• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag and Pietersen vs Mcgrath

Thirdman1

Banned
I see certain aussie poster who considers Hayden to be the greatest opener ever :laugh:saying that Pietersen played Mcgrath better than anyone else.

This is a pure lie.

IN TEST MATCH

Pietersen faced 270 balls of Mcgrath and scored 135 runs SR -50
Sehwag faced 150 balls of Mcgrath and scored 104 runs SR -70

Also Sehwag did not face Mcgrath on the flat wickets of Adelaide, oval . :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
My opinion for what its worth,

Neither Batsmen dominated Mcgrath by any extension of the word 'domination', It is incredibly hard to dominate bowlers like Mcgrath, and it is often wiser keeping the team's interest in mind to 'play out' Mcgrath without any flamboyant shots unless a bad ball is offered, and take risks against the less accurate bowlers.

However, both Batsmen have done admiringly well compared to their peers when McGrath is playing in the team, this does not necessarily mean going after Mcgrath but rather scoring well when Mcgrath is playing. Though it must be told, KP is comfortably ahead in his performances against Mcgrath though this does not have any reflection on who the better Batsman is.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Why should that matter. It's not like Sehwag sets the world on fire away from the subcontinent

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Why should that matter. It's not like Sehwag sets the world on fire away from the subcontinent
inb4 sh storm.
But but but he scored a 150 vs Aus at Adelaide(no McGrath) and Chennai(McGrath and Warne)...will be the supporters reply.
Fact is not even Lara and srt completely dominated the modern day Spofforth.
They had their moments,but so did Glenn.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag and Pietersen the better batsmen, McGrath the better bowler.

Tough to split them though, really it is.

Sehwag is the best batsman of the three.Splitting Mcgrath and Pietersen as batsmen is tough but I'd Mcgrath because he is better than Pietersen on pitches that aren't roads.Mcgrath also doesn't have brain failures when he is batting that make him play daft shots :ph34r: As bowlers Mcgrath is miles ahead although Sehwag is the best spinner of the three.

Debris

International 12th Man
Why is strikerate being used to argue that one test batsman is better than another? I can see the argument in 20/20s and ODIs but not in tests.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
FTR, how many centuries do each of them have with McGrath in the attack?

And in how many innings?
Off the top of my head, Pietersen faced McGrath in 8 Tests (16 innings), and has 2 tons, 158 at the Oval and Adelaide, and at least 4 50s (twin 50s at Lord's, 92 at the Gabba and a 70-odd* at Melbourne I think).

FBU

International Debutant
Tests
McGrath v

45.0 overs 135 runs 5 wickets at 27.00 econ 3.00 s/r 54.0 - Pietersen
22.3 overs 91 runs 4 wickets at 22.75 econ 4.04 s/r 33.75 - Sehwag

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sehwag's the best.

I neither know nor care, but I'm pretty sure that's the answer you're looking for.