• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season 2010

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not quite that village but it's not taken very seriously at all. IIRC the Sunday side ends up with a few youngesters. They lost by 3 wickets after making 37 last week.
If I can get you a Saturday game then you'd enjoy the night out after lol.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not quite that village but it's not taken very seriously at all. IIRC the Sunday side ends up with a few youngesters. They lost by 3 wickets after making 37 last week.
If I can get you a Saturday game then you'd enjoy the night out after lol.
Sounds like a decent idea actually. No guarantees, but could be bloody funny.

stephen

0/25 (4) DNB - first game
1/32 (4) 11 - second game. The wicket I got was a set batsman (2nd top scorer) who I got stumped. The reason for the terrible economy was bowling at the death (I'm a legspinner) and a dropped catch (an absolute sitter) and several misqueued shots that landed a couple of metres away from a fielder. Could easily have been 4/15 on another day. I got out swinging when we had 2 overs to make 26 runs (and I was batting at #11). I'm more of a nudger and poker as a batsman than a hitter.

Jarquis

One bye whilst keeping and a run out. Lost by 6 wickets with 2 overs remaining.
Got out for 2(2) caught short leg after watching 3 of our top order get out to leading edges from balls that got stuck in the pitch half way down. RAGE.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
had a right crap start four defeats out of four, on a personall note top score of 33 opening and a few wickets with the leg spinners. hoping optimisticaly for better.:unsure:

slowfinger

International Debutant
Captain of my school team, I took a lot of wickets, and I open the batting aswell but I havent started quite as I would have liked to in my first 10 odd games, I have probably over 15/20 wickets, but probably less than 60/70 runs, so things could be better, waiting for games tomorrow, day after and on Sunday :cool:

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Playing in a 2020 tournament at the moment and yesterday I played but we lost against a bunch of rep cricketers. Batted alright, had to hold up an end against some bloody fast bowlers. Bowled pretty well though, 4 overs, 2 for 27.

Jarquis

Didn't play on the weekend... We conceeded 398 from 48 overs with 9 in the field after our captain got injured.
Safe to say we got beat.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Have just joined a cricket league in bay area and have played 3 games so far. (all 20-20. No one has the time for more.) The team is very bowling heavy and after 2 games without a wicket (though I only bowled 2 overs in each) and giving away run a ball when a score of 90 is huge, yesterdays match was very important for me. Took 4-15 in 4 overs. Was really a massive confidence boost. I bowl leg spin btw.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In the middle of a wonderful run with my school's U11 sides. They are playing together as a great unit, positive cricket, in a great spirit and looking an absolute class apart from many of the other sides on the school circuit, including schools which we've lost to in previous years.

Playing declaration cricket over afternoons where you typically see 65 overs played, we have won our last five games batting first and bowling the opposition out within the time - by an aggregate margin of 500 runs, The confidence flowing amongst the boys is brilliant to see, and it's just pushing the performances higher.

Our spinner (who is a front-of-the-hand leggie and something of a cross between Kumble and Mendis in terms of approach and action) looks totally innocuous, yet for some reason is coming off as totally unplayable. Yesterday he took five for two off five overs against a side trying to bat out a draw, giving him season figures of 21 @ 6.62, and figures in the last five games of 19 for 90. Unfortunately he's not heard of Jim Laker.

We've also got a B team, who I always knew were a strong bowling unit - but which I didn't think were that great with the bat - who are on 7 out of 7 so far, with an aggregate of 944 runs @ 43 scored - against 367 runs @ 5.2 conceded. This season has seen one lad score a maiden fifty for the A side, plus four other half-centuries from players who had made that mark before: and then, better still, seven fifties and - yesterday - a maiden century from the Bs. Overall, that's 13 scores of 50+ from 11 different boys.

It's now half term, and I am utterly exhausted, but looking back at those numbers, right now I'm incredibly proud of what these boys have achieved... and, having worked with this group for the whole of last summer, last winter and this current summer, I'm also feeling pretty good as a coach.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have just joined a cricket league in bay area and have played 3 games so far. (all 20-20. No one has the time for more.) The team is very bowling heavy and after 2 games without a wicket (though I only bowled 2 overs in each) and giving away run a ball when a score of 90 is huge, yesterdays match was very important for me. Took 4-15 in 4 overs. Was really a massive confidence boost. I bowl leg spin btw.
Great job. What league?

chris.hinton

International Captain
In the middle of a wonderful run with my school's U11 sides. They are playing together as a great unit, positive cricket, in a great spirit and looking an absolute class apart from many of the other sides on the school circuit, including schools which we've lost to in previous years.

Playing declaration cricket over afternoons where you typically see 65 overs played, we have won our last five games batting first and bowling the opposition out within the time - by an aggregate margin of 500 runs, The confidence flowing amongst the boys is brilliant to see, and it's just pushing the performances higher.

Our spinner (who is a front-of-the-hand leggie and something of a cross between Kumble and Mendis in terms of approach and action) looks totally innocuous, yet for some reason is coming off as totally unplayable. Yesterday he took five for two off five overs against a side trying to bat out a draw, giving him season figures of 21 @ 6.62, and figures in the last five games of 19 for 90. Unfortunately he's not heard of Jim Laker.

We've also got a B team, who I always knew were a strong bowling unit - but which I didn't think were that great with the bat - who are on 7 out of 7 so far, with an aggregate of 944 runs @ 43 scored - against 367 runs @ 5.2 conceded. This season has seen one lad score a maiden fifty for the A side, plus four other half-centuries from players who had made that mark before: and then, better still, seven fifties and - yesterday - a maiden century from the Bs. Overall, that's 13 scores of 50+ from 11 different boys.

It's now half term, and I am utterly exhausted, but looking back at those numbers, right now I'm incredibly proud of what these boys have achieved... and, having worked with this group for the whole of last summer, last winter and this current summer, I'm also feeling pretty good as a coach.
Looks like you got a good set up there Neil, Fair Play!

To Be Honest i am looking to be a Cricket Coach as i am not doing much playing wise

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To Be Honest i am looking to be a Cricket Coach as i am not doing much playing wise
When you've got a playing career like mine, coaching's really the only option if you want anything resembling standards in your cricket. This summer is my tenth season of involvement with youth sides (the first two were little more than scoring/helping out, but the other eight have been as a coach/manager) - and I still love it. I enjoy it far more than my playing right now, if I'm honest...

It helps that my sides keep getting involved in crackers. Today my North Oxfordshire U11 side (whose only game so far was a one-run defeat to the County U10 side) travelled to South Northants. Typically this is the sort of fixture that demonstrates the FC/Minor divide (though it is more down to population and organisation at this level, and the minors do punch above our weight sometimes).

We were asked to bat on a greenish track under grey skies, and made decent progress for 24 overs to be sitting quiet comfortably at 101/5. We then lost three wickets in four balls, and were monumentally greatful for #8 and #10 to stick around for 40 minutes and push our tally up to 140 all out, which was just within the 140-150 range I'd hoped for as a target at the start of the innings.

In reply, we started off rather too English by banging the ball in at our own feet, and the hosts got off to a decent start. However, we went to our spinner early (the same boy I mentioned earlier in the post about school), and he was as accurate as ever: turning in 8-4-11-1 as we kept it stiflingly tight. With batting depth to come, however, they managed to accelerate sufficiently to keep in touch, even as wickets fell. A few radar issues didn't help keep the pressure up: and it was 131/8 at the beginning of the final over.

The first ball was pulled for four, then a single was run. 5 off 4 to win, but with the #10 facing, we thought we were back favourites... not when he pulled his first ball for two: 3 off 3. The next ball brought a comedy run out through to the keeper as the set batsman kept the strike at the complete expense of his partner. Then, from ball 39.5, the batsman shuffled across to work to leg, and was hit in front.

I had a long think, and decided I couldn't not give it. This did have the unintended consequence of nobody looking at me at the moment I gave it out, as both bowler and keeper had forgotten their appeal in the scramble to prevent any potential leg bye. Slightly farcical, but thoroughly well-deserved... and a treasured 1-up for the Minor County!

North Oxfordshire 140 all out 36.5 overs
South Northamptonshire 138 all out 39.5 overs

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pickup, how does the standard of your u10s/11s compare to that of the major county teams like Sussex, Yorkshire, Lancashire ect?