• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Alan Davidson sit amongst the pantheon of great fast bowlers?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alan Davidson | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Where does AK Davidson sit amongst the all time great fast bowlers?

His test match career was a decade long, he finished with one of the greatest averages of all time, he was a genuine allrounder (although more of the Hadlee type than the Miller or Sobers type) and had one of the best economy rates of all time.

Why does it seem that he is always left out of discussions about the greatest fast bowlers of all time?

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Sits just outside the top 10 fast bowlers for me.

For 5 years from 1958 onwards, he was absolutely brilliant averaging just under 20. Didn't do to much outside those 5 years however, so suffers in the longevity stakes.

Personally always find it hard to separate between him and Lindwall for a berth in the Aussie all time XI. As an allround package, there are few better than him.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that he averaged <20 for most of the career (where most people who did that didn't play after WWI), and all the guns had quit by his peak, means he's probably one the best to play. I agree with the notion that he was underrated.

fredfertang

His career at the top was incredibly short - just 5 years really and then at 33 he was gone - I don't suppose it helps that the series that he played in so successfully were either fairly dull or remembered for other things (the tied Test in 60/61 and the throwing controversy of 58/59) - but his record speaks for itself and he signed off appropriately taking a wicket with his last ball in Test cricket

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, despite his amazing average, the brevity of his career really precludes him from being considered amongst the truly top tier of great bowlers IMO.

fredfertang

Why did he retire at 33 from tests and at 34 from FCC?
I presume its the usual one for Australians of that vintage that as he was, essentially, an amateur cricketer, that family pressures etc meant he had to get on with earning a living

Matt79

Global Moderator
Got a feeling there may have been an injury concern as well? Would have to go check though. Really, back then (actually, these days as well), 33 was pretty long in the tooth for a quick - the end comes pretty quickly for most of them around that time.

Matt79

Global Moderator
From The Don's foreword to Davidson's autobiography:
"Regretably, and all too soon, the chapter is closed. And yet I cannot help agreeing with Alan's decision to leave the stage whilst his ability and reputation stand so high in the public image.

He could have gone on. Another English tour was virtually certain and many more dazzling performances. But in this exacting world the claims of a business careeer cannot be delayed too long nor can the family commitments be overlooked, especially when an increasing number of international tours* seems to be forthcoming.

On the field of play only the individual fully appreciates how each passing year makes it just a little harder to get fit and stay fit, and just a little easier for muscles to tear instead of stretch. And Alan was rather prone to injury and mishaps so that he fully understood the hazards.
"

* - at the end of the book, Davidson devotes half a chapter to spelling out in detail how players in his time actually lost money to go overseas on a tour, as well as the attendent problems of being able to hold down a job, and losing seniority/chances for promotion.

fredfertang

I dug out the book as well - it really was an age of innocence wasn't it? - not even bothering to endorse any cricket equipment either - I presume he didn't actually have to buy his own kit/equipment but tbh wouldn't be totally surprised if he did

archie mac

International Coach
The notion that he was above Lillee and Lindwall is quite strange. Contemporaries of Davidson never rated him above Lindwall and when Lillee retired there was no mention of Davidson being considered in the same class as FOT.

When Benaud picked the best team of his period in the game, he could not find a place for Davo.

Having said that, he was a quality player and should be mentioned in the top drawer of fast bowlers. Davo was always a hero of mine as his autobio was one of the first cricket books I read:)

Teja.

Global Moderator
The notion that he was above Lillee and Lindwall is quite strange. Contemporaries of Davidson never rated him above Lindwall and when Lillee retired there was no mention of Davidson being considered in the same class as FOT.

When Benaud picked the best team of his period in the game, he could not find a place for Davo.

Having said that, he was a quality player and should be mentioned in the top drawer of fast bowlers. Davo was always a hero of mine as his autobio was one of the first cricket books I read:)
I'm considering his allround abilities when keeping him in my Aus XI. As bowler's alone, Slightly under Lindwall, still over Lillee.

I've always been a little bitter about Lillee being rated as highly as he is, I know there is more to cricket than statistics and all that, but considering it was a bowler-friendly era, his average compared to bowlers like Garner and Marshall and even bowlers like Imran and Hadlee and modern bowlers like McGrath, Ambrose & Donald is great but not phenomenal.

I admit I've never had the pleasure of watching Lille bowl and my opinion of him is probably unreasonable. Could anyone shed a light on his average? Did he decline sharply and continue playing or was it an injury?

Matt79

Global Moderator
sigh. that's me out of this thread. Really, when someone says that they're 'bitter' about how a player is rated by those who played with him and saw his career in full, and then says in the same breath that they never saw him play themeselves and haven't done much research on their career, what do you say.

The simplest way to put it is that your question is the same as someone is a few years saying "I'm bitter about how Tendulkar is rated, and always prefer to have Sehwag and Dravid in my team. When you look at his record in a batsman friendly era, compared to Kallis, Ponting or Jayawardena, its great but not phenomenal". It would be an equally inaccurate statement.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I'm considering his allround abilities when keeping him in my Aus XI. As bowler's alone, Slightly under Lindwall, still over Lillee.

I've always been a little bitter about Lillee being rated as highly as he is, I know there is more to cricket than statistics and all that, but considering it was a bowler-friendly era, his average compared to bowlers like Garner and Marshall and even bowlers like Imran and Hadlee and modern bowlers like McGrath, Ambrose & Donald is great but not phenomenal.

I admit I've never had the pleasure of watching Lille bowl and my opinion of him is probably unreasonable. Could anyone shed a light on his average? Did he decline sharply and continue playing or was it an injury?
Probably the same season why Shane Warne and Viv Richards have great but not phenomenal averages in their respective specialty.

Teja.

Global Moderator
sigh. that's me out of this thread. Really, when someone says that they're 'bitter' about how a player is rated by those who played with him and saw his career in full, and then says in the same breath that they never saw him play themeselves and haven't done much research on their career, what do you say.

The simplest way to put it is that your question is the same as someone is a few years saying "I'm bitter about how Tendulkar is rated, and always prefer to have Sehwag and Dravid in my team. When you look at his record in a batsman friendly era, compared to Kallis, Ponting or Jayawardena, its great but not phenomenal". It would be an equally inaccurate statement.
I've already stated that I'm probably being unreasonable, I apologize if I was looking condescending.

archie mac

International Coach
I've already stated that I'm probably being unreasonable, I apologize if I was looking condescending.
Well at least you admit that you do not know all of the facts, and can accept that stats are not everything.

Lillee lost a couple of seasons to injury when a young bowler and then two more when at his peak to WSC:)

His average went up towards the end of his career just as Viv's batting ave: went down towards the end of his playing career:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A book could be written on Lillee so what I say here is hardly comprensive:

- He was the exceptional (number 1) seam bowler of the 70's. No real debate is possible on that. Bob Willis, the great English quick and 2nd leading fast bowling wickettaker of the 70s, took less wickets but played in 16 more Tests than Lillee
- He averages over 5 wickets a test for his career which is almost unheard of for a fast bowler. Something only Hadlee has done of retired seamers with a decent (150) number of wickets
- He is universally admired by his peers and regarded as the top of his profession.

These, and others, combined with his longevity and records, are pretty substantial evidence of his greatness. Also his legacy is great. He is the father of the ultra professional and thinking but aggressive fast bowler. Aside from everything else, his impact on the game has been great and he changed it.

Statistically Lillee had an amazing career but that must also be combined with how he was/is viewed by his opponents and teammates and I find it hard to understand what there is to argue about.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Well at least you admit that you do not know all of the facts, and can accept that stats are not everything.

Lillee lost a couple of seasons to injury when a young bowler and then two more when at his peak to WSC:)

His average went up towards the end of his career just as Viv's batting ave: went down towards the end of his playing career:)
A book could be written on Lillee so what I say here is hardly comprensive:

- He was the exceptional (number 1) seam bowler of the 70's. No real debate is possible on that. Bob Willis, the great English quick and 2nd leading fast bowling wickettaker of the 70s, took less wickets but played in 16 more Tests than Lillee
- He averages over 5 wickets a test for his career which is almost unheard of for a fast bowler. Something only Hadlee has done of retired seamers with a decent (150) number of wickets
- He is universally admired by his peers and regarded as the top of his profession.

These, and others, combined with his longevity and records, are pretty substantial evidence of his greatness. Also his legacy is great. He is the father of the ultra professional and thinking but aggressive fast bowler. Aside from everything else, his impact on the game has been great and he changed it.

Statistically Lillee had an amazing career but that must also be combined with how he was/is viewed by his opponents and teammates and I find it hard to understand what there is to argue about.
Thank you for the insights guys.