• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asian matchup of Superstars

Who were the greater trio of cricketers ?

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In my generation, India produced some very fine batsman, while Pakistan produced some superb fast bowlers.

Am curious as to whom you think were the greatest trio of cricketers as a whole :

Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid

OR

Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis

Teja.

Global Moderator
In my generation, India produced some very fine batsman, while Pakistan produced some superb fast bowlers.

Am curious as to whom you think were the greatest trio of cricketers as a whole :

Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid

OR

Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis
Though the three Indian Legends you mentioned are perhaps more individually statistically significant, Kapil Dev contributed more to his Team winning and saving games than any of the above.(with due respect to all three players.)

Thirdman1

Banned
Though the three Indian Legends you mentioned are perhaps more individually statistically significant, Kapil Dev contributed more to his Team winning and saving games than any of the above.(with due respect to all three players.)
And Anil Kumble.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hard to get past Sachin,Dravid and Gavaskar in tests.
Imran,Wasim and Waqar are able contenders but to me the batsmen just pip the bowlers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As cricketers it has to be the Pakistan trio. Imran was a genuine all-rounder & Wasim a bowling all-rounder. As useful as Sachin's little allsorts and Dravid's occasional keeping are, I reckon you'd take the Pakistan package first.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have seen very few sights on a cricket field as exhilarating as, in his prime, Waqar bowling at full tilt - Tendulkar, Dravid and Gavaskar batting just don't compare

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Imran, Wasim, Waqar easily, and thats not a reflection on the Indians, i'd pretty much always take the 3 match winning bowlers, probably would only reconsider if the batters included the Don

Thirdman1

Banned
i dont know about talent, but pakistanis were surely better looking
Hmm Dravid, Sachin and Gavaskar are not better looking. :laugh:8-)

And Indians are also more intelligent and that reflects in the results of various science olympiads.

Anyway both Sachin and Gavaskar have made almost to every World XI team.

Last edited:

Thirdman1

Banned
Benaud's World XI
1 Jack Hobbs, 2 Sunil Gavaskar, 3 Don Bradman, 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 Viv Richards, 6 Imran Khan, 7 Garfield Sobers, 8 Adam Gilchrist, 9 Shane Warne, 10 Sydney Barnes, 11 Dennis Lillee.

ESPN Best test team
ESPN Legends of Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bradman's world XI
Barry Richards - South Africa
Arthur Morris - Australia
Don Bradman - Australia
Sachin Tendulkar - India
Gary Sobers - West Indies
Don Tallon - Australia
Ray Lindwall - Australia
Dennis Lillee - Australia
Alec Bedser - England
Bill O'Reilly - Australia
Clarrie Grimmett - Australia
12th man:
Wally Hammond - England

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Bradman was perhaps a better cricketer than me but that's easily the worst World XI I've ever seen from a respected commentator, and I think I'm not alone in this . And as it happens he didn't select Sunny.

But yes you're right, some people (and almost all Indian fans) would put Gavaskar and Tendulkar in their all-time world XIs. I'm not sure I would.

Last edited:

Thirdman1

Banned
Don Bradman was perhaps a better cricketer than me but that's easily the worst World XI I've ever seen from a respected commentator, and I think I'm not alone in this . (Not because Sunny or Sachin were included, as it happens).

But yes you're right, some people (and almost all Indian fans) would put Gavaskar and Tendulkar in their all-time world XIs. I'm not sure I would.
Then Benaud and ESPN team was also Indian :laugh:

Himannv

International Coach
Awesome batsmen and awesome bowlers. Will go for the Pakistanis for this one mainly because I'll pick the bowlers over the batsmen in an even matchup. I might have a different answer if you offered up Viv, Lara and Sobers though.

Thirdman1

Banned
CMJ top 100 cricketers

Top 10. Sachin
14. Imran
26. Gavaskar
34. Akram
36. Waqar
74. Dravid

Last edited: