• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate Chanderpaul as a batsman?

How good is Chanderpaul?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Players of the last 15 years who are definitely better than him imo are Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis, Ponting, Dravid, Steve Waugh and Sangakkara. He is in the same kind of league as the next tier that is players like Hayden, Inzamam, Yousuf, Younis and Jayawardene.

He is not an all time great, but is still an amazing player. In his favour when comparing him to more modern players with similar averages, is that he spent the first half of his career facing more testing attacks, and has also showed the ability to be able to bat on turning pitches and ability to play swing bowling. Also a very good performer when under pressure, which is almost always with the current WI side.

If he has a run scoring spree for 2 years where he pushes his average above 50 and comes up with some more crucial hundreds he could get into that all time list.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
he was very very good, maybe even Great, but definately not ATG. Great team man though, gave it all for us for years.

Beleg

International Regular
why isn't he an all time great?

he averages over forty against all test nations with the exception of zimbabwe. he's scored runs all over the world and has a terribly consistent record. he's been doing it for over fifteen years and he's shouldered the responsibility of being the best batsman in his team admirably.

there's a few holes in his resume - his performance in australia and pakistan's been nothing to write home about - but i am struggling to think of anybody, apart from the obvious suspects, who can match his consistency over such a large sample size.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One of my favourites as far as temperament goes.

Generally bats like his life depends on it and scores runs only when all other defensive options aren't suitable, but sometimes he just goes bat**** crazy, decides that he doesn't rate bowlers and utterly smashes them.

edit: also has a beautifully ugly technique.

Joao

U19 12th Man
Probably the best batsman ever </draft thread bias>

He is gun, one of the few I might to choose to bat if my life depended on it. Not quite as pretty to watch as some though but agree with temperament analysis above.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well definately a player for whom West Indies cricket fans will always be eternally grateful, saved us from embarressment too many times to count, also a very under rated one day batsman, especially at the top.