• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Innovations for One Dayers?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
State Institute Challenge to showcase innovative one-day match formats
Cricket Australia - August 20, 2003

The annual State Institute Challenge will trial a series of innovative one-day match formats when the tournament begins in far-north Queensland on Saturday (23 August).

The series, which features state and territory institute or academy teams, will also include a national Indigenous XI for the first time this year as part of Cricket Australia's High Performance Indigenous cricket program.

Staged in Mackay, Townsville and Cairns over eight days (23-30 August), the tournament will showcase various limited-overs match formats and experimental one-day playing conditions.

The move to play the series in far-north Queensland follows the successful staging of last year's State Institute Challenge in Darwin, and reaffirms Cricket Australia's broader commitment to take the game to new areas after the recent Australia-Bangladesh series in the Top End.

Match formats for the 2003 State Institute Challenge include 20-over matches with 11 players on each side and games featuring two 25-over innings, 40-over matches and 50-over matches.

New innovations include a "free hit" for batsman on the next ball they face if a bowler is no-balled for over-stepping, while bowlers will gain an additional over to their maximum allocation for every two wickets they take.

A new fielding rule will also be trialled whereby the ball is immediately declared "dead" if it hits the stumps during a run-out attempt.

At least one of the 50-over matches will also experiment with bowlers starting the match with a new ball at each end.

Former Test fast bowler Paul Reiffel, a member of Cricket Australia's project umpire panel, will again officiate in several of the matches after participating in the 2002 series in Darwin.

The eight state and territory teams competing in the State Institute Challenge are:

Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Cade Brown (c), David Jeffrey (c), Scott Cameron, Stephen Frost, Dylan Goodsell, Christian Hanna, Stewart Heaney, Josh Kentwell, Sean Maxwell, Cameron McLeod, Peter Radford, Martin Rice and Michael Shaw.

Indigenous XI
Matthew Bradley (c), Troy Collard, Timothy Dann, Barry Firebrace, Sean Gower, Bernie Lamont, Rus Nasir, Daniel Payne, Martin Rush, Jacob Sarra, Dominic Treacy, Damien Watts and Barry Weare.

New South Wales Institute of Sport (NSWIS)
Shawn Bradstreet (c), Aaron Bird, Ed Cowan, Daniel Christian, Brendan Drew, Moises Henriques, Rhett Lockyear, Cameron Nupier, Aaron O'Brien, Ben Rohrer, Daniel Smith, Simon Williams and Liam Zammit.

Northern Territory Institute of Sport (NTIS)
Ian Redpath (c), Ashley Williams (vc), Nick Berry, Martin Brown, Shane Chatto, Paul Cook, Anthony Dent, Ryan Green, Mark Hatton, Tim Knox, Adrian McAdam, Michael Richardson and Ken Skewes.

Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS)
Aaron Nye (c), Steven Farrell, Chris Hartley, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Leloux, Steven Magoffin, Aaron Maynard, Craig Philipson, Peter Reimers, Nathan Rimmington, Chris Simpson and Grant Sullivan.

South Australia (SA)
Nathan Adcock (c), Callum Ferguson (vc), Cullen Bailey, Ben Cameron, Chris Duval, James Harford, Trent Kelly, Michael Miller, Jason Morgan, Jim Plant, Tom Plant, Mohammed Sheikh and Oliver Thomas.

Tasmania Institute of Sport (TIS)
Shane Watson (c), Dane Anderson, Travis Birt, Brent Burgess, Luke Butterworth, David Dawson, Xavier Doherty, Adam Griffith, Ben Hilfenhaus, Gordon Kerr, Scott Kremerskothen, Tim Paine and Matthew Wade.

Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS)
Cameron White (c), Aiden Blizzard, Adam Crosthwaite, Tom Evans, Matthew Gale, Matthew Harrison, Brett Harrop, Matthew Innes, Shane Jones, Josh Mangan, Aaron Mato, Clinton McKay and Peter Siddle.

The draw for the 2003 State Institute Challenge is:

Saturday 23 August
QAS v NTIS Fretwell Park, Cairns
NSWIS v SA Gatton St2, Cairns
VIS v TIS Harrup Park 1, Mackay
Indigenous XI v ACT Harrup Park 7, Mackay

Sunday 24 August
QAS v SA Gatton St2, Cairns
NSWIS v NTIS Fretwell Park, Cairns
VIS v ACT Harrup Park 7, Mackay
Indigenous XI v TIS Harrup Park 1, Mackay

Monday 25 August
QAS v NSWIS Fretwell Park, Cairns
SA v NTIS Gatton St2, Cairns
VIS v Indigenous XI Harrup Park 1, Mackay
TIS v ACT Harrup Park 7, Mackay

Wednesday 27 August (am)
QAS v Indigenous XI Endeavour 1, Townsville
NSWIS v ACT Brothers, Townsville
SA v TUS Wanderers, Townsville
NTIS v VIS Endeavour 1, Townsville

Wednesday 27 August (pm)
QAS v ACT Wanderers, Townsville
NSWIS v Indigenous XI Endeavour 2, Townsville
SA v VIS Brothers, Townsville
NTIS v TIS Endeavour 1, Townsville

Friday 29 August
QAS v TIS Brothers, Townsville
NSWIS v VIS Endeavour 1, Townsville
SA v Indigenous XI Endeavour 2, Townsville
NTIS v ACT Wanderers, Townsville

Saturday 30 August
QAS v VIS Wanderers, Townsville
NSWIS v TIS Endeavour 1, Townsville
SA v ACT Brothers, Townsville
NTIS v Indigenous XI Endeavour 1, Townsville

The umpires for the 2003 State Institute Challenge are:

Norm McNamara, Bruce Oxenford, Peter Parker, Shane Reed, Paul Reiffel, Craig Skau, Tony Soulsby, Jim Torpey and Rod Tucker.

some interesting Idea's in there, people think they are any good?

i like the Idea of free hits, they are used in england aren't they? what are they like?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
i like the Idea of free hits, they are used in england aren't they? what are they like?
IIRC they add a little but not a great deal.

Billy Bowden would like them though!

Trick is getting the fielders to remember it's a free hit, after incidents where he catches it, throws it high in the air and the batsmen run an extra one.

Cloete

International Captain
alot of interesting rules. also wat else is interesting is that Mohammed Sheikh is playing for South Australia!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Another interesting note is that Paul Reiffel is umpiring.
I hope he does well.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the side the ACT have picked. A couple of 19 year olds in there, Michael Shaw and Martin Rice have played for the Comets before and have shown a lot of potential. Dylan Goodsell is an interesting includsion for me though. He was in the winter squad last year as an 18 year old, but didnt get picked in the final squad. I will be interested to find out how he goes.

Im not sure why Captain/Coach Shaun Williams isnt playing. I saw him on the news last night saying its a great opportunity for some younger guys, but i still think he should be playing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strange, that.

The only genuine innovation is the ball being declared 'dead' after the stumps have been hit.

All the others are 'old hat'.

Funnily enough, even the 'dead ball' one is a counter-productive measure in my mind.

I would like to see the equivalent of the 'double-play' in baseball - where the ball isn't even dead after a catch (so you could run the other batsman out at the same time).