• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing under each other

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin averaged 41 from in 21 tests played under Dravid as captain with 4 100s.

Dravid averaged 41 from 25 tests played Sachin with just 2 hundreds.

Interestingly Dravid averaged 58 in 12 tests under Mohd Azharuddin in exactly the same period (96 to 00) he played under Sachin!

Both significantly underperformed in relation to their career averages while playing under the other, although Dravid's is more puzzling to me.

Are there instances like this? I know Australia never really had an ex captain playing under another in the last two or three decades. I am looking at other nations, like pakistan, england, etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Until I read this I never thought about the fact that Sachin's failings came when Dravid was captain.

Not sure whether it means anything or not, but interesting nonetheless.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It is an interesting observation though. What's the story with him playing under Tendulkar and Azharuddin "over the same period"? I take it they were alternating the captaincy back and forth for a while?

Sir Alex

Banned
It is an interesting observation though. What's the story with him playing under Tendulkar and Azharuddin "over the same period"? I take it they were alternating the captaincy back and forth for a while?
Yes, captaincy of India used to musical chair during that time. (I think that's been the case ever till Ganguly took over, even he lost it after about 5 years!).

Azhar was captain till about mid 90s when he lost it to Sachin. Sachin then lost it back to Azhar in 97 I think after one of those customary away disasters. Azhar again lost it within months to Sachin, who then resigned it post the dire tour to Australia during turn of the century. Then matchfixing scandal broke out, Azhar banned for life, and Ganguly took over. Sachin has denied indian captaincy ever since, latest being asked to take over after Dravid resigned in 07.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When Dravid didn't walk in the Bangalore/Mumbai game where Sachin claimed a catch, I thought of this thread :p