definitely shouldn't be IMO. To be honest, I'd thought that this was the way the law was from the beginning.
    Last edited by andyc; 06-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I don't like that the law-makers are looking at preventing that sort of fielding because it's awesome and I hate the idea of penalising what obvious takes a lot of skill. I know you could make a case for it to be 'technically' 6 but back in the days before boundary ropes, players could lean back on the fence to take the catch easy as you like and I'm pretty sure leaping off the fence to take the catch was okay too. Leaning over it in taking the catch wasn't penalised either (although was a bit controversial). As long as the player stops the ball from going over and doesn't ground himself whilst touching the ball or ground the ball over the line, a-okay by me. If that means there'll be blokes patrolling 5 metres over the line looking to leap in the air as the ball is going over the rope to take the catch/stop a 6 mid-stretch or bunt it to another fielder, I'd be prepared to accept that.

****ing batsman's world.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-05-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Would make it far too hard to judge on boundary catches similar to those being legislated by the second new change, surely.
    Could make it only for non-catches though.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Cant open you tube so not sure of which catches Jack and Andy were talking about but I specifically remember an Angelo Matthews catch when he went outside the boundary, leaped up and then got the ball back into the field of play, which I felt was ridiculous.

And felt the same during the old days when Aussie grounds did not have a boundary and Agarkar leaned back on a wall and caught someone.. Felt it was ridiculous.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    But being AA any sense of being ridiculous is removed by his sheer awesomeness.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Whether you agree or not with that Angelo Mathews fielding to prevent it being a 6... how ****ing amazing was it!
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Cant open you tube so not sure of which catches Jack and Andy were talking about but I specifically remember an Angelo Matthews catch when he went outside the boundary, leaped up and then got the ball back into the field of play, which I felt was ridiculous.

And felt the same during the old days when Aussie grounds did not have a boundary and Agarkar leaned back on a wall and caught someone.. Felt it was ridiculous.
    Yeah, that's the one that andy linked to. The principle is the same though, where the last contact with the ground was over the line.

By the law that I'd like to see implemented, Hussey was best off leaving it and ensuring that the ball did not go for six.

Yeah, that's the one that andy linked to. The principle is the same though, where the last contact with the ground was over the line.

By the law that I'd like to see implemented, Hussey was best off leaving it and ensuring that the ball did not go for six.
    So then in Hussey's case, would it have been six runs for the batting team?

Yeah, because his last contact with the ground when he touched the ball was from outside of the boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Whether you agree or not with that Angelo Mathews fielding to prevent it being a 6... how ****ing amazing was it!
    It was awesome athleticism.. But tbh, it went against the spirit of the game for me.. Basically, you are asking boundary riders to hang back and go outside the rope even if the ball clears the rope by say 10 yards, leap up, put it back into play and even run in and catch it sometimes... As I said, it goes against a pretty big aspect of the game, which is clearing the ropes. Once you do that, it has to be six and once the fielder steps outside the rope, and then clears the ball back into play, that should be six automatically.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Surely batsmen have it enough their way by having ropes instead of hitting it over the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    Surely batsmen have it enough their way by having ropes instead of hitting it over the fence.
    depends, really. I don't mind some standardization that all international matches should have boundaries of 75 yards... But beyond that, I don't mind it at all..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information