• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's bowling support cast

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Totally agree, he was an extremely good bowler. Pity he had such a poor Ashes to finish, was awesome before that.
Are you forgetting his double century against Bangladesh? How many players get dropped after scoring a double century? Think he bowled well that match too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Crims had the making of a pretty good Test attack without McGrath and Warne, no doubt about that. Similar to the one they have now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting thread.

If you had an attack of Gillespie, Clark and Lee/ Fleming with McGill as the spinner and, say, Miller to come in for the third quick when conditions suited, you'd be pretty well served I'd think.

Be very competitive anyways.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Interesting thread.

If you had an attack of Gillespie, Clark and Lee/ Fleming with McGill as the spinner and, say, Miller to come in for the third quick when conditions suited, you'd be pretty well served I'd think.

Be very competitive anyways.
I agree with this, but would it be rated as one of the greatest teams in Test history?

I think not, and that is why McGrath the most boring bowler in history and Warne deserve the most kudos, becasue with out them they would have been a very good team but not a great side imo:)

vcs

I agree with this, but would it be rated as one of the greatest teams in Test history?

I think not, and that is why McGrath the most boring bowler in history and Warne deserve the most kudos, becasue with out them they would have been a very good team but not a great side imo:)
Agreed, however not many countries can boast of a Test-class attack even without their frontline bowlers, therefore success against Australia when Warne/McGrath weren't playing shouldn't be glibly dismissed as meaningless.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are you forgetting his double century against Bangladesh? How many players get dropped after scoring a double century? Think he bowled well that match too.
No I could never forget the 200, but I didn't really count it towards his bowling efforts. I don't think he was the same bowler from the Ashes onwards as he was beforehand, for whatever reason.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

:-O

Blasphemy!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Loved Pistol. Pushing the ball back in towards the right hander, and then had a ripping one that held its line.

vcs

I would add Reiffel to the original post but it doesn't let me edit it anymore. 104 wickets at 26.96 deserves to be there.

BTW, I never knew he was such a capable lower order batsman. Averaged 26.52 with the bat with 6 fifties.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
I would add Reiffel to the original post but it doesn't let me edit it anymore. 104 wickets at 26.96 deserves to be there.

BTW, I never knew he was such a capable lower order batsman. Averaged 26.52 with the bat with 6 fifties.
He was very handy in ODI's as well. With bat and ball.

Burgey

For sure mate, except for the attack we put out in Steve Waugh's farewell series, which I think was ****e, frankly.

Lee was rubish around that time, Gillespie was periodicaly injured, and IIRC we had Bracken in the team for a test or two and Brad Williams ffs.

It was like a microcosm of the 80s.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For sure mate, except for the attack we put out in Steve Waugh's farewell series, which I think was ****e, frankly.

Lee was rubish around that time, Gillespie was periodicaly injured, and IIRC we had Bracken in the team for a test or two and Brad Williams ffs.

Yeah, Lee and Gillespie both had big injury clouds hanging over them throughout that series. Bichel tried hard throughout, but had a hard time of it.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Dravid would have scored agaisnt any attack in that series this was a period when he was god like.

btw Brad Willims have the most hatable face in cricket history.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That Australian attack was still better than the **** we put out that series. Thank **** for Kumble and one moment of magic from AA.