• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction draft II - ODI

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mohinder Amarnath - A excellent ODI player .One of the main reasons for India's 1993 world cup win.

Pretty happy with that.

Himannv

International Coach
Good to get Shakib but I have a feeling I overpaid for him far too much. Oh well, good player anyway.

Some absolutely awful choices this round. What have you people been doing?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Some people are overspending a lot.
Can't beleive some of the prices in this round.

In these times of recession ,Fiscal prudence is very important.:)

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Good to get Shakib but I have a feeling I overpaid for him far too much. Oh well, good player anyway.

Some absolutely awful choices this round. What have you people been doing?
Some Big duds certainly in this round.

pskov

International 12th Man
Didn't like the value I'd guess I'd have to pay on many of the players in that last round so went fairly low. Thought I may have had a shot at ABdV, but obviously someone rates him very highly indeed. Getting Kanhai for a modest amount is a good pick imho - obviously never had much ODI experience but his domestic List A record is very good and I don't think anyone would doubt a player of his class and and style being a very good middle order ODI player if given the chance. Also could be used as a keeper if I don't get one of a decent quality in the rest of the auction.

BC Lara
RB Kanhai
JM Kemp
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq

pskov

International 12th Man
Mohinder Amarnath - A excellent ODI player .One of the main reasons for India's 1993 world cup win.

Pretty happy with that.
I thought that initially, but when you look at his ODI record it is actually pretty mediocre, even taking into account the period in which he played. 30.53 average at a SR of only 57.70.

And when was this 1993 World Cup? :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I thought that initially, but when you look at his ODI record it is actually pretty mediocre, even taking into account the period in which he played. 30.53 average at a SR of only 57.70.

And when was this 1993 World Cup? :p
Stats sometimes don't tell the full story.

Yes he blew hot and cold ,but always played the crucial knocks for his team and contribute when needed with the ball pretty well.
Compared to other Indian players of his generation his record is pretty good,and he was one of the best players of fast bowling in the world. His teammates also rate him very highly.

He may not be among the top ODI players but was a very useful contributor.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
1. Graeme Smith (149 ODI, 5613 Runs @ 40.67)
2. Stephen Fleming (280 ODI, 8037 Runs @ 32.40)
7. Lance Klusener (171 ODI, 3576 Runs @ 41.10, 192 Wickets @ 29.95)
8. Imran Khan (175 ODI, 3709 Runs @ 33.41, 182 Wickets @ 26.61)
9. Ian Harvey (73 ODI, 715 Runs @ 17.87, 85 Wickets @ 30.31)

Depth. Also giving my team plenty of options further on in the draft. I could get away with moving my trio of all-rounders a space higher on the list.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thrilled to have gotten AB.. Solves the keeper quandary as well, if nothing else.. :)

And if I get another keeper, I will still end up with one of the best fielders of all time in this ODI side.. Ponting and AB at point and cover.. Now go and beat that.. :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't think I'd get Warne and so thats another expensive round for me - running things a bit fine with my budget. I actually nominated Rohan Kanhai who would've been a useful player to accompany Sobers, even if neither featured prominently in ODI cricket.

Himannv

International Coach
My expenses are going quite badly as well. I overspent on two of my players a tad more than their value I reckon.

So far, my nominations have all been fairly good ones.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Anil Kumble was a very good bowler in ODIs. He served Indian ODI team for many many years and was one among the world's best spinners before he made way for Harbhajan in the ODI team. Kumble has always been much better than Harbhajan as an aggressive bowler, and he could be as effective as Harbhajan as a defensive bowler if he wished to. Still, he made way for Harbhajan mainly for 3 reasons:

1. Selectors wanted Kumble to focus more on test cricket, and with increasing age, playing both test and ODI was not getting easier for him.
2. Harbhajan was a better ODI batsman.
3. Though Kumble was the better bowler of the two, Harbhajan wasn't bad either; especially as a defensive bowler in the middle overs.

However, with years passed by, Harbhajan has matured himself well as an aggressive bowling option in ODIs too.

So, good to get Kumble as the spinner in the team whom I personally consider a good candidate for being the 4th best ODI spinner ever (after Murali, Saqlain and Warne, of course).

My team so far:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Gary Kirsten
Mark Boucher
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble

By the way, Kumble is the first (and probably last) Indian in my team and first (and probably not last :) ) cricketer drafted by me who was also nominated by me.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Team so far:

-
-
Ricky Ponting (c) - 12895 runs @ 43.12 @ SR 80.1 - 148 Catches
AB De Villiers (wk) - 3603 runs @ 44 @ 89 SR - 63 Catches (Protea keepers don get many stumpings ;) )
-
-
-
Paul Strang - 1090 runs - 22 batting avg - 66 batting SR - 30 catches - 96 wkts - 33 bwlg avg - 4.36 ER
Richard Hadlee - 1751 runs @ 22 @ SR of 76 - 158 wkts @ 21 w/ ER of 3.3 - 27 catches
Jason Gillespie - 289 runs @ 13 @ SR of 79 - 152 wkts @ 25 w/ ER of 4.2 - 10 catches
-

So far, the only guy I nominated and picked up has been Punter. :)

pskov

International 12th Man
Only player I've picked up that I nominated so far was Kemp, and I only bid $4 for him.

Which is rather annoying as I've been generally nominating good players so far. Unlike the last auction where I was one of the guys deliberately nominating duds for laughs (though Marc wouldn't let me nominate Ian Austin :laugh:)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Apologies for the delay, took me longer to get back from Old Trafford than I expected!

Everyone in again, good stuff.

The following have been drafted:

I Botham - Pothas
B McCullum - Noble One
H Modi - Blakus
K Pietersen - Cevno
R Price - honestbharani
A Roberts - Himannv
V Sehwag - G.I.Joe
P Utseya - weldone
M Vaughan - Somerset
B Willis - Pskov

For the record, I had to add K Pietersen, R Price and P Utseya for that round.

The winning bids were (from lowest to highest) - $2, $2, $101,891, $700,002, $1,040,000, $1,200,011, $1,422,000, $1,450,001, $1,566,363, $2,150,000.

Round 7 is open with the following players available:

J Garner
D Lillee
P Mbangwa
G McGrath
A Parore
J Sharma
R Shastri
D Vettori
M Waugh
S Waugh

Deadline of 10pm Thursday please.