• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season 2010

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First win of the season for my team today.
Made 212/7 from our 48. I finished up with 7* from number 9 to see us to our final batting point (200) in the last 16 balls with our number 8.
Fielded awesomely in the covers for most of the game, gathered in a wayward throw at the bowlers end for a run out as well.
Only bowled 2 overs for 12 and was then taken off. Bit harsh IMO but meh. We eventually bowled tham out for 170 odd.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pickup, how does the standard of your u10s/11s compare to that of the major county teams like Sussex, Yorkshire, Lancashire ect?
It's usually a good grade or so below. We don't typically play many first-class sides on the circuit (Northants were on the list until a couple of years back; I don't know why that's no longer played, Gloucs don't run U10 as far as I know - not sure about Warwicks - and Surrey/Middx are too far to be worth the trip.

We played Surrey at the Malvern College festival last year and were looking alright until their legspinner (Angus Dahl - watch the name) took six in short order. Interestingly, the class of the festival last year were Staffordshire (beat Surrey) and Dorset (beat Warwicks). I do know that Middlesex U10 were off-the-scale good, and Kent and Lancashire are usually the pick at the Taunton ESCA festival. The best individual bat I saw last year was Tom Scriven at Berkshire, who scored (at least) two tons including 180* (!!) against Gwent, who admittedly aren't that much cop.

The biggest splitting issue is size of player base and depth of players to play match-winning innings. We typically don't get clattered with the ball: the only times we've been clattered around at 5+ per over have been in the last ten on red hot afternoons when, in all honesty, we've been exhausted. The problem in terms of competing is batting depth - too often we're relying on one or two gun batsmen, hoping they don't get out too cheaply, and then that they go on to make 50+. Naturally carrying a team is not easy, particularly when you're ten. This year, we have five batsmen who could play big, matchwinning innings and then decent depth beyond that, so we've as good a chance as ever as giving an FC county a bloody nose at Malvern.

Whether I'm still so optimistic after our trip to Devon on Sunday remains to be seen. Typically, they're one of the best minor counties - due both to their high population and the depth, spread and organisation of their youth leagues and district cricket systems: so it'll be a good opening game.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Sounds a lot better balanced than when I was playing. I reckon that the age-gap widens quite a lot the older you get, as I remember completely destroying some poor minor county team by 10 wickets. Used to be a bit of a joke playing against them.

Sort of wish that I'd actually played for a minor county team instead, they seemed to have much more fun than we did....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sounds a lot better balanced than when I was playing. I reckon that the age-gap widens quite a lot the older you get, as I remember completely destroying some poor minor county team by 10 wickets. Used to be a bit of a joke playing against them.

Sort of wish that I'd actually played for a minor county team instead, they seemed to have much more fun than we did....
It's closer at a junior level because there is far less gravitation towards the FC counties and their academies. Our lads usually end up at Gloucestershire if they're going to be any good, and I have heard that Middlesex have their eye on Tom Scriven (see previous post). The ECB Championships at the older age levels have been grouped off as of around three years ago to keep the FC sides (+ Staffs and Devon, who have a very good track record for reasons also mentioned earlier) away from the smaller counties.

I think the fun comes down to the coach/manager/team setup rather than the county itself!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cornish cricket is barely even worth mentioning. The day we lose to them will be a black, black day in my life.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It's closer at a junior level because there is far less gravitation towards the FC counties and their academies. Our lads usually end up at Gloucestershire if they're going to be any good, and I have heard that Middlesex have their eye on Tom Scriven (see previous post). The ECB Championships at the older age levels have been grouped off as of around three years ago to keep the FC sides (+ Staffs and Devon, who have a very good track record for reasons also mentioned earlier) away from the smaller counties.

I think the fun comes down to the coach/manager/team setup rather than the county itself!
I found that the fun came from how seriously it was taken. I remember quite clearly that about half of the team (me included) didn't actually care about how well we did, it was just a bit of fun. The other half obviously wanted to do well and go on to do better things and no prizes for gussing which half are still playing and which don't play any cricket anymore :p

Jarquis

Have conceeded 2 weeks running as we can't raise a team.
Once more and we're folded by the league. Will be a merciful day.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Nearly finished my season and just got my batting form back :@:dry:

Yeah great for school got 23 average with some nice club form (average pretty much the same), and got about 25/ wickets this season.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
We lost the toss and were put to field, came on to bowl in the 8th over when the opposition was 40/3, when I was done they were 80/7, all out 106
2/28 in 10 + run out on my bowling and a catch.

I was batting at 7, when I got in we were 35/5(wides being the biggest run maker) after 12 overs...as my highest score this season is 7, I decided to focus on not getting out and getting the opening batsman on strike, this worked wonderfully well until he got out when we reached 95, match saving 60 by him.
I decided to up my own tempo a little and smacked 4 - 2 - 1 and the new batsman finished it off with a four.
110/7 after 30, got 17* myself, didn't give any real chance away, just 3 plays and misses (one nearly hit the wicket via my pads)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cumnor IV 156 (S Weston 3/42)
Bicester & North Oxford III 157/4 (A Balasubramanian 89*, N Pickup 42)

Today was the first league match I have played since last September, and a 75-minute nine in a cowfield in Buckinghamshire. Today, both sides were full of youth players as the holiday season kicked in, and we took two early wickets before the afternoon turned into a slow, turgid grind. Cumnor's skipper was gated, but they worked onwards and were sitting reasonably at 90/3. Our inability to catch a single offering didn't help matters.

However, their remaining opener then walked inside a ball that seamed away a fraction, into my waiting gloves for as straightforward a stumping as you could wish for. Wickets then began to tumble at regular intervals, although Cumnor continued to chip away: mainly thanks to one U14 who could not be dissuaded from playing everything behind square on the leg side, no matter how many times I chided him, nor recited Dick van Dyke's lyrics from Mary Poppins. I am also convinced I had him caught behind at some point during the innings. I did manage a catch that stood in the penultimate over, however, standing up to our opening bowler - and two byes in 45 overs up to the stumps was a pretty pleasing effort. Cumnor 156 all out.

In reply, I was asked to bat three after I described my own batting style as "brick wall, particularly when I'm out of practice and form, such as now". I contemplated saying that was a ridiculous idea, but decided that I was fed up of not scoring runs and this was not an opportunity I'd be passing up. The chance came rather sooner than I expected, after four balls of the first over after the boy at gully dived full length, one-handed, to snatch the ball a yard behind his head.

I decided I'd try to remember everything I always told my squads - with the last match standing out beyond all: one boy made 78 (previous HS: 20) and said to me "I started to get forward properly and then it was just so easy" - so I decided to get forward... and the boy was right. I got off the mark with a flick behind square for four, a shot I rarely play - and even more rarely score off. From that moment onwards, I felt great, and the runs just started to come - ones and twos into gaps, and the odd boundary when the bowlers strayed too far onto the legside. I could feel the chance for the landmark from so early in the innings, but it was to prove not to be: in the 30th over, I made a fatal error - slightly off balance and down the wrong line, the ball scooted through into the back pad, and staring at the umpire did no good.

The second-wicket partnership was 125, and we went on to make 157/4 to record a comfortable six-wicket win: and 25 crucial points in what was a 10th v 9th basement battle.

I never thought I'd be pissed off having scored 42, but there you are: I have seen so many boys make maiden fifties this season, that I knew I could manage it: and it was infuriatingly close. It's a funny combination of pride and anger: but if today's taught me anything, it's told me that I am teaching the boys the right things, and that anyone can get runs if they do the hard yards.

Stupid game!

Last edited:

Jarquis

Haha, you made it closer than I did with my 25 then. I was also out LBW, guy bowling close to the stumps, seemed to be moving away from the hand, pitched a touch outside off and came back down the hill. Hit me about shin high infront of off I reckon. No complaints with the decision, just got done by a ball that moved both ways.
Was gutted though, was 4 balls after my 61 run partnership was broken (out of a total of 94 :p). Tbf, his first ball was wide of the crease and just angled all the way in and came in off the seam, so was half expecting his second ball to do the opposite.

Also, when bowling offspin in the pissing rain, I had an LBW shout, which was given not out. The conversation with the umpire was this :-

Me - Howzat
Umpire - Not Out
Me afterwards - Why not?
Ump - He had a big stride in don't you think?
Me - He was stuck on the crease and it hit him ankle high :unsure:
Ump - Well he was playing a shot.
Me - You think it hit him outside the line?
Ump - Yeah, and might've been going down leg.

WTF, I had barely got a ball off straight in my spell, the ball and pitch were drenched.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Got my first game in well over 2 years tomorrow. First game at a half decent standard in about 4.I leave the house at 4 am and will have half an hour to get from the airport after a 6 hr flight till the game starts. Combination of exhaustion, rust and bad knees mean this could be messy. I have low expectations.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
National Cricket Champions of the Philippines :)

T20 final played under lights on Friday nights. 2 for 20 odd for me opening the bowling. They got 166-8 and we knocked them off 4 down with 2.5 overs to space.

Not a great day for me with the bat 2 off 3 but I was happy with the bowling as I have pulls in my left groin, right quad and right hammy. Matter of compression shorts, tape, painkillers, a beer before the game and coming off 5 steps.

I was dubious coming here about the Philippines National League but that final under lights was a great advert for cricket here. Decent standard and good game. Not a real Filipino on the field but maybe that will come as the development program kicks in.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Congrats Goughy :)

I did eventually make a 50 this season. I got 59* at close to a run a ball :D