• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whatever happend to multi nation ODI tournaments?

Sir Alex

Banned
Is my memory playing tricks on me or did we have a triseries involving India, Sri Lanka and Ban early this year?

Most tri nation tournaments these days need either India to be financially successful. And usually the window for that used to be March to June.

Now, IPL has eaten into that also.

If am not mistaken there is a tri series coming up in mid May after t20 world cup with India being one of the participants.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yes, there is a tri series involving India, Zimbabwe and .... Yes you guessed it, Sri Lanka.

Followed by Asia Cup, involving India, Pakistan, Ban and SL in Sl.

Yet another year of India vs Sri Lanka ODIs. :laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
8-) Hope Sachin skips all of the above. Time for the likes of Raina, Kohli, Murali Vijay etc. to shine.

Sir Alex

Banned
8-) Hope Sachin skips all of the above. Time for the likes of Raina, Kohli, Murali Vijay etc. to shine.
Would like him to skip the Zim tri series, but not Asia Cup, as we need him to have sufficient match practise on the way to SA, and then the World Cup.

There were talks of India playing in Sl a few tests as well. Hopefully that's confirmed.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would like him to skip the Zim tri series, but not Asia Cup, as we need him to have sufficient match practise on the way to SA, and then the World Cup.

There were talks of India playing in Sl a few tests as well. Hopefully that's confirmed.
Yeah, a Test series in SL would be nice. The Indian batting lineup has unfinished business there.

Sir Alex

Banned
I just checked the fixtures and there isn't a tour of SA by India this year end! :-O

And after Asia Cup, there is yet another tri series involving Ind, Nz and Sl in Sl! That's 3 series in a row involving Ind and Sl, **** me dead!!

And we don't play another test match till after World Cup in 2011. That means no internationals whatsoever since July till next year feb. Can'T see BCCI making sure our guys have proper rest like that!

Teja.

Global Moderator
I just checked the fixtures and there isn't a tour of SA by India this year end! :-O

And after Asia Cup, there is yet another tri series involving Ind, Nz and Sl in Sl! That's 3 series in a row involving Ind and Sl, **** me dead!!

And we don't play another test match till after World Cup in 2011. That means no internationals whatsoever since July till next year feb. Can'T see BCCI making sure our guys have proper rest like that!
I'm darn sure the Test Series against SL in SL and SA this year end are confirmed, even though the cricinfo fixtures does not have them listed.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ice hockey is awesome when you are there. On TV, bit hard to see the puck for mine :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm darn sure the Test Series against SL in SL and SA this year end are confirmed, even though the cricinfo fixtures does not have them listed.
India are definitely going to SA.

It is going to be ****ing awesome.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of those multi-team ODI tournaments in the subcontinent are frankly a waste of time, showing little quality cricket, are often not taken seriously and are no more than a means of promoting little-known or newly-launched brands. The IPL, for all its problems, used famous brands to get sponsorship, but we've never heard of most of the title sponsors of these subcontinental events.

We had long forgotten about Kitply in India, and they sponsored the ODI triangular in Bangladesh involving India and Pakistan. Then an out-of-schedule ODI bilateral between India and Sri Lanka emerged, and only when the first game began did we hear of the title sponsor, one IDBI Fortis Wealthsurance. Then came yet another ODI triangular in SL, which promoted Compaq, once a leading PC manufacturer, now a cheap arm of HP. Then came Karbonn, an indigenous Indian cellphone manufacturer, who were promoted by the India-Sri Lanka ODI series later. Nobody's even heard of these brands, and any team lifting the trophy will only be giving them mileage.

A lof of these events, as mentioned earlier, involve India and Sri Lanka. This has often led to a whole lot of their players getting injured or suffering slumps in form. That doesn't make for quality cricket. Moreover, some international teams, particularly those not in a tour, but only for an ODI triangular, often send weakened teams, which doesn't often help matters, unless those apparently weakened teams prove everyone wrong.

Then there's the financial viability angle- they just want more money out of more matches in bilaterals.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ the best thing would be if they held like 3-4 major ODI tournaments every years with 5 teams minimum, and yeah they should all include India i guess. The would be interesting and competitive and definatly more people will watch those tournaments.

I am not sure why ICC wants to get rid of ODI's or atleast i have that feeling.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Who would want to watch a tri series with India, Sri Lanka and one other rotating team every year

Really enjoyed the old tri series in Australia. No one cared about the neutral fixtures though.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
^ thats why i am saying 5 teams minimum, i mean who doesn't enjoy a good like Australia vs India or Sri lanka vs South africa etc....