• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction draft II - ODI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist as an opener? After watching far too many match winning destructive knocks of his, I think as a pure batsman he certainly has a shot at getting an all time slot.

Anyway, moving on to more important things, when is the next draft?
Only from batting perspective, I'll back someone like Lara over Gilchrist to partner Tendulkar. Lara was an amazing ODI opener (in fact he was better than Tendulkar during the period he was opening in ODIs), though he had to sacrifice that spot to support the weak West Indian middle order he was part of (and did not do as good a job there). I'm sure there will be many here who will prefer someone other than Gilchrist to partner Sachin (not necessarily Lara). I don't think majority will use Gilchrist there (if they don't use him as an wicketkeeper). Of course, some might do.

I have a very clear idea about the next auction draft, and I believe it might be an interesting one. But I don't think I have the time to execute that. I'll be happy if someone else wishes to execute it, though that might be expecting too much, lol. Also, I have never participated in a test draft thus far (has been part of two ODI drafts), hence my willingness to take part in one.

Himannv

International Coach
Go for a Sheep draft if you can mate, never got to participate in one. Sounds like hard work though. I'm in anyway.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What exactly do you have in mind?
The primary difference from marc's auction draft would be something called nominator's bid, which nominator will disclose at the time of nominating a player. Don't have time now, will explain in details tomorrow...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Here's what I planned:

There are 12 rounds..

Each round I nominate a country from where you can nominate + bid on a player... Nominations, if in the same ball park on the same player (say something like 15 M you start off with and if two posters both nominate Sachin for the India round, one @ 1.5 M approx and the other at 1.7 M approx), both DO not get him and need to have another go, a la the sheep draft. If unsuccesful after 3 attempts, one of the other guys in the draft get to nominate you a sheep and for the lowest price you had quoted during your 3 unsuccessful bids..

For the nations, I was planning to go with the 7 main nations and for the 8th, let it be a combo of Sri Lanka + Zim + Bang.. And for the next 4, a combo of two each of the first 8 rounds..

Need to work out on exactly how much we can consider the ball park figure etc etc.. Ideas guys?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, I'm not sure the amount makes that much difference - it's just a number at the end of the day.

Would it be secret bidding or on-forum?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
secret, obv.. Only that way the sheep part could work out... That is why I want like a ball park amount.. Like say I bid 1 M and anyone else who bids within 0.5M of that can be considered as in same ball park and hence, need to go again..

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This sounds interesting...
1. Nominator's bid will be disclosed at the time of listing the nominated players of a round (of course, 'who nominated whom' would not be disclosed)...

2. Then every bidder can bid for any no. of the nominated players other than the player nominated by himself (because that's something he has already submitted).

3. It's not necessary to bid for all the players. Bid for the players you want, and don't bid for the players you don't. But no bid less than the nominator's bid will be accepted.

4. Players will be allotted to bidders according to marc's procedure, but the remaining players will not be absorbed for the highest bid received in that round, rather they'll be absorbed for the highest bid received for that player (including the nominator's bid).

5. If more than 1 bidder remains empty-handed after the normal allocation of players, the players will be allocated in the order of remaining cash balance with the bidders, i.e. the bidder with the higher cash balance in his kitty gets the player with higher maximum bid received.

6. To make the time span of the thread shorter, there can only be 5 rounds each with 3 players per bidder (so, every drafter makes team of 5*3=15 in the end). This rule also takes care of what seemed to me to be a weak point of marc's game that 'you can't get more than 1 player in a round'.

7. I really wanted to host this one if I had time. If a helpful member of CW does the same for me he's more than welcome. But, I'll be very happy if he doesn't change these rules (and does it for test matches, of course).

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That does sound good. Would it make sense if you want to run it that maybe you let honestbharani run his first so that you then have a bit more time?