• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joel Garner vs. Dennis Lillee (Tests only)

Who was better?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Without running the numbers through some nerdy stats software, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the difference between averages and economy rates will be significant but the difference between strike-rates, 5-fers and 10-fers won't be.

Top_Cat

Haha, damn I'm good. Can't be ****ed posting a screengrab.

All factors in the table listed about were not significant at 0.05 level (runs scored against and number of 5-fers were close to significance, though) other than the following;

Average, sig, p = 0.04
Econ, sig, p = 0.03

If I get a chance, I'll run some more tests.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, damn I'm good. Can't be ****ed posting a screengrab.

All factors in the table listed about were not significant at 0.05 level (runs scored against and number of 5-fers were close to significance, though) other than the following;

Average, sig, p = 0.04
Econ, sig, p = 0.03

If I get a chance, I'll run some more tests.
can you elaborate on this, what were actually compared? Multi variate regression?

Top_Cat

Nothing so elaborate, just t-tests. Wouldn't mind modelling them, though.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
The "Bowler X played his home games in Pakistan, flat pitches, more impressive" argument doesn't wash. Shoaib will be used to Pakistani pitches, have grown up bowling on them, and will have tailored his game to be successful on those pitches.
The wickets for domestic cricket were helpful for pace bowlers during his time (and continues to be like that till today I think, that's why Pakistan seems to have a never ending line of good pace bowlers) but when it came to International cricket, somehow have been ridiculously flat. So the wickets that he grew upon aren't exactly the wickets he bowled on in test cricket, particularly in the 90s.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing so elaborate, just t-tests. Wouldn't mind modelling them, though.
t-tests are in correct. The number of 5 fors and 10 fors (and centuries too) assume a poisson distribution. You have to use a non parametric test or do a log transformation.

Johan

U19 12th Man
regarding Garner's lack of 5 fers , is Botham a Better bowler then Garner and Such because he has a high volume of 5 fers? Garner was distributing wickets with Holding/Roberts/Marshall e.t.c. e.t.c. and was a change bowler generally, no one expects 5 fers and 10 fers from him.

TheJediBrah

5-fors, 10-fors, 100s, 50s, wickets per match, wickets per innings

all bull**** metrics that are affected just as much, if not more, by factors outside a player's control than their actual abilities and performance. If your argument is relying on those stats it's a ****ty argument

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Garner must have been a true nightmare to face from a batsmen POV. Impossible to have any breathing room and to make matter worse, he could also bowl an accurate yorker. The type any batsman would dread batting against.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
regarding Garner's lack of 5 fers , is Botham a Better bowler then Garner and Such because he has a high volume of 5 fers? Garner was distributing wickets with Holding/Roberts/Marshall e.t.c. e.t.c. and was a change bowler generally, no one expects 5 fers and 10 fers from him.
Being in the company of other ATGs helps to achieve better average and SR though..

Lillee > Garner.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think lack of fifers is an issue. But having checked with Garner, it seems more the case that his lack of fifers is because he was played as third bowler.

Towards the end of his career, he started opening the bowling and took 5 out of 7 of his fifers in a short time.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think Garner was likely a better bowler than Lillee but call me a stickler, I think a bowler in the modern era should have 300 or thereabout wickets to be among the greatest of the greatest ever. Call it a minimum output requirement.

So for that and based on Lillee's high peer rating, I chose Lillee.