• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The West Indies cricket discussion thread

Craig

World Traveller
I want to know this, should Gordon Greendige be used as a batting coach for the WI openers, but also at u-19 level etc. He could have a real impact. I understand the selectors do it on a voleentery basis and not get paid. That is according to an article on carribbeancricket.com.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think any of the old pros who wish to fill such a role in West Indies cricket should be welcomed with open arms, but they should also be payed well. The things that a Walsh or Greenidge or Richards can offer the up-and-coming players are invaluable.

Craig

World Traveller
Of course they should be paid. I read in Sobers autobiography that he was offered the chance to coach the West Indies, but turned it down because he had been in Australia for about 8 years.

Does his schoolboy tournament is still held every year in Barbadoas? It was there Lara first had the chance to show how good he is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Trinidad and Tobago captured both the OD and 3D U-19 championships with first innings points in the drawn final, completed today.

Ravi Rampaul was outstanding, with 27 wickets in the tournament in 5 games.

Simmons and Ramdin also scored quite solidly for T&T.

Lendl Simmons is Phil Simmons' nephew and is a bright all-round prospect. He's a talented batsman, a useful bowler and a part-time wicketkeeper.

Denesh Ramdin is a very good young batsman and a solid wicketkeeper. He captained the U-19 side this year with obvious good results.

Some of Rampauls past achievements at U-19 level - 10 for 6 and 3/24 against the Rest of the Americas (bowled out for 12 and 104), 5/29 and 3/23 against the Leewards, 5/59 and 8/21 v Jamaica.

Craig

World Traveller
Really?

I had a look last night on Cricinfo on the scorecards on the regional U-19 Tournament held in Guyana. The teams involving Guyana, Barbados, Leeward Islands and Canada.

I'm told that the Barbados u-19 opening batsman and captain Martin Nurse is a good batsman at club level but I'm not sure if he is related to West Indies legend Seymour Nurse.

Craig

World Traveller
Ok Liam, who would you pick as WI opening batsmen?

Gayle is a certainty (IMO that is), and he has Ganga, D.Smith, and W.Hinds. Would you have Wavell Hinds opening or batting at 3?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Personally, I wouldn't play Wavell Hinds initially in a series. He seems to me like the perfect utility player. His career has been as follows....

Stage 1/ Called up to team and score runs.
Stage 2/ Lose form and get dropped.
Stage 3/ Get recalled and score runs.
Stage 4/ Lose form and get dropped.

I think he thrives on being dropped quite frankly. :P It gives him some extra impetus.

I like the look of Smith's technique, so I would give him another chance. Ganga has excellent technique, but I'm still upset with him for not grasping his opportunity v Australia.

It would be unfair to drop Hinds though because he hasn't gone into stage 2 yet. I would play him against South Africa and see what happens.

Craig

World Traveller
I know Sarwan has been used as an opener as he has a very good technique.

So the middle order would be like this:

1-Gayle
2-D.Smith
3-Sarwan
4-Lara*
5-Chanderpaul
6-Samuels?

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
IMO, In ODIs Lara MUST Come in at No.3, both statistics and observations of how he plays have proven that he bats better at No.3. Sarwan looks good in any position, I remember Boycott being hard pressed on him opening because he is just so impressive but I feel he should bat at 4 or 5 in ODIs and at No.3 in tests, He should bat at no.4 because he can hold up one end if needed and keep rotating the strike if Lara, gets early or if he has Lara partnering him. As for tests as Liam said , I think Wavell should be retained.

BTW, Liam, excellent observation on Wavell, that is! Also, Do you think Ryan Hinds will make a comeback, if so, how soon?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
I know Sarwan has been used as an opener as he has a very good technique.

So the middle order would be like this:

1-Gayle
2-D.Smith
3-Sarwan
4-Lara*
5-Chanderpaul
6-Samuels?
He's opened?

My top/middle order would be.....

1/ Gayle
2/ Hinds/Smith
3/ Sarwan
4/ Lara
5/ Chanderpaul
6/ Banks

I would treat Hinds properly by initially picking him with Smith on standby in case of loss of form. I think Banks could develop into a #3-#5 player, so I think he should be groomed at #6 from now. He's a very good batting talent.

However, I also think that Samuels should not be ignored, but he really is the 7th man IMO in the middle order. If he were an opener, it would be alot easier.

Mr Mxyzptlk

R_Powell_fan said:
BTW, Liam, excellent observation on Wavell, that is! Also, Do you think Ryan Hinds will make a comeback, if so, how soon?
Of course. Ryan Hinds is still just 22. Over the next year or so, I think he and Hurley will be pressing to play the spin-bowling allrounder role. However, I think if he is recalled he should actually get a chance to bowl a few overs on a more regular basis than Hooper allowed.

Craig

World Traveller
I was never a fan of Hooper's captaincy, I often felt he bowled himself over the proper spinners.

I hope Hurley gets picked for the one-day team as he is a brilliant fielder.

Mr Mxyzptlk

IMO Hooper was always too defensive a captain.

Re: Hurley. I can't say enough about him. He's a livewire!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Carl Hooper is really having a dream season for Lancashire. In his 11th game, Hooper is up to 1,074 runs at 76.7. He's also chipped in usefully with the ball (27 wickets at 30.59).

He may not feature again in West Indies cricket, but Hooper is proving that it's not due to lack of run-scoring capability...

He also has 596 runs at 66.22 in his 16 OD games. 13 of those games are NL games and he's scored 523 runs at 87.16 with 7 fifties in these games.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Have you ever read Beyond a boundary by CLR James Liam? I havent but I would love to get my hands on it.