• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Bicknell

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
England have bowled for the most part with more discipline this morning (yesterday afternoon was just total, thoughtless rubbish).

Saying that, Kirtley has been less than impressive with his line - too much leg-side with a 7-2 field, for goodness sake. Anderson seems to be bowling well within himself - and looks all the better for it.

Bicknell (back on topic) was quite exceptional.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I don't remember putting Bicknell or Kirtley down, I certiainly doubt I would have done that with regards Bicknell, as I have always admired his talent greatly.
Selective memory ;)

Bicknell you have allways put down as too old, Kirtley as not Test Standard.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Selective memory ;)

You're judging Kirtley on one performance to justify that statement - at a ground where 20 wickets falling in a day is the norm this season.

I'll put my head on the line and say that Kirtley will turn out to be OK as far as 'test standard' is concerned - may be able to do a job of 3rd or 4th seamer for a year or so, as about 10 other journeyman pro's can do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Selective memory ;)

I have never put him down as too old, just said that I though it unlikely he'd get a call up.

There is a distinct difference as I would never criticise one I rate so highly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bicknell's name is mentioned in passing that thread, and Kirtley's appears twice.

At no point in there have I said the things people on here allege that I've said.

In fact I stand by everything I did say since there is a big gulf between the CC and Tests.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
In fact I stand by everything I did say since there is a big gulf between the CC and Tests.
Which doesn't mean that players will not raise to that level

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wondered why Rik hadn't been posting much recently - he's been busy going through all 9,000-odd of Marc's posts:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having watched 80%+ of the the third and fourth Test matches, I can now see why Bicknell, Kirtley et al never got "proper recognition".

They seem to be purely and simply English line-and-length conditions bowlers. If they don't have the conditions to bowl swing into then they will be around as penetrative as a three pin plug into corrugated iron.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Having watched 80%+ of the the third and fourth Test matches, I can now see why Bicknell, Kirtley et al never got "proper recognition".

They seem to be purely and simply English line-and-length conditions bowlers. If they don't have the conditions to bowl swing into then they will be around as penetrative as a three pin plug into corrugated iron.
Or that Bicknell hardly ever bowls a bad ball...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I wondered why Rik hadn't been posting much recently - he's been busy going through all 9,000-odd of Marc's posts:D
Nope...I've been recording more RWWWWRRRRAAAAAKKKKK music :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:

That's my view on the subject as well Neil, and not one I've been afraid to voice!