• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Bicknell

masterblaster

International Captain
What a bloody good bowler he is!!!!

Where have England been hiding this man?!?!?!

Sure his age and wealth of experience have helped him, he deserves his place on the International Stage.

Well Done Bickers!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's been 'hiding' at the Oval.

Martin Bicknell has been Surrey's 'player of the year' for the last 5 seasons - this in a side which contains Rampers (now), Thorpe, Stewart, Brown, Rikki (put that in for DD's sake), Ward, Hollioake, Ormond, Saqlain etc etc etc.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Gough and Caddick yes, but surely not Tudor, Malcolm, Giddins and the like.
Remove Malcolm from that list - totally different type of bowler. 90+ mph as opposed to 80 - that's why they used to wheel him out a couple of times a year when there was a quick wicket.

Funnily enough, Bicknell's form and stature has improved as the Oval has lost its pace.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Put it down to the selectors. I can't see how Harmison is supposed to be a better bowler than this guy. Ok Marc will argue that they are different types of bowlers, but it's the type of bowler you are, it's how well you bowl and how many wickets you take. Well done Bickers :D

That's 2 of the 4 bowlers I mentioned that Marc put down as "good county seamers but nowhere near International Class", IE Bickers and Kirtley. Only Kevin Dean and Martin Saggers to go :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't remember putting Bicknell or Kirtley down, I certiainly doubt I would have done that with regards Bicknell, as I have always admired his talent greatly.

For the conditions, Bicknell has proven a good selection here, and it's unlikely Harmison's bowling would've been so suited to Headingley, so I expect that they decided not to risk him, when it is better to save him for the Oval.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
stop knocking anderson! surely england don't want to dispose of great talent?! anyway, well bowled bicknell great comeback.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr. Ponting said:
stop knocking anderson! surely england don't want to dispose of great talent?! anyway, well bowled bicknell great comeback.
Anderson looks very jaded and doesn't seem anything like 100% - of course we don't want to dispose of him, but you wouldn't drive a car with two flat tyres, would you?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
Heaven forbid, I am NOT knocking Anderson. He needs a rest. He has the capability to become an exceptional bowler, but he is being asked to carry too much of a burden at this moment in time.

You can't do back-to-backs at his age. Nothing to do with the physical side - the mental burden is too great. I would have said "Great start, 21 wickets in 5 tests. Now go away for a fortnight, put your feet up and I'll see you at The Oval"

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I always wondered why the man wasnt given a chance.. to me he does seem better than tudor.. but mainly the chose tudor as "allrounder" purpose..

But i still think they should give bicknell a go before its time for him to retire aswell, or its too late , i reckon he will do good

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I don't remember putting Bicknell or Kirtley down, I certiainly doubt I would have done that with regards Bicknell, as I have always admired his talent greatly.

For the conditions, Bicknell has proven a good selection here, and it's unlikely Harmison's bowling would've been so suited to Headingley, so I expect that they decided not to risk him, when it is better to save him for the Oval.
I do remember you saying Kirtley was no were nere International standerd actualy.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
yep, bicknell certainly looks the goods now, pity he hasn't been given more a chance.:(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bicknell's done an excellent stock-bowler job, as has Kirtley. That type of bowler has always been England's strength - a bit like Mike Hendrick.

Talk of them being 'international class' after 2 or 3 tests is utter nonsense.

Remember Cork's start in international cricket? Second-fastest to 50 test wickets after Botham, looked as though he would go on to take hundreds.

The true test of international class is how you perform on the sub-continent, in the West Indies, in Australia, not in 'trundler-friendly' conditions.

Cloete

International Captain
well this sums it up:

93.3 Bicknell to Zondeki, no run, beauty! this one came back after
pitching outside the off stump, Zondeki offers no shot, ball
passes the off stump by a whisker

94.4 Kirtley to Kirsten, no run, ripper! fuller length delivery pitched
just outside the off stump and moving away, Kirsten pushes at it and gets beaten