• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Walsh underrated?

There is always talk about the Hadlees,Ambroses,Wasims,Lillees and Waqars but hardly anyone ever mentions Walsh when talking about the great fast bowlers.Isn't that a bit harsh seeing he is the second most successful fast bowler ever?

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'd take him over a certain Australian ATG bowler who averaged a similar amount and played 62 matches lesser than him and that is saying a lot.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There is always talk about the Hadlees,Ambroses,Wasims,Lillees and Waqars but hardly anyone ever mentions Walsh when talking about the great fast bowlers.Isn't that a bit harsh seeing he is the second most successful fast bowler ever?
He's the second highest wicket taker because of his longevity.

A class act no doubt, but certainly a step below the greatest West Indian quicks, never mind some of the greatest quicks produced elsewhere.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He's rated pretty accurately for mine. A great bowler, but not in the alltime very elite greats bracket like his contemporaries Marshall and Ambrose, or a McGrath, Hadlee, Lillee etc etc. 500+ wickets at <25 is a difficult record to argue for him being anything than a true great nonetheless.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah don't think he was in the WI gun group in their minds either, considering how many times he was dropped.

Had his moments, though. Was obviously a top-shelf, professional Test quick.

Days of Grace

International Captain
From the mid-1990s to his retirement, he has an outstanding record.

I think he is judged relative to what came before him.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
He's rated pretty accurately for mine. A great bowler, but not in the alltime very elite greats bracket like his contemporaries Marshall and Ambrose, or a McGrath, Hadlee, Lillee etc etc. 500+ wickets at <25 is a difficult record to argue for him being anything than a true great nonetheless.
A whole whopping 0.52 more runs per wicket than Lillee - who played in a time where the ball dominated the bat. I'd definitely rate Walsh ahead of Waqar at least.

And Walsh's average is lower than Warne's. His record against India is truly great, especially in India.

But in cricket, as in life, first impressions are everything. Walsh was always tagged as the "weakest" West Indian bowler, a tag despite how much he accomplished he never shrugged off.

Surprisingly, his bowling average for the 80's is 24.24, 0.2 lower than his career average. So much for being a terrible bowler in that decade.

I think Walsh's biggest let down is his strike rate, 57.8.

vcs

I think Walsh was a slightly less talented bowler than Ambrose but a smarter one than him. Ambrose at times almost seemed contented to bowl just short of a length and go for 2 RPO even if he wasn't threatening batsmen on a regular basis.

morgieb

Probably rated the same way he should be - a very good bowler, yes, an all-time great, no.

vcs

Does anyone have the video of the incident where Walsh refused to run out the No. 11 Pakistan batsman in the '87 WC, resulting in WI losing the match? What a legend. :notworthy

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rafique did it for Bangladesh vs. Pakistan too yeah? He refused to run him out/mankad, and if he did Bangladesh would have won a test match :-o

Matt79

Global Moderator
A whole whopping 0.52 more runs per wicket than Lillee - who played in a time where the ball dominated the bat. I'd definitely rate Walsh ahead of Waqar at least.

And Walsh's average is lower than Warne's. His record against India is truly great, especially in India.

But in cricket, as in life, first impressions are everything. Walsh was always tagged as the "weakest" West Indian bowler, a tag despite how much he accomplished he never shrugged off.

Surprisingly, his bowling average for the 80's is 24.24, 0.2 lower than his career average. So much for being a terrible bowler in that decade.

I think Walsh's biggest let down is his strike rate, 57.8.
Probably tells you that a career bowling average is a pretty blunt tool to assess a bowler's quality more than anything else. Oh, and that you don't compare fast bowlers with spinners. Fortunately some of us can find things to discuss about cricket that aren't directly drawn from the manipulation of Statsguru.

shivfan

Banned
Yes, he's underrated....

Yes, I'd rate him as an all-time great....

he took his personal fitness very seriously, which is why he was able to prolong his career for such a long time, outlasting all the other great WI pacers, except maybe Malcolm Marshall in terms of time in the game. Unlike a few WI pacers, who were not as potent when they lost their pace, Walsh got better with age, thanks to his repetoire, to which he always added.

flibbertyjibber

How can he be rated an all time great when in all honesty he probably wouldn't even make the 2nd team if you were to pick all time West Indies sides such was the depth they had at one time.A very good bowler yes but not as good as Ambrose,Holding,Marshall etc...

One thing though,if West Indies had a couple of bowlers half as good as him they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now.

shivfan

Banned
To me, longevity has an important role to play in selecting an all-time great....

If you can be a top wicket-taker over 15 years, I rate that over being a top wicket-taker over eight years....

Matt79

Global Moderator
How can he be rated an all time great when in all honesty he probably wouldn't even make the 2nd team if you were to pick all time West Indies sides such was the depth they had at one time.A very good bowler yes but not as good as Ambrose,Holding,Marshall etc...

One thing though,if West Indies had a couple of bowlers half as good as him they wouldn't be in the mess they are in now.
Because more than any other country, West Indies have had a ridiculous list of all time great bowlers. Reckon he'd make the second XI comfortably tbh.

1st XI:
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Garner

2nd XI:
Roberts
Walsh
Hall
Ramadhin/Valentine

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You're forgetting Roy Gilchrist for that extra little fear factor!

Do feel Walsh is slightly underrated tbh. Performed to such a high standard for so long