• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quickest 5 Bowlers from each country..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There's little doubt Srinath was quick enough at top pace to hurry most guys up but I reckon the seam movement there makes him look a yard or two quicker than he was.

Someone's measurement on the speegun doesn't mean a lot to me, tbh. As spectators, we can tell when someone is bowling quick on TV but when at the pointy end, 140 - 160Km/h pretty much looks the same; quick calculation suggests that the difference in terms of reaction time is around 60ms, far too small a difference for the brain to process a difference between the two. Hitting the seam is what gets top batters out and makes one bowler 'feel' quicker than another, not raw speed.
AWTA... And you can figure out what beats batsmen too.. Some people "look" pretty much medium pace but suddenly the ball sorta hurries on to you.. And some people look quicker than they actually are. Dominic Cork comes to mind.. So being deceptive either way helps, I feel.

Andre

International Regular
Only including guys who played for their country? If not, could probably add Duncan Spencer, Troy Corbett and Shane George (in order of pace) to the OZ list. All three were significantly quicker than anyone else at the time they played and, in the case of Spencer or Corbett, would probably give Lee/Tait a decent race. Heard much about Dennis Hickey being lightning too but never saw him at his best.

Shane George did play an Aus A game so he probably counts (just) in any case.
Yeah I remember these guys, shame Corbett was so struck with injuries, he was one who could have been anything. Left arm and rapid. Always relate him with the Victoria wearing shorts in the Mercantile Mutual Cup though, which is a shame, what a debacle that was!

Brad Williams was also rapid when he came into first class cricket a few years later as well. Mark Harrity, Phil Alley and Wayne Holdsworth were all supposedly genuinely fast on their day also.

But yeah, only Williams out of them played international cricket, and he wasn't an out-and-out quick once he made the Aussie side.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AWTA... And you can figure out what beats batsmen too.. Some people "look" pretty much medium pace but suddenly the ball sorta hurries on to you.. And some people look quicker than they actually are. Dominic Cork comes to mind.. So being deceptive either way helps, I feel.
Praveen Kumar comes to mind too. Forgot about Cork, good pick. Was a tall bugger too though wasn't he?

Yeah I remember these guys, shame Corbett was so struck with injuries, he was one who could have been anything. Left arm and rapid. Always relate him with the Victoria wearing shorts in the Mercantile Mutual Cup though, which is a shame, what a debacle that was!
Haha, oh yeah those shorts were so 90's beachwear. Good on the Vic's for going so hard at the concept, though.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yes really.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

He had a better bowling strike rate than Akram and better average than Younis and that is remarkable considering he did not chicken out of series against Australia faking injury. And only time Srinath, Akram and Younis played against each other Srinath outperformed every other fast bowler
Based on strike rate only. Avg wise and Econ. wise Akram and Waqar were better..

Thirdman1

Banned
Based on strike rate only. Avg wise and Econ. wise Akram and Waqar were better..
Strike rate is very important in test cricket. .And compare their record against OZ and SA ,two team that plays fast bowling very well. And since when ECO. has started to matter in test cricket

Srinath played more test against OZ and SA than Wasim and Waqar combined and took more wickets at a better average and strike rate than both combined

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
Brett Schultz seemed real quick although I only ever saw him on TV. Allan Donald, Steyn would also have to be up there of course for SA.

Remember watching Troy Corbett play for Vic - funnily enough don't remember him being especially fast though. Could be wrong.

I remember an Australian batsman mentioning at one point that Devon Malcolm was the quickest bowler they faced. I think it was Slater.