• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off-spin and Leg-spin are named wrong

GraemeSmith

School Boy/Girl Captain
It really annoys me what the different kind of spin bowling are called. It does not make any sense that offspin is called offspin and leg spin is called legspin. From a logical point of view what we call offspin should be called legspin since the ball is moving from off to leg and legspin should be called offspin since the ball is moving from leg to off. The current nomenclature of spin bowling is completely upside down and does not make any sense. It would be like if we started calling inswing as outswing and outswing as inswing, the ball comes into the the batsman hence it's called inswing that's logical, therefore incase of spin bowling if the ball move towards the legside it should be called legspin not offspin (and vice-verse)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
So you want the name changed?

Never bugged me, always made sense to me that the off-spinner spun the ball from off to leg and the leg-spinner from leg to off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never given it a thought myself, just what I've grown up with. After all off-cutters and leg-cutters are similarly dubbed.

Although, I suppose things could've gone down the "swing" route (i.e. in-swing and away-swing) too. In-spin and away-spin just sound weird tho.

Himannv

International Coach
Agree with the OP. The logic of it was always a bit strange to me but I just got used to the way it was called and stick to it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It spins from the leg and from the off, hence the names. Have never really thought it's an issue. I can see the point re: the direction the ball moves in comparison to swing bowling though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Interesting opening post.

I actually get more annoyed with how we label left-arm spin bowlers.

What the hell is "slow left arm" for left arm off spinners? Why aren't they just off spin? And why call left arm leg spin "chinaman" or "wrist spin" (as channel 9 used to label Michael Bevan's bowling).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Right arm / Left arm - finger / wrist spin would be better descriptive
Yeah, either call it all off spin or leg spin, or call it finger spin or wrist spin. Anything else just makes an already complicated game more complicated to new viewers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, either call it all off spin or leg spin, or call it finger spin or wrist spin. Anything else just makes an already complicated game more complicated to new viewers.
Nah, part of the sport's charm, IMHO. See also googlies/Bosies/wrong 'uns.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What the hell is "slow left arm" when Jayasuriya bowls faster than Ramesh Powar's "off spin".

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What the hell is "slow left arm" for left arm off spinners? Why aren't they just off spin? And why call left arm leg spin "chinaman" or "wrist spin" (as channel 9 used to label Michael Bevan's bowling).
Because, by the logic of the description of right arm spinners, the SLA doesn't spin the ball from the off so isn't an off-spinner, and the chinaman bowler doesn't spin it from the leg so isn't a leg-spinner. So there is a certain logic to it.

Anyhow, it's all part of the game's rich tapestry. All sports have weird and wonderful terminology. Think about rugby positions. Blind side flanker? Tight head prop? Number 6? Wing three quarters? Fly half? Number 10? These things may seem impenetrable to a newcomer to the game, but you get the hang of it eventually.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But a leg spinner doesn't stop being a "leg spinner" when he bowls to a left hander, even though he's not spinning it from off to leg.

I've never minded weird terminology (wtf is fine leg?). I like that about our sport. But don't confuse viewers by faking differences between right and left handed bowlers. It accomplishes nothing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But a leg spinner doesn't stop being a "leg spinner" when he bowls to a left hander, even though he's not spinning it from off to leg.

I've never minded weird terminology (wtf is fine leg?). I like that about our sport. But don't confuse viewers by faking differences between right and left handed bowlers. It accomplishes nothing.
We just pretend cack-handers don't exist. It's win/win. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wanted to ban them and do any of us have the brass front to say we know better than the great man? No. QED. :ph34r:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

Fine leg seems one of the most obvious ones, he's just fine on the leg side. Third man, cover, gully are all a little stranger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tbh I was just giving a Family Guy reference :p

It's when the British guy takes over the Clam.