• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whatever happend to multi nation ODI tournaments?

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
whatever happend to the multi nation ODI tournaments that were so popular in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's

In the last 3-4 years there have been so few of these ODI tournaments. I almost feel there is no or very little cricket being played these days because of this. and i am not a fan of IPL

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ that sucks

I really enjoyed them, way more then IPL

IPL is mostly enjoyable for indians

what about the rest of us?

I mean if they make some global 20/20 league or something, that would nice

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blame Sachin for Australia's non-participation in these tournaments. :ph34r: After losing the '98 Sharjah series, they stopped participating in neutral venue tri-nation series. After losing the 2008 CB series to another Sachin century in the final, they decided to discontinue that tournament altogether. :ph34r:

Seriously though, it's just an outdated format.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
It made no financial sense.
why not? most games between india/pakistan were packed with people in the stadiums

also games held in sharjah, england and australia had good attendance. i didn't understand why they just scraped the whole idea of ODI multination tournaments, i mean they could have just adjusted somethings that were causing some financial problems, but surely odi's between good teams were worth watching and a a lot of people did watch them

a lot of people i talk to agree with me, they feel like there is very little cricket these days because most of us are not intrested in IPL and test matches are not played that often, there is a definate gap in cricket over the last 3-4 years that is being felt by a lot of us, ICC should really do some thing about this

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because the home team playing will always make more money than two neutrals. Hence it makes no financial sense.

The only tri-series which would make a lot of money compared to bilateral is England vs. India vs. Pakistan held in England. That's it.

The only tri-series which would make a lot of money compared to bilateral is England vs. India vs. Pakistan held in England. That's it.
The problem being is just waiting for the qualifing games to finish to see who wins the final out of India and Pakistan.:laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Because the home team playing will always make more money than two neutrals. Hence it makes no financial sense.

I think it still made money.

One of the problems was that it led to more useless one day series'. For example, when two teams came over to Australia, it meant that Australia owed them both a one day series each in return.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it still made money.

One of the problems was that it led to more useless one day series'. For example, when two teams came over to Australia, it meant that Australia owed them both a one day series each in return.
But it didn't make more money, which is the key point.

Definitely were fun to watch, but commercially it was not the right move.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
^ that sucks

I really enjoyed them, way more then IPL

IPL is mostly enjoyable for indians

what about the rest of us?

I mean if they make some global 20/20 league or something, that would nice
Yeah, they should make a world series Twenty20 competition and have a massive multi-million dollar draft between 10 different fantasy sides just to piss off the IPL.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I don't know. You should just watch AFL instead. It's better then Soccer and it there is allot less political drama.