• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was the greatest bowling partnership of them all?

Which was the best bowling partnership?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just watched the Wasim Akram Legends of Cricket video on the cricinfo site and was reminded of the brilliance of the Akram-Younis partnership. There have been a few great ones over the years - but I'll start off this post with the significant ones I've seen in my cricket watching time (i.e. post 1990) and let others talk about the older ones (Lillee-Thomson, any combination of Holding-Roberts-Garner-Marshall or Chandrasekhar-Bedi-Prasanna-Venkat and so on).

McGrath-Warne :

1001 wickets at 23.17.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

The most prolific one by some way in terms of wickets.

Ambrose-Walsh :

762 wickets at 22.68.

Another very long-lasting and successful partnership, both bowlers were nearly impossible to score freely against.

Wasim-Waqar :

559 wickets at 22.12.

The most remarkable thing about this partnership is its sheer lethality in terms of strike rate. Wasim struck at 49.2 and Waqar at 42.0. :-O No wonder it is up there with the best ever even though it was relatively short lived and the two of them reportedly did not even get along particularly well.

I am adding a poll with these three options, and a catch-all "None of the above" where I expect people to plump for Holding-Roberts-Marshall, Lillee-Thomson and other notable partnerships.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I just watched the Wasim Akram Legends of Cricket video on the cricinfo site and was reminded of the brilliance of the Akram-Younis partnership. There have been a few great ones over the years - but I'll start off this post with the significant ones I've seen in my cricket watching time (i.e. post 1990) and let others talk about the older ones (Lillee-Thomson, any combination of Holding-Roberts-Garner-Marshall or Chandrasekhar-Bedi-Prasanna-Venkat and so on).

McGrath-Warne :

1001 wickets at 23.17.

The most prolific one by some way in terms of wickets.

Ambrose-Walsh :

762 wickets at 22.68.

Another very long-lasting and successful partnership, both bowlers were nearly impossible to score freely against.

Wasim-Waqar :

559 wickets at 22.12.

The most remarkable thing about this partnership is its sheer lethality in terms of strike rate. Wasim struck at 49.2 and Waqar at 42.0. :-O No wonder it is up there with the best ever even though it was relatively short lived and the two of them reportedly did not even get along particularly well.

I am adding a poll with these three options, and a catch-all "None of the above" where I expect people to plump for Holding-Roberts-Marshall, Lillee-Thomson and other notable partnerships.
Wasim and Waqar, both Prodigious bowlers.

vcs

Wasim and Waqar, both Prodigious bowlers.
Yeah, for once I'm also going to go by my instincts and ignore all the stats about the number of wins that McGrath-Warne have been involved in, etc. :p

For sheer explosiveness, impact, and entertainment, you just can't look past those two... they complemented each other perfectly. I think the SR reflects that.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No bowling partnership dominated the game like the Warne-McGrath partnership, which is why I am giving them my vote.

Thirdman1

Banned
Mcgrath -Warne partnership was the greatest combo of all time. They have won more matches than any players in the history of cricket.

Moreover Mcgrath-Warne partnership did not take lots of tail ender wickets. Check the average of Akram-Younis against top 3 sides of last 2 decades( OZ,SA,INDIA). It is not something to be proud of. Moreover Mcgrath-Warne partnership was effective in 2000s , the easiest decade for batting.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mcgrath -Warne partnership was the greatest combo of all time. They have won more matches than any players in the history of cricket.

Moreover Mcgrath-Warne partnership did not take lots of tail ender wickets. Check the average of Akram-Younis against top 3 sides of last 2 decades( OZ,SA,INDIA). It is not something to be proud of. Moreover Mcgrath-Warne partnership was effective in 2000s , the easiest decade for batting.
when was India a top 3 side during W's time Wi would be more appropriate I say.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing that made the Warne/McGrath partnership so special was that they had very different strengths as bowlers, both were matchwinners in their own right and both pretty much ignored the quality of the pitch in their ability to dismiss top quality batsmen.

vcs

Some excellent nominations there, Athlai. Trueman-Locke-Laker seems pretty phenomenal. Botham-Willis also underrated, 476 is a lot of wickets.

flibbertyjibber

The problem with Marshall was that he didn't have a real long run with any bowler as he caught the end of the Garner/Holding era and the start of the Ambrose era.For me Marshall was the finest fast bowler i have ever seen and you could arguably stick anyone with him and that would be the best partnership ever.

Voted for Warne/McGrath in the poll as the mere thought of them still gives me nightmares.:laugh:

morgieb

Warne/McGrath. Others were good but if you had hacks around these guys they could still win matches.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Warne/McGrath. Others were good but if you had hacks around these guys they could still win matches.
That's an interesting point, and probably not quantifiable, but I'd agree. Two amazing bowlers and I am thankful they played for us and I got to watch their entire careers.

As for the others, reckon you're doing a disservice to Donald/Pollock by not even naming them in the poll. For me, they're just behind Warne and McGrath.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Some dynamic duo's here.
McGrath Warne takes it for me.
1001 wickets over 104 tests is staggering, including 51 5fers.
Interestingly McGrath MacGill also had a good partnership,though not as long as:
263 wickets in 27 tests with 18 5fers @ 9.74 wickets/tests.