• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate Chanderpaul as a batsman?

How good is Chanderpaul?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's awesome.

EDIT: Maaaybe I wouldn't say "all-time great". But he's definitely better than "very good".

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He would struggle to make the top 15 batsman in the period that his been playing, hence why I only rated him as good.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Don't care too much for the voting criteria, almost too broad. A fantastic cricketer who when in form, was almost unmovable. I remember watching him for the first time in 1995, a skinny young kid with an ugly batting style, but he looked like he would be around for a long time.

Despite a horrible past 5 years from the West Indies, imagine that time without Chanderpaul. Shining light in a horrible era of cricket.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have masses amounts of :wub: for Chanderpaul. Brilliant player IMO.
Though agree that he's not quite and all-time great.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Post 5 and post 8
interesting
That said, he is better than his Aussie cousin Katich.
Similar batting styles.
Very good player,Shiv.
Remember a period in the 1990's where he scored many 50's,just couldn't go on to 3 figures.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rate him by taking into consideration a number of factors including, but not restricted to:
  • Runs scored
  • Technique
  • Games played
  • Opponents
  • Era played in

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Very good. One among top 10-15 West Indian batsmen ever for sure, which in itself is no mean thing (considering who all would be in the top 8-10).... And one of the 2 best West Indian batsmen in the last 20 years....

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I rate Shiv as a very good batsman who has had periods of his career where he has played like an all time great (1200 minutes batting without being dismissed on 2 occasions, England away, Australia at home etc).

To my team, he has been indispensible for a long time now, ever since they removed the floating bone in his foot. He has his peculiarities like sometimes scoring too slowly in Limited Overs cricket, but that is just what he is like, he is no ordinary cricketer.

As an openning batsman in ODI's he is absolutely phenomenal and his partnership with Gayle for 50 odd matches is up their with the best of all time statistically. His reluctance to open the batting remains a great mystery to many considering his statistics when batting there.

When all is said and done I will remember Shiv as a true West Indian batsman who just wouldn't give in and remained solid at the crease throughout, even when his teammates where throwing their wickets away without a care in the world at the other end.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd be interested in seeing your list of batsmen who are better.
So since Chanderpaul started playing...

Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Dravid
Waugh
Kallis
Jayawardene
Hayden
Inzamam
Sangakkara
MoYo
Flower
Kirsten
Smith
Sehwag
Pietersen
Clarke
Martyn
Anwar
Hussey
Gilchrist

They all probably have cases against Shiv but I'd say only 5-6 are certainly a class above.

L Trumper

State Regular
^
First 6 are the only batsman one can say clearly better. Remaining all can be argued against/for.

Edit : No love for Mark Waugh? (in the list)

Last edited: