• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will K.P ever be an all-time great?

Thirdman1

Banned
How come McGrath was taken off after 3 overs and only brought back after Sehwag was dismissed, yet he bowled 21 balls to Sehwag?

20 off 21 balls is far from domination.
I leave it to you to define domination. But Sehwag has dominated Mcgrath better than KP. Don't go by the player vs player average. PIETERSEN scored most of his runs against OZ on other bowlers not Mcgrath.

Xuhaib

International Coach
got to agree somewhat with him that whenever Sehwag faced McGrath which is not awful lot I reckon he handled the pigeon quite comfortably.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
got to agree somewhat with him that whenever Sehwag faced McGrath which is not awful lot I reckon he handled the pigeon quite comfortably.
I have edited the first line out of your post, regardless of what you think of his opinion, it's uncalled for.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And the final bit of info - Sehwag against McGrath in Tests:

10 (27)
0 (1) - LBW McGrath
26 (39)
12 (6)
1 (4) - ct. Gilchrist b. McGrath
35 (45)
7 (8) - b. McGrath
0 (5) - LBW McGrath

And in the stupid "Super Test" - 13 (15)

So a total of 104 runs from 150 balls being dismissed 4 times - pure domination.

By contrast Pietersen against McGrath in Tests:

22 (22)
6 (14)
0 (1) - LBW McGrath
19 (37) - b. McGrath
8 (26) - LBW McGrath
15 (26)
28 (32)
16 (32)
5 (25)
2 (12)
1 (3)
6 (18) - ct. Hussey b. McGrath
3 (26) - ct. Gilchrist b. McGrath

So a total of 131 runs from 274 balls being dismissed 5 times.

Looks to me that (as with most batsman around) neither dominated McGrath whatsoever.

Thirdman1

Banned
Yes 12 runs in 6 ball faced is also not domination

2nd Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Oct 14-18, 2004 | Cricket Player v player | Cricinfo.com

Scoring 35 of his 59 runs against Mcgrath is also not domination

3rd Test: India v Australia at Nagpur, Oct 26-29, 2004 | Cricket Player v player | Cricinfo.com

Sehwag played Mcgrath better than KP. The only time Sehwag faced Mcgrath in OZ, he was the highest scorer of his team
Only Test: Australia v ICC World XI at Sydney, Oct 14-17, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

He should not be blamed for Mcgrath being injured in 2004 series to OZ.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
There is no question about the fact that KP is a special player...will he be a great? Tough to answer. What is great anyways? Winning more games for his country? Scoring tons after tons and piling up runs?

In my view KP is great in his own league and will be missed once retired. Until then enjoy the show.

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
in a word - No. He is more a 'Rohit Sharma' type of player with his special moments and not-so-special moments..too fickle to be considered a great.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no question about the fact that KP is a special player...will he be a great? Tough to answer. What is great anyways? Winning more games for his country? Scoring tons after tons and piling up runs?

In my view KP is great in his own league and will be missed once retired. Until then enjoy the show.
This is a quality outlook.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
The problem with KP is that his lower points are just too low. A world class player will have highs that are unbelievably good but still be able maintain some kind of consistency in the lows. KP passes the first test comfortably but not the second. He either dominates wholly or plays very badly indeed. The problem also being that when he dominates he is still prone to playing a stupid shot. See the Hauritz wicket at Cardiff as an example. KP should have knocked 150 that day and got himself out on 60.

Social's attempt to re-write history make me laugh though. Warne took 40 wickets at 19 in 05, and Mcgrath, in the matches he played, was awesome. Just have a look on Youtube at some of the shots KP played off Warne, smashing him to all 4 corners and treating him like a part-time pie chucker at time..... and remember at this time there were people saying Warne was the greatest ever.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
KP is the light at the end of the tunnel when you're sitting through another dour Strauss-Cook partnership. For that he'll always be a great in my books.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Warne took 40 wickets in 2005 and McGrath won player of the World Cup just fewer months after the World Cup. Remember Lords 2005 when Pietersen came in at 5-21 in the middle of one of McGrath's best ever bowling spells and ended up smashing him around on debut?

McGrath & Warne could've gone on for another few years if they really wanted, but didn't because it would've tarnished their legacy. Age didn't deteroriate either bowler - that's what made them so great. If McGrath and Warne had've gone on post 2007 then they would've been considered "past their best"; they retired at the perfect time. Clark was also a class above in the 06/07 Ashes, FTR.

Pietersen did what no other batsman could do and that's succeed frequently against both McGrath and Warne. Many may have dominated Warne at a stage or two, but no other batsman did so against both McGrath and Warne.

Heh. Banned.

King Pietersen

International Captain

Agree entirely. Great post!

KP is the light at the end of the tunnel when you're sitting through another dour Strauss-Cook partnership. For that he'll always be a great in my books.
:laugh:

Heh. Banned.
Noticed that. Why was Ben banned? Wondered why my VM box wasn't being flooded with messages the past 2 days.